1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

got all the gear but got no idea- spinning rod help please

Discussion in 'Beginners and Improvers' started by daz27, Mar 18, 2012.

1. daz27

daz27 Member

hi all, been beach fishing for the last year or so using beach casters, however saw a 6 foot spinning rod and reel last week for a price i couldnt turn down so bought it. it arrived so got it out the box and put it together, looked impressive but then it suddenly dawned on me i have no idea where to use it or what species can be targeted with it. my plan was to keep it to hand when im out just in case the makkies make an appearance, but apart from that ive not really got a clue. any advice would be greatfully recieved
    cheers
    daz
  2. roryodonnell

roryodonnell Member

Without knowing the casting rating, I would thought not much really, save for verticle fishing. Ie, off a kayak, boat or a deep mark like a pier?

:idea:
  3. daz27

daz27 Member

cheers mate there a couple of local areas with piers that i could give a go, im guessing (as ive seen people there before) that i just buy a lure, attach it to the line and away i go?
  4. Uglystick23

Uglystick23 Member

I started with a carp rod off the marina puling in 3 mackeral and a pollack in one hit....so I dont think youve made an error as such, read the writing down the side and it should give you an idea for more advice

makies love feathers, daylights flashes and dexter wedges, cheap as chips, or float and mackeral stips

you'll need to know if you can land the fish wothout breaking the rod,,,otherwise you'd need a drop net
  5. weepete

weepete Member

Loads Of fish can be caught on a wee spinning rod matey. Chances are more than you think. Wrasse, pollock, cod, poorcod, pout, mackerel, sea trout, salmon, sea bass, flounder, dabs, even strap conger are targetable even with a spinning rod. Gobies, gurnards, butterfish, scorpionfish are all catchable mini species as well.

Try a simple single hook paternoster and small hook. Cast in the surf, turbulent water and to the sides of it. Control your wee rod away from snags and you will see a couple of fish matey!
  6. daz27

daz27 Member

thanks guys have got feathers and gonna look at lures later. will have a look what it says on the rod when i get the chance
  7. baitdigger

baitdigger Member

As stated earlier we have no idea of the rod rating but if you are after mackerel I think it would be a good idea to start with if you cut down your feather strings so they dont have more than two or three feathers on them. To get the best out of the mackerel and your rod try them on a soft plastic or small spoon or dexters wedge so you can catch them one at a time. you may pick up pollack, bass or garfish amongst other things
  8. daz27

daz27 Member

just had a look it says 1411-165 down the side. does that mean anything to anyone?
    thanks
    daz
  9. Boys@Newtown

Boys@Newtown Member

That is a shakespear code does it have a trigger rel seat or normal one also is it 6ft or 5ft 4in

it should be a light spinning rod use single lures tobies or dexter type, not sets of feathers, fish close to the water so that you do not have to lift fish try it in your local estuary just cast as far as you can and wind in many times until you catch a fish, or your arms feel like lead
  10. daz27

daz27 Member

yeah is a shakespaeare 5ft 4, not sure on the diference between trigger or normal but reel sits virtually right at bottom of rod, ok nice one ill leave the feathers in my box and get a dexter and maybe a net. cheers
  11. woodlandcreator

woodlandcreator Member

Nets are a must as you can very easily snap the line, pull the hook out the fishes mouth or occassionally break the rod if your really unlucky. Just make sure its got a good reach on it (4-6 feet) and when its on a peir a drop net is the only way to go, especially if you hit into a biggen! Plus using a net means far less damage to the fish. Best to get them from a tackle shop too as you'll be able to ask how to use them and get an answer straight away. Plus maybe take the rod down and ask them directly as they can explain the best casting action, weights of lures and style of retreival of each lure etc..

Good luck
  12. Boys@Newtown

Boys@Newtown Member

this rod is made for small multiplier reels and for one handed casting, more american style than uk, ideal for trying drop shot fishing (google it) or use off a kayak, beware of large fish as it will test the power you have in your wrist
  13. captainmorgans1

captainmorgans1 Member

Light spinning rods can be great fun. For me from a pier is the perfect place. A small drilled bullet with a eddystone eel attached cuts down your costs and pollock love them (black with red tail.) Tobys & dexter wedges also good a bit more expensive though. Floated sand eel or mackeral strip, often down the side of the pier is the best spot for pollock, coalies, wrasse and occasional codling (great sport for mackeral in the summer.) If there is a clean sandy bottom stick on a drilled bullet some beads and mackeral belly and there is a chance of some flatties. Tight lines.