1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Framed windows?

Discussion in 'Boat Owning, Equipment and Maintenance' started by blueskip, Jan 11, 2017.

1. blueskip

blueskip Member

Mumbles Belle's wheelhouse is rotten in a lot of places because basically when it was converted not enough thought was given to the durability. It looked good but the window glass was sandwiched between softwood batons etc. I think the ply used to make the wheelhouse was interior ply of too thin a gauge, & the fibreglass & resin used in the cover coat was I believe roofing quality. It has lasted for quite a while, but now it is past it, & needs to be replaced & modified, so I am picking brains.
    Would superior quality exterior ply be suitable for the carcase & if so what thickness? I was thinking 16mm or 19mm? covered in a marine quality fibreglass mat/resin/hardener? The windows have been where the major leaks have been, with the water laying on the flat surfaces & seeping down behind the fibreglass & delaminating the ply. Can you buy windows already set into either UPVC or aluminium frames that can be mounted & sealed properly. Expertise in joinery & the availability of woodworking machinery is not a problem but what materials would be suitable for making a replacement wheelhouse most certainly are. There are probably companies out there making exactly what we need, its just knowing who & where they are, so any information would be most welcome. ;)

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. lefty940

lefty940 Member

how about getting a quote from garry flyer to make a grp wheel house? can the cut windows out and seal and bolt windows to that?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. puckoon

puckoon Member

Made my deck, cabin and cockpit, out of 18mm marine ply, then epoxy coated it, followed by 2k paint system, still looks as good as when I did it a few years back, didn't skimp on materials, or cost. Window frames are rebated hardwood, that also clip over the ply structure to totally weather it, then laminated windows set in.

5. blueskip

blueskip Member

Certainly worth a thought, the cost of transportation might be prohibitive though, but I will give him a shout with the dimensions & see what he says, it would solve the problem of delamination & rot. ;)

6. puckoon

puckoon Member

Garry built a wheelhouse for me, for my new boat, its superb.

• Like Like x 1
  7. puckoon

puckoon Member

there you go.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. blueskip

blueskip Member

That certainly is a cracking looking wheelhouse, I have started a conversation with him, & seeing as we HAVE to have a new wheelhouse something like that would be perfect. I just wonder how many committee members will need resuscitation when they hear the cost lol :eek::rofl:

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. puckoon

puckoon Member

Worth every penny mate lol.

10. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor