Freezing Lugworm

Discussion in 'General Sea Angling Discussion' started by Richard(frinton), Jul 25, 2005.

1. Richard(frinton)

Richard(frinton) Member

I hope someone can help me here!
    I often dig up lug on the beach in Frinton and Clacton on sea can it be frozen and if so whats the best way
    Thanks Richard

To remove this advert Register for a FREE account

2. Andy MacBog

Andy MacBog Member

Freezing is no problem and gives a good bait for winter codding when the fresh ones are hard to find!

The standard way is to nick the head and then run your finger along the body, from the tail, towards the head, to expel the guts. You can then roll them up, on a sheet of newspaper but keeping them seperate (if they stick together they can tear or break as you seperate them).

Alternatively, I roll them up in the newspaper fresh and ungutted and never have any problems freezing this way, plus I still have all that lovely blood and guts to create a scent trail as they defrost.

I like to use them as frozen as possible so that they can get to the bottom without too much scent being washed out. On the deeper marks off the W of Scotland this becomes a bit of an issue (I think!) but I am never so bothered on the E where you are usually in 40-80 ft of water.

Oh aye! And it is worthwhile leaving them in a bucket of sea water for a few hours, to let them clear themselves of sand. They seem less likely to break then, when you are putting them on the hook.

I always find it quite eerie when you gut them as the remaining skin will undergo peristalsis, as if the worm was burrowing, for quite a long time! I guess its hard to kill a thing that does not have a brain.

Good luck and happy diggin',

Andy
  3. mickylad

mickylad

andy do you ever freeze them on hooks?? i have heard of this but never talked to any 1 who has tried it......... also heard of them being kept in a flask to keep them frozen, take them out tying them onto your rig then they keep whole and frozen till theyve been in the water a few secs ...........sounds fiddly especially in darkness in winter but interestin all the same???????
  4. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Member

Hi i started freezing lug around 25 years ago, started with keeping the lug alive in a fridge with an airiater just like you do with fish in your tank, put in the tray under the freezer, fresh sea water and air pump, keeps them alive for up to 2 weeks, handy if digging times dont allways suite work times, then if they die just roll them up in newspaper, mind you i was single then, the fridge idea worked great. I remember when i first used them frozen, everyone had agood laugh, but after a while i was the only one catching, anyway old story now. I used the same system for rag as well.
  5. Richard(frinton)

Richard(frinton) Member

Thanks for the advise everyone
    Regards Richard
  6. mickylad

mickylad

last winter up cumbria {drigg} me and me mate were talkin to some great local lads who gave us advice on fishin the area............ 1 of their tips was when using frozen black was to take it out of the freezer a couple of days before use place somwere warm and get it as smelly as you can they swear by it for cod.......but they are all divorced............dont no why :confused:
  7. D.W

D.W Member

i always freeze lugworm down if i have some left over.

i didnt think rag would behave the same way. can i use the same tactics to salt the rag down too?
  8. Norfolk Boy

Norfolk Boy Member

I'm not sure how you'll get on freezing the lug you get down there. Black lug are much tougher. I've tried gutting and freezing the blow lug but without any real success. Certainly not up to hard casting. However, it's worth experimenting.
  9. wesley cee

wesley cee Member

hey mate do any of yous no where to get bait at whitby do the tackle shops cell rag worm lug worm
  10. wesley cee

wesley cee Member

does anyone no if tjhe tackle shop in whitby sell lugworm
  11. tangles

tangles Member

I only just started freezin lug weeks ago and havent had chance to use them yet, but am going to try them at Chapel point on Monday

:laugh: