1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Hello from Salisbury, Wiltshire.

Discussion in 'Newbie Introduction Forum' started by Paul C., Aug 28, 2016.

1. Paul C.

Paul C. Member

Evening guys,

New to sea fishing and looking forward to gaining knowledge from you.

I have previously fished in Cyprus after living there for a while, nothing serious just a few trips out now and again when the mood took me. I recently took my son on a three hour trip from Bridport, which we both really enjoyed.

I think now is the time to start getting more into the sport, particularly the boat fishing side of things.

I'm looking at a fairly inexpensive set up to begin with and have been looking at the Abu Garcia combo comprising of Abu Garcia Seven rod and Multiplier. If I could have your opinion on that, I'd be grateful.

I have seen the link to Rig making which is a really useful guide so my thanks to the gentleman who posted that.

Anyway, thanks guys.

Paul

• Like Like x 2
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Nick Phillips

Nick Phillips PLASTIC FANTASTIC The hard plastic and rubber guy Deputy Administrator Lure Fishing Section Moderator
    1. Topwater Hardbait Club

Welcome to WSF :)

4. vdubsmudge

vdubsmudge Member

Welcome Paul. .couple of us on here close by or pass through Salisbury on the way through to chesil ..we are not the best so don't take it it too seriously and have a good laugh.more than welcome to come along if you wish to do so..can't help you with your rod choice as I'm not into boat fishing..there is a section on here that's solely for that so you will get a better answer from there.

5. Clear as Mud

Clear as Mud Member

Welcome Paul. As said there are a few that travel through Salisbury en-route to the shingle. Unfortunately I don't get out as much as I would like due to working away. I do boat and shore fishing mate and would say the Abu reels of late (Chinese) are not the same as the older versions and lack the build quality. To be honest, some of my boat gear is from the second hand market which you can get some good deals on.....my most recent being a conoflex 20lb rod for 45 notes inc postage.....turned out to be cracking rod. With regards to a reel....why not look at a second hand abu 7000 (Swedish) or a slosh 20/30....these will cover most types of fishing around our coastline. But as with all fishing equipment.....depends on what your budget is but you can get some half decent outfits for not a lot of money. Have a look at the TF Gear stuff on ebay...multi tip boat rod and 7000 size reel...might suit your needs and wont break the bank.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Solent area

Solent area Guest

Welcome mate

7. Chippy Jim

Chippy Jim Member

Speak for yourself smudge . Welcome to wsf mate. Always join us one day

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Can't help you with the rod and reel review, but you will find a never ending stream of good advice from most on here.

Tight lines.

9. Chippy Jim

Chippy Jim Member

I use Abu rods mate. Love the 12/20 will handle anything

10. Paul C.

Paul C. Member

Sorry for the late reply guys, have been in Germany for a few days. Thank you for the welcome and would definitely be interested in hooking up for some fishing (Please excuse the terrible pun!)

• Like Like x 1
  11. vdubsmudge

vdubsmudge Member

Won't be saying that if ivats is with us:D

12. Chippy Jim

Chippy Jim Member

Get a crash helmet

13. vdubsmudge

vdubsmudge Member

He said he has been to Germany not his name is helmet!

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. bassbites

bassbites Member

a big welcome from Poole

• Like Like x 1
  15. gordon wedgwood

gordon wedgwood Member

Hi and welcome to the forum

16. forrest22

forrest22 Member

Hi Paul, I fish on the charter boats out of Poole and while quality gear is nice, to start I'm sure the combo you mention will be adequate for almost any fish you are likely to catch from the inshore waters. If you want to try mid channel wrecking then it might be worth going for more quality as the demands on the tackle are far greater.
    Most skippers will provide hire tackle if needed and this is often used daily and abused consistently, it tends to be the cheaper brands / older models and yet it still handles 20lb plus fish without problems.
    I also see a lot of more experienced anglers using older equipment that the purists would scorn at, Mitchell 624's seem quite common.
    I have only recently got back into charter fishing after a 30 year break and I started with a cheap Leeda Icon M30 matched to a Ugly Stick GX2 20-30, total cost around £85. The rod is great but after a year I've had to replace the reel and gone more upmarket but the reel did ok while I was finding my feet again, catching plenty of double figure fish.
    My point is that boat fishing is an expensive pastime, even more so if you are taking your son, so finding a good boat and skipper are more important than expensive tackle. You can add to your tackle as your skills develop but nothing beats going out for a few hours and having a go. The good skippers want everyone to catch, especially newbies as they are their future customers.
    Check out charterboats-uk.co.uk for a list of individual spaces on boats leaving Poole or Weymouth as I'm guessing they are most convenient to you.

17. Paul C.

Paul C. Member

Well guys, my stuff has arrived.

The rod came in an absolutely massive box :) One of those cardboard 8 foot long tubes! My thanks to Fishtek (sp) for ensuring that everything arrived in good order.

I also ordered a ton of terminal tackle from UK Hooks which was recommended from here so I have attempted some Paternoster rigs, which look ok for a first attempt.

What do you guys use for boat fishing as a general all rounder? I understand the principals between sandy and rough bottom but do you have a go to rig? Single, double or triple?

Also just wound 250m of 30lb braid onto the multiplier, any comments on braid over mono?

Sorry for the bone newbie questions but I need you guys as I am pretty much brand new.

Cheers for any help.

Paul

18. vdubsmudge

vdubsmudge Member

If your going braid buy the cheap China stuff from ebay..from what I've read you will be changing it often so not worth paying out for the big names!...think I would have gone heavier for boat fishing but then I'm as new as you are good luck bud

19. Chippy Jim

Chippy Jim Member

Go for 29lb j braid mate been using it this year not a problem so far.

20. Paul C.

Paul C. Member

If any of you lads are going fishing anytime soon I'd be grateful of an invite. Either boat or shore.

Can make a passable brew :cool:

If shore fishing I will just watch and learn.

21. Chippy Jim

Chippy Jim Member

Well you will need to practice making drink then we want only the best as we sit there watching are rods not moving

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor