1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Glow in the dark tape for rod tip

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by IMAndrew, Jan 11, 2017.

1. IMAndrew

IMAndrew Member

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Sifta Sam

Sifta Sam Member

The blurb says its 1.6mm thick and stiff, probably not suitable for rod tips, might be OK to stick on other kit so you don't lose it in the dark.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sniggle

sniggle Member

Most glow in the dark product are not all that good with the exception of some expensive isotopes.

Not being a tackle tart i use white undercoat + headtorch, it works !

5. IMAndrew

IMAndrew Member

Thanks for the replies. I have ordered Mighty Bright Tape which should work well on the rod tips anyway.

Think I will decorate my tripod with this glow in the dark tape so it will stand out in the dark. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ftp900

Ftp900 Member

Just a heads up on the tapes, some of em are really thick and make you tip look crap, I think its gemini who do a really thin one , I cut mine in a strip about 4mm thick and spiral it up the tip so it has 4mm of untaped blank showing , this way the white tape shows in the dark and the black blank contrasts the sky,some of the thick tapes bonding is rubbish as well, not tried the reflective black stuff yet

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. hughes66

hughes66 Member

mighty bright is great on its ownyou wont need anything else

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. The Third Earl

The Third Earl Member

I was put onto this stuff by a post on here, its as good as any, thin so it doesnt make the rod tip look like a broom handle, and better than most, at £2.99 for 10 feet it can be cut to a narrower width, giving you 20 ft for less than £3.00, free postage as well. Sticks like $ hit to a blanket,

Its a no brainer.

http://www.moglo.co.uk/#!/5mm-Reflective-strips/p/66467188/category=15313089

Here is one of my rod tips, in the light from my headlamp.

image.jpg

Dave

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. IMAndrew

IMAndrew Member

Thanks Dave for the link. I have ordered a pack in RED to go with my Mighty Bright White as a contrast. I have 4 rods to do up so am thrilled. :)

Since the fishing is dreadful and weather not looking good, might as well take the time to give my rods a touch up. Also bought some Diamond Wrap X shrink tube to refurbish the grips of my surf rods.

Going to strip the bearings of my Mag Elites and clean them, and change the speed bullets. The rod and reels definitely need a clean up :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. sealine19

sealine19 Member

you need to get a hobby

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. IMAndrew

IMAndrew Member

Agree :)
    Guess most of you anglers clean and polish your reels and rods, and tie your rigs in your spare time. Everything stored neatly in your tackle room or shed.

Well, I have never been able to get that done. Had my pair of multis for 20 years and have only cleaned the bearings 3 times so far. Last was probably 8 years ago so, due a clean up. Rods are old and needs a bit of a tart up. I know I am bad. :(

But don't think I will take up the hobby of buying and collecting new rods and reels like you guys do :D

• Like Like x 2
  12. mike hemming

mike hemming Member

mighty bright all the way for me

• Like Like x 1
  13. barnacle

barnacle Member

Get some SOLAS tape, cut it into thin strips and spiral it down the tip. Luminous tape is in the same category as rod bells and tip lights in my opinion..

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. bald dodge

bald dodge Member

8 years without cleaning your reel bearings, I take it you don't use the reel very often.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. basslawine

basslawine Member

Hi, I did play a little bit with glow in the dark powder, when rebuilding a shimano diaflash 3-piece for multiplier.
    coated the tip with bondaseal 3 times:
    1. mixed with titaniumdioxide for white coat/reflection
    2.& 3. coat mixed with strontiumaluminate (glow powder)
    gives in summary quite a heavy coat of about 0.6mm but works fine so far (not cracking).

fully loaded (with UV-torch) its very bright for the first 30 seconds, after that you have about 50% of the max. brightness left.
    Then it decreases slowly in 10-15 minutes to 10% (or something, just guessing), which last four 2h or longer.
    In reality i have recharged the tip with the UV any 10 minutes.

will try to make some pics later with setting my camera to fully manual mode, maybe then its better to compare.

regards
    Marco

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. IMAndrew

IMAndrew Member

Well, the glow in the dark roll of tape arrived Friday, and have been experimenting with it.
    It is really Glow in the dark after just shinning my headlamp on it for a few seconds.
    The tape is not too thick and manageable for spiraling down the tips of my rods.

Also ordered Moglo tape online which looks a bit like Mighty bright to try. Quick free delivery.
    http://www.moglo.co.uk/#!/5mm-Reflective-strips/p/66467188

I used a bit of it on top of the glow in the dark wrapped rod tips. Here are the results below in a pic.

Glow in the dark Mighty bright.jpg

Well, I like the Glow in the Dark as it really glows !
    And it protects my rod tip from scratches and hairline damages ... etc.
    Since we all shine our headlamps periodically to check for bites, the glow in the dark gets recharged and starts to glow brighter again. Still possible to see the rod after 5 hrs in the dark.

Now waiting for Mighty Bright to see if it is better than MoGlo strip, and then design a wrapping pattern which I like over the Glow in the dark Rod Tips. 1 roll is just enough to line 4 rod tips of about 3 feet lengths.

Andrew :)

17. IMAndrew

IMAndrew Member

Yes Moglo is great. Got the White and Red and does as well as mighty bright, and half the price as it is double the length.

The Glow in the Dark tape is wonderful and really works. Just finish decorating the 4 rods I normally fish with.
    Tips really start glowing even in the daylight. Adding the Moglo tape over it makes it reflect brightly in the headtorch beam.
    Just fitted the X wrap shrink tube over the handles and feels so good.
    Not works of art, but practical to my needs for fishing the beach.

Now, just to finish building my DIY rod dryer so I can hi gloss it with Flexi-Coat rod finish to protect the tape from the elements.
    Next week then :)

No Flash.jpg Flash.jpg Close3.jpg Long2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Cornish seaangler

Cornish seaangler Member

I use Flouro spray paint and a UV torch. Shines like the sun!!!!

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. IMAndrew

IMAndrew Member

Thanks for the tip on using a UV torch. Got to get one now. :happydance:
    How powerful is your UV torch ? Any links on Ebay or Amazon ?

20. Cornish seaangler

Cornish seaangler Member

To be honest I had a pile left over from building a grow tank for a different project and had a cheapy garage 9 LED torch that I converted. There are plenty on Ebay etc with clamps to attach it to your rod rest.
    Tested mine after painting the rod tip and it would glow with the torch around 15 yards away and the batteries are half dead!!!!!
    I have mine low down on one of the front legs shining up at my rod tips. I made a shield from a piece of pipe to stop the glare as it does look really bright when it catches your eyes.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360-Rotat...158704?hash=item1c749753b0:g:ibEAAOSwux5YPakl
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium...653667?hash=item3f52c61823:g:Mn0AAOSw~gRV4t~B
    Don't know if this holder will take the torch but that's the idea.
    Hope this helps

• Useful Useful x 1
  21. IMAndrew

IMAndrew Member

Thanks for the information mate.
    I have been fishing with a small Led torch that comes with the same clip on your link, mounted on my tripod to shine at my rods.
    So, I just ordered a UV Led torch that is quite similar to that, so hope it fits my clip.
    Amazon prime ... arriving Saturday ... next day delivery.... in a few hours.... yeh :BigGrin:

Will look for a piece of pvc pipe to shield my light as recommended by you. ;)

Wonderful idea, as never had a clue how to do that till now. Thanks again :rofl:

22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor