1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Got my quiver (got my new second rod)

Discussion in 'Shore Angling' started by NickK-UK, Dec 29, 2016.

1. NickK-UK

NickK-UK Member

Main rod - Vecelli Unabomber 450 100-250g will put 6-7oz+bait out a decent distance with a overhead thump. This thing is a bit of a beast but not heavy enough to prevent picking up small fish takes in the surf. The only issue I have with this rod is that my little 8ft spinning rod will pick up fish bites that this rod won't (at least being obvious)..
    Here it is being tested for a week straight off the kent coast..

photo 3.JPG

New second rod - Vercelli Superfast 420 100-200g arrived today ..
    15781550_10154860119574244_4408490263826345251_n.jpg

That tip.. is as thin as my Agility Sea Spin 8ft 20-50g..
    15726426_10154860119579244_2934014912226831446_n.jpg

Ohh do I think this will be a good second rod - 3-4-possibly 5oz max to mid distance or close in.. flatties ahoy!

The rod build is different to the Unabomber, whereas the power tip of the UB450 seems to be a continuation of the blank diameter, the SF420 has a notable switch in diameter just before the last white area binding - still this rod looks like it's really going to pick up any whiting, flattie or gobies.. (LRF?)

Next trip out is a boat.. but fingers crossed a shore trip will be soon enough..

Edit: add that the rod weighs 510g. My agility uptide weighs 545 and my 50lb boat road weighs 610g. IIRC the unabomber weighs a bit more but <600g (590 seems to ring a bell). So a light reel..

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Bykerfisher

Bykerfisher Member

Be good to see how you get on m8 up in the northeast we need a beefy rod as there's a lot rough ground marks. Do you use braid ? As I've got 70lb straight through and picks the littlest of fish up on my kompressor

4. NickK-UK

NickK-UK Member

Normally 20-30lb braid and 50-80lb shock leader depending on the rod. I have 50lb too but typically don't use it.

I'd say we're mixed, clean and the odd occasional rock (but then i'd break out the uptide with 8-10oz with big bait and enough distance into the rocks to bring a bite).

I was out catching bass in france in the UB450 on clean ground/mixed with a killer wind and a nasty set of waves. Still got out far enough and the top was subtle enough to not need more than 170g of grip lead.. nodding each wave in.

5. gert

gert Member

Hi,

never tried a Vercelli, so can't comment your rods ... but you have good taste in beer! :thumbsup:

Gert

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. FishySaint

FishySaint Member

I have 2 vercelli's, the spira azzura and the Alba. Both excellent rods that weigh next to nothing. Both tips are very thin but don't be fooled. The build quality especially on the white and more expensive alba is amazing. Both will send 6oz plus a full whole squid bait miles into the sunset! Best rods I've owned (except for my shimano aero super surf).
    Don't be shy with them as both will take a pasting!!

7. NickK-UK

NickK-UK Member

Up with 175g the unabomber 450 rewards you if you adopt a overhead thump "you gotta bend it to send it" approach.

From what I've read 125g is a good point for the SF420, with it being less happy with 150g.

I've seen a YouTube video of Casting 200g and the bend doesn't look too happy.

8. FishySaint

FishySaint Member

Maybe not but, the engineering is good and they hold up. Probably wouldn't try pendulum casting though !!

9. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor