1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

inverbervie beach

Discussion in 'Shore Angling' started by Gooseisloose, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Gooseisloose

Gooseisloose Member

Hi guys, I'm going to bervie beach with the my club for the first time. I'm a newbie to the club but that's is where our first match is. What is the best bait to be using there and any hints or tips

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. highlandshorecaster

highlandshorecaster Member

Mate surely the guys in the club can help you out?

If you mean Inverbervie it is primarily a Cod beach.
    Steep shelving with fairly deep water in close.
    A forty or fifty yard cast puts you in a kelpy channel if I remember correctly.
    For fishing a match there I personally would make 2 or 3 hook flappers (depending on how many hooks you are allowed) with a six foot rig body and the hook snoods spread top, middle and bottom.
    Rig body sixty pound mono and hook snoods 30lb and about 24 inches in length with a 1/0 hook which is strong enough to land a decent codling even with a bit of a swell and still small enough to take any flatties or smaller fish that might be around.
    Alternatively you could go bigger and fish a 3/0 pulley pennel rig if you want and think that a decent stamp of codling are around. Try sixty pound rig body with a 40lb hook snood around 3 foot in length.
    I always take a selection of rigs and at least 4 of each, in fact for match fishing I might carry around sixty plus rigs of various permutations.
    Bait wise lugworm tipped with squid or mussel should catch and if you can get hold of any peeler crab then even better.
    Might be worth taking some bluey or mackerel as well.
    Seriously though speak to the guys in the club either before or after the match to get tips etc they should help you out but don't disturb them whilst the match is in progress!!
    Good luck and enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gooseisloose

Gooseisloose Member

this will be my first match so i want to go prepared and have the right baits. It a match so obv im not going to want to disturb them. Hence why i want to find out the things i asked above so that i can go get a few things before the AGM for the club on wed. so im sure ill find out what the match rules etc. and baits there but i cant go up in the week so before wed is my only chance to get things

5. Stu_

Stu_ Member

Some good advice there, highlandshorecaster.

6. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor