1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing - for a full statement please see the following thread:

VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing

Dismiss Notice

Jump Starter

Discussion in 'Boat Owning, Equipment and Maintenance' started by gowerpower, Jan 8, 2017.

1. gowerpower

gowerpower Member

Hi all,

I had to help a neighbour get his boat jump started yesterday when I got back to my berth as he had a flat battery. Thankfully he was just in the Marina and was moving his boat over to serviced and was not going out to sea!

This got me thinking about the jump starter packs for cars.

do you think that something like this would have enough juice to start a decent sized 4 stroke (85hp)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M30ZCB5?ref_=ams_ad_dp_ttl

I have got a two battery set-up but useful for myself and maybe someone else who was stuck and wanting to get home but not taking up a huge amount of space in the cabin?

Any other suggestions of something that maybe suitable? Always on the look-out to improve safety gear so would value anyones reccomendations.....

Thanks!

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. snitch

snitch Member

I have a (Angry Jester) starter pack able to start upto a 2500 Diesel engine and it's only just a bit bigger than an iPhone
    We now keep them in all our limo's just in case. They do work well and we have started a flat 4 ltr straight six with one I now take one out with us just as a backup

4. Glenlivet

Glenlivet Member

I've bought one as a back up, apparently capable of starting a 2.5 litre diesel. My Mariner 60 EFI is 990cc, so like a motorbike engine. Should start that easily and will also charge phone etc as well.

5. fish`n`chips

fish`n`chips Member

i have had one for a year or 2 now, never leave the bay without it in winter, although i don`t think i`ll need it but just incase, as i have all electrics on and not flattened the battery yet lol it`ll start your engine without the battery connected lol should be part of everyones emergency kit imo

6. gowerpower

gowerpower Member

Which one you got? The one in the Anazon link or the Angry Jester? Thanks!

7. fish`n`chips

fish`n`chips Member

8. JonD

JonD Member

I only have a single battery setup on my current boat so carry this one http://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/mobile/shop/product/26093/tdr02011.html

It's already been used to start large Toyota diesel landcrusiers at the boat ramp on several ocassions. It also trimmed down a yam 225 4stroke and started it after both batteries had been left on draining them flat.

The above model I use goes under many different brand names. I must admit I put off buying one for some time untill I was in an outboard mechanics garage who swore by them. You will need more amps for diesels like the one I have, I also believe cold can effect the performance ( something I don't need to worry about).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  9. back lash

back lash Member

ive had a few of the bigger starter packs and have been very handy. i must admit this is the first time ive seen these little ones aint it fantastic the tec of today.

10. Steveh24

Steveh24 Member

The new generation Lithium battery packs are definitely the way to go, I have this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261932176465?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I've tested it with my boats VW 5 Cylinder 150 Turbo diesel by fitting a completely dead battery and connecting the Pro Booster and it starts it first time.

The nice thing about them is that they stay charged for months unlike a conventional battery pack which weighs a ton, but ironically I've not yet needed it for either my car or boat.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  11. paul_h

paul_h Member

12. No Worries

No Worries Member

I have one always on my boat I got mine in Australia it will start a 2.5 litre engine ,can also charge my phone and iPad up with it .
    Had a problem with my last boat a 90 hp outboard stared no problem
    Don .

13. Clinker

Clinker Member

Of the ones featured so far

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M30ZCB5?ref_=ams_ad_dp_ttl £47.00

http://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/mobile/shop/product/26093/tdr02011.html £145 if we can get it in the UK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261932176465?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT £120.00

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOCO-GB40...784881?hash=item5d6bc13db1:g:GUcAAOSwhkRWgmK8 £115.00

There's a massive price variation.

How well does the £47.00 work? - I have a 'proper' twin battery set up, plus I carry a spare fully charged battery. For £47.00 I would consider a jump pack - it would be a lot easier than swapping in my spare (both batteries are awkward to get to and remove) - at £115.00 I'm starting to think I've already covered enough bases with what I have.

14. Steveh24

Steveh24 Member

Andrew, you get what you pay for and even the starter I have at £115 was well under list price, but the new lithium technology is vastly superior to to old style jump packs that you had to keep charged or they were useless and certainly the starter I have has remained fully charged for 5 months now, I dare say your fully charged battery will need topping up more frequently than this and I can use my jump starter on virtually any vehicle or boat,

I also have a good two battery setup, but I just think it's a good investment and makes me feel a little more secure when I go to sea, it will also charge my tablet and phone while I'm at sea.

15. Clinker

Clinker Member

So are you saying the £47.00 is OK? - My spare battery retains enough juice for a charge at the start of the season to start the engine 7 months later.

16. Steveh24

Steveh24 Member

I dare say the £47 would do the job, although it does say the battery needs 75% power to work, mine will work on a pretty flat battery, so like I say you get what you pay for.

Mine has charged my Galaxy Tab 10.1 three times while I've been at sea and still had plenty left to start a battery if needed.

• Like Like x 1
  17. matt.speedtriple

matt.speedtriple Member

• Like Like x 1
  18. Steveh24

Steveh24 Member

This looks like a good deal

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. aquabell

aquabell Member

Matt speedtriple, would you say it would start a 180hp Sabre ford 5,9oocc diesel. I do not doubt you but seems unbelievable.

20. matt.speedtriple

matt.speedtriple Member

If the starter battery isn`t completely flat then I can`t see why not if the jumper pack is fully charged. They`re surprising powerful for they`re size. I didn`t get a chance to try it on the same engine you have as mine was a 24v starting and charging system.

21. aquabell

aquabell Member

Read the reviews and ordered one anyway, will be handy even if it cannot handle the Sabre's. It will murder my 2.2 honda idtec. Thanks

22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor