1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

flotation aid with waders

Discussion in 'Beginners and Improvers' started by hedgerowpete, Sep 4, 2016.

1. hedgerowpete

hedgerowpete Member

flotation and waders,

i have just brought a pair of chest waders to use when fishing, if i was to go over in them or slip, thats a lot of water its going to hold for me to stand up in or try to swim with.

can i use a flotation aid of some form just in case , and if so how does one work out which one do i need, is it me plus so much water or just me?

what is wader basics??

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Woody33

Woody33 Member
    1. The Quicksilver Owners Club

Simple, don't wear waders anywhere other than a shallow sandy beach, or maybe at a push a shallow rocky reef. Don't wear them on steep shingle or off the rocks. Only wade as deep as you feel comfortable getting up again.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Bronzhaii

Bronzhaii Member

Hi,

Our solution to the very obvious safety issue of waders and sea fishing, is to use wet suits, not a dry or as warming; but more safe for wading out to deeper water to cast and fish. Slight inherant buoyancy of the wet suit helps when you get knocked over by a wave. Wouldn't recommend it for cold winter water in the UK, our waters only go down to 10 degrees C in the winter, so still cold, but not risking hypothermia for a fish.

We only tend to use them to wade through gullys to stand on outer sand banks, or slightly deeper situations when the sea is calm.
    Gus Kohlner 2013.jpg

Namibia in early October - international event against South Africa.

Hope that helps

Cheers from sunny Africa.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. cap'nhaddock

cap'nhaddock Member 2016 Species Hunt
    45 Species
    2017 Species Hunt
    20 Species

There are plenty of videos on youtube of people in waders jumping/falling into lakes/pools/rivers, absolutely none of them show the wearer being dragged to his death.

Simple physics, any water in the waders will weigh the same as the water outside so there is no force trying to drag you down.

Water in waders dragging people to the bottom of the ocean is a myth, one that scientific argument just cannot eradicate.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. bracklesham boy

bracklesham boy Member

But still be carefull , when the waders start to fill it can immobilize you for long enough to be dragged bye a current.

7. cap'nhaddock

45 Species
    2017 Species Hunt
    20 Species

The water pressure keeps the waders against your legs, some of the videos show the chap in the water trying to fill the waders, it doesn't happen naturally. If you're in the water it would be sensible to have a buoyancy aid or lifejacket in any case.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. hedgerowpete

hedgerowpete Member

i dont plan to go swimming or any thing else in the waders but where i am concerned is the extra weight in the filled waders when i try to stand up after falling over, i would rather some thing around my neck making sure the head bit with them holes in it are above water level and not below, lol

9. Mike Arnold

Mike Arnold Member

There's lots of lightweight sailing type life jackets out there for less than £50 if you look, just google it..

10. Blanksy

Blanksy Member

The OP has some reasonable concerns here. It's true that the density of water inside the waders is equal to that of the water outside.

However, in moving water waders may create drag if you try to hold on to static objects in a fast moving flow. They also have the potential to trap air and invert a swimmer 'feet up'. Additionally, as the OP points out, once full they will restrict mobility and add weight while staggering onto the shore or a point of safety.

:rolleyes: All of that is of course highly dependant on circumstance, many people wear waders without incident or problems :)

I know we don't do it, but surely in the respect of safety we should encourage all anglers to wear a floatation device appropriate to their style of angling.

Wading up to the chest with a water activated life jacket may be troublesome as it may inadvertently inflate - using a hydrostatic type may be another option. Alternatively there are manual (pull cord type) life jackets; but be mindful that it isn't a life jacket until you pull that toggle to inflate it. Buoyancy-aids are also an option although they can be a little more restrictive they do have the added value of both thermal and impact protection.

A little more costly, but there are also wading jackets available with built in life jackets. Mainly marketed for fly anglers these are purpose made and designed with the wading angler in mind:)

image.jpeg

:)

11. Bronzhaii

Bronzhaii Member

Hi all,

I think the point of the original poster is a correct concern. The whole point of doing a safety evaluation is to avoid the potential for the accident. There have been a lot of lives lost this year on the beaches, and to add to that would be a sorry affair.

Nobody goes down to the sea with the intention of getting into trouble, but that rogue wave or swell doesn't feature in people's plan, and that is what catches them out. Rogue wave, big backwash and the angler is potentially in a position of trouble. Keeping the breathing end of the person out of the water is a good idea.

Companies like 'Crewsaver' do a range of life jackets/PBAs, that will cover the need - manual or automatic.

A point worth considering is that the sea takes no prisoners, she is a very cruel mistress.

Cheers from sunny Africa.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blanksy

Blanksy Member

Absolutely! It is all too late looking back at the shore and thinking, I wish I had worn a life jacket.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. marc portch

marc portch Member

You could jump in and test it.... you'd know what to expect even if you do have to dry everything out. Have a mate or two handy though, obviously. :)

14. Rouge Moullet

Rouge Moullet Member

Worth a watch.......

• Like Like x 3
  15. terminalmonkey

terminalmonkey

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Gary k

Gary k Member

You could always cut some holes so that the water drains out of them:D

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. stevielh

stevielh Member

wont be seeing that on the beach at fleetwood this winter....

18. mrhook

mrhook Member

DEFO A NO NO MATE. when i was only 10 yrs old i used to go boat fishing with my grandad, and he fell in from his boat . He only had welington boots on and they took him down 2 times before i could even try to pull him back into the boat. he managed to take boots off underwater the second time down. So think about it mate waders take more filling of the wet stuff.

19. cap'nhaddock

45 Species
    2017 Species Hunt
    20 Species

I don't know why people spend a lot of money on an anchor, all they have to do is tie a pair of wellies to a rope and use them.
    Far lighter and easier to store than a big metal thing.
    And you can wear them to get home if you lose your shoes overboard.

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. mrhook

mrhook Member

if that is in answer to what i put then not funny haddock

21. cap'nhaddock

45 Species
    2017 Species Hunt
    20 Species

I thought that anyone suggesting that water is heavier than water was joking, or had absolutely no idea how the laws of physics worked.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt.

I was wrong.

22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor