1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Holy grail?

Discussion in 'Tackle & Equipment Discussions' started by Hunter's Moon, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Hunter's Moon

Hunter's Moon Member

Just a little fun post borne out of curiosity. Having heard whispers about a 14ft FS Daiwa tdpk, I would love to get my hands on one in the future (if it even exists). I also intend to search out a Shakespeare Sigma 2200/080 at some point, as their toughness is legendary.

What I was wondering is this: what would be your holy grail or grails? What long-discontinued rods or reels would you love to stumble across at a boot fair? Is there a piece of tackle you always wanted as a kid but never managed to get hold of, or possibly a limited edition run of something that would complete a collection?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. sandeel268

sandeel268 Member

There was a fixed spool reel I had when I was 10 and hammered it ,it was a Shakespeare which I bought in Prima tackle in the town center , I gave the reel to a mate who dropped It down the rocks on the local pier when I was about 20 and it sunk into the deep blue sea and we never seen it again . I came across the same reel on EBay earlier this year and bought it for a tenner with postage, it runs like a Swiss watch , a tad heavy but it's a lovely piece of engineering , rock solid and made as reels used to be of steel and not plastic , of course now the sentimentality has kicked in and now I am looking for a Shakespeare 10ft heavy spin rod which it used to pair up with , no such luck on the boot sale front yet but one will turn up eventually ,the other piece of kit which I love is an Abu Royal Commodore Storm beach rod and an Abu 323 mag reel from 1987 ,still get them out quite often and I have a lot of top end gear Zziplex etc but this combo for the surf is just superb and as I said from 1987 , almost 30 years old.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gowerpower

gowerpower Member

Amorphous whisker uptider, 2-8oz :)

I had the privilege of owning an AWB126 & AWB129 for beach fishing and were awesome :)

Seen the boat version a few times and lovely rods!

5. tone2012

tone2012 Member

No sniggering at the back there. Silstar edge surf (14ft) and edge spinning. I have the edge carp, bass and feeder rods and they are all superb rods. Silstar threw everything into the edge range and they should not to be mixed up with the cheap stuff they did. All pre 1995 when the company went bust.

Re. the 14ft daiwa, this is the third one I saw on gerry ebay last year.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/DAIWA-PAUL-KERRY-TDPK-14-FT-NEU-UNGEFISCHT-NATURKODER-ODER-CASTING-SELTEN-/122265297627?rmvSB=true&clk_rvr_id=1147705437078&nma=true&si=219J%2B3W%2FkLCipAPIM07W11CepZs%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

• Like Like x 1
  6. fechellbaits

fechellbaits Member

not a rod or reel but I would love to find a batch of unopened" BAITSAFES." need about 200 please.....these excellent little rag coffins where brilliant for flattie fishing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pelamid

Pelamid Member

A few months ago I was trawling ebay and came across a Conoflex Mirage 45 three piece. Advertised as "Buy it Now" £125 or "make an offer"

There was already one offer on it and I felt £125 was a fair price anyway (I think that included delivery!) - so I paid full price immediately.

I had been looking for one of these for some years, always missed them by minutes or a few pounds!

Now I am really pleased with the buy, but got rid of the old Fuji BNHG and am playing about with fixed spool ring choices.

Sometimes something is "just right" - this Conoflex is certainly in that category!

8. The Third Earl

The Third Earl Member

9. essexkenny

essexkenny Member

Now have the privilege of owning a daiwa TDXS 129PM bought from another member on here.... superb rod, casts great real powerful, and shows bites a treat.
    Not leaving my posession now lol

10. are soles fish?

are soles fish? Member

I could ask the Old Leg End that is Paul Kerry if you want to know if it exists.

11. tournamag

tournamag Member

Ive one of those plus WKT 12M sold an almost brand new TDPK12 year or so a go.
    Also have a century Slammer and zippy Federation
    Few boat rods ones an ABU 30/50R and 30lb igfa conoflex nice rod but never use now selling them soon along with my Shimano twinpower 4/10 uptide

Have one of the Original 65 CT's bluey silver and a clean abu 10000 plus a Daiwa 7000C fixed spool tough as ole boots

12. Hunter's Moon

Hunter's Moon Member

Thanks for that. I've already been told that it does - apparently, they were designed with the continental market in mind.

13. Poorcod

Poorcod Member

Century Scratcha

14. ken1989

ken1989 Member

Picked a shaky sigma up in my local boot sale around 6 months ago. £10 ;)

15. Hunter's Moon

Hunter's Moon Member

Lucky sod.:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  16. stewpot

stewpot Member

Its not sea fishing tackle but I saw an old 'Shakespeare Strike' 3 piece at a car boot last year. Overcome with nostalga I paid the £3 for what was my first ever rod over 30 years ago. Fate seemed to be at work when my dad found my equally old Mitchell 206 reel in a garage clear out, so I strapped one to the other and took 'em down to a local lake to try a bit of float fishing.

Jesus they were shyte!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. sandeel268

sandeel268 Member

Hi Ken ,is the Sigma the 13ft version with the steel eyes , if so very nice feel to it ,if my memory serves me right.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ken1989

ken1989 Member

Hi Paul, crossed lines mate, I had the sigma fixed spool reel from the boot sale, 2200 series 080, probably older than me but I've always liked vintage tackle etc, nice feeling catching on old gear.;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. tournamag

tournamag Member

Had one of those but not sure what the "Scratcher" refers to? as stiff as a broom 5oz goes out on it well

20. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor