1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Frozen baits

Discussion in 'Beginners and Improvers' started by RDT, Dec 2, 2016.

1. RDT

RDT Member

I've just started fishing again now that my kids have grown up. I've recently bought some frozen Mackerel/Squid and Peeler Crabs. I away out fishing on Sunday if i don't use all the bait, what the advise on re-freezing it?
    Fyi - I'll be fishing of the coast in Peterhead Scotland, so i doubt the weather will be warm enough to completely defrost everything. :):)

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Roryk11

Roryk11 Member

Mackerel and sandeels don't refreeze very well black lugworm do freeze and crabs to I've found can be refrozen caught a few fish on refrozen crab but that's me never tried squid so not too sure

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. fishingmad26

fishingmad26 Member

Some won't re freeze any bait but I agree with Rory, mackerel goes mushy and hard to cut and hook, squid is good to refreeze maybe once or twice

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. fishingmad26

fishingmad26 Member

Too save having to re freeze baits separate your frozen baits into session rations. When u buy a box of squid let it defrost just enough to separate into blocks of however many u will need for a session so if u always use half a box of squid and re freeze the rest then partially defrost and separate in half then freeze again then u wont need to re freeze anything. Do the same with mackerel, I used to take a whole pack of 3 mackerel but would only use one so would refreeze 2 then would take 2 again and re freeze another one by the time the third one comes out its fcked lol just take what u need. Keep it in a cool bag/box with ice blocks and things should stay frozen anyway

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gorby

gorby Member

I re-freeze sandeel and squid many times, just discard any frozen squid if it turns pink. I find that refrozen sandeel, some refrozen many times have caught some of the best rays I've had - someone suggested that they make break down more quickly in the tide - so try it. Also works well for refrozen bluey

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. RDT

RDT Member

cheers for the feedback, great idea to freeze the bait into session rations.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Peloquin

Peloquin Member

I mush up most defrosted baits...fish, squid etc and tip all the juices in. Sling it into a tub and freeze.
    When I go fishing I chop a section of the frozen block and put it in an old mesh bag and tie it to the tripod with line/string. Lob it in the water when you get there, still frozen solid and by the time you have set up and cast out there's a nice slick forming.
    Doesn't need to be on your hook to help catch.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Timbc2

Timbc2 Member

This time of year bait doesn't go off the same as in summer, so I'd refreeze for next session.

In summer when it goes off quicker I freeze it, after a session, to put in my collapsible crab/lobster pot next time I'm fishing a deep rock mark or use it for ground bait.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. fishy_steve

fishy_steve Member

Same as everyone else, find squid refreezes ok once and black lugworm but the rest i have not had much luck with.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Friendly Fisher

Friendly Fisher Member

Caught a Golden Grey Mullet with mackerel that had been refrozen twice...? Seemed to work fairly well assuming mullet are finicky creatures.

• Like Like x 1
  12. crack off colin

crack off colin Member

I put a lot of frozen squid, sandeels , black lug into a metal flask and only take out what I need. When I bait up this way it keeps the bait frozen through the session so I am only using what I need.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Yozzer

Yozzer Member

I`ll ref-freeze mack and use it for huss/conger sessions....squid refreezes pretty well and i`ll re-freeze crab and sandeel,use it with squid wrap for rays/huss.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. valleyboy

valleyboy Member

I find mackerel and sandeel go pretty quick in summer and the fresher they are the better they work. I still freeze them for groundbaiting for mullet and livebaits .I freeze everything else .the cooler you can keep it during a session the better it freezes

• Like Like x 3
  15. this, get a wide mouth flask for your frozen peeler crabs. a normal flask does for black lug and they will present better on the hook. up your way most of your fish will be caught on fish baits like mackerel, even the cod though cocktails can help some days.
    i had a nice catch of cod/codling not too far south of you a few days ago, all caught on frozen bait,so it does the job fine.
    cheersrab

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. RDT

RDT Member

Lots of great tips/ideas guys :):)

17. stevielh

stevielh Member

at the moment im freezing everything...including rag and blowlug.. the plan is to stuff it into squid for large cod baits...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. valleyboy

valleyboy Member

Seem to be the way to go for big baits especially now cart style baits are becoming popular further south

19. John Mason

John Mason Member

Mackerel and sandeels refreeze OK but there is a technique. Cover them in table salt and leave for 24 hours and then store in the freezer. Makes them nice and tough. The whiting love them so it always means you have bait for a quick whiting session.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. ken1989

ken1989 Member

I try to refrezze everything I can, some of the congers I caught are from squid and macky thats been frozen twice even 3 times, if the fish is there, he or she will take it.:)

• Like Like x 1
  21. ryancooper86

ryancooper86 Member

I always use Shimano's Squid Jigs. I just love those lures....

22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor