1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Jump Starter

Discussion in 'Boat Owning, Equipment and Maintenance' started by gowerpower, Jan 8, 2017.

1. HOOKSTER

HOOKSTER Member

Very interesting, do you think these packs would power a winch ?? ( I could at least carry it in its bag over my shoulder while still knee deep in the water )

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. matt.speedtriple

matt.speedtriple Member

These small jumper packs are fine for short bursts of 12v power but as a winch requires a constant current while in operation then it wouldn`t be suitable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. wolfiecornwall

wolfiecornwall Member

Reading the blurb on some of the packs, it sounds like they are designed for short bursts of load followed by a rest period. I imagine having 800 Amps or so running through a cable for three seconds would warm it up a touch. I wonder what they would be like with a cold diesel requiring glow plug heating first?

5. aquabell

aquabell Member

Like starting the car after having lights on?? and not worrying or waiting for the AA. It happens!!

6. Reedythepirate

Reedythepirate Member

So here's a question.
    I keep my boat about an hour and a halfs drive away. I will admit I show up each time battery charger in the car hoping that I don't have to use it! I was at the weekend thinking I want to use her in a week or two, so I'd best go and bring the battery's back (not used the boat since September because of family/work) and charge them ahead of the trip. However, thus far I've been fortunate and the engine has kicked over straight away. I launch, leave the engine running whilst I have a coffee to ensure all good before I leave the harbour.
    I have a 40hp, 4 stroke mercury outboard, with twin battery set up.
    So, If I arrived and the battery's were flat, I used one of these to get it started, I'd sit moored up with the engine ticking over to get some charge into the battery's before venturing out. Question is say from completely flat, how long would you leave it before venturing out?
    I didn't know these existed, to me I'm buying one, surely it should be an essential bit of kit on most boats. It will be charged before I leave with my handheld vhf and put in my kit bag every time.
    Brilliant thread this, thank you to all who have contributed:)

7. Clinker

Clinker Member

At idle, it'd take a long time - you'd be better off running flat out round and round the bay!

Seriously, what I would do if this is truly a worry is to get another battery that you can keep charged at home and take it with you as the 'just in case' then if you find a flat battery (it might be a completely dud battery that won't successfully recharge), just swap over to your good one and enjoy a worry free day - if you have one-two-both switch just make sure you don't have it on 'both' until you're back to having two good batteries.

8. Steveh24

Steveh24 Member

If you purchase a decent jump pack that can start a relatively flat battery which should have charged quite a bit when running out to your mark, but I wouldn't worry if it doesn't start when you return as the jump pack will start it quite easily, but as Clinker says, you could always carry another fully charged battery.

9. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor