Larger Bass Baits (West Wales)

Discussion in 'Bait Discussion' started by John759, Apr 26, 2012.

1. John759

John759 Member

I've recently started back shore fishing after a break of 20 odd years and just beginning to find my feet again however, I'm hitting one common problem nearly every time I go out ! In a nutshell, I've caught about 15 bass over the last 6 weeks or so and only been able to keep two due to their size. My preferred bait has been rag (non-farmed) on a 2/0 hook with a flapper rig.

I’d be interested in people’s views on how to attract the larger bass ?

Mostly fishing in or around Tenby (South Beach, Penally, Swan lake Bay, Manorbier Bay, and Tenby Esplanade) usually around dusk when the tides are right with moderate surf.

I wish David Attenborough would do a documentary on British Sea Bass and give us Anglers some idea of their life, feeding patterns, likes & dislikes etc ha !!!

To remove this advert Register for a FREE account

2. excel

excel Member

Whole side of mackeral.
  3. Althebass

Althebass Member

You'll find many different opinions on this subject mate, my take on it is that Bass will take a bait whatever size it is, for example I've had a 7lb bass on Half a black lug, but on the other end of the scale I've had a 7 inch bass on whole squid and 3 black lug, bass are ravenous feeders when they're in the mood, just have to get through the schoolies mate and hope the solitary big boy finds your bait. Good Luck
  4. ASSASSIN2020

ASSASSIN2020 BASSIN ASSASSIN

Mornin, i specalise in targeting bigger bass with larger baits (one thing b4 i start using larger baits generally require 6oz plus of lead so tackle must be up to the job) lobbing bait and lead which could weigh 1lb or more needs reliable gear,

Anyway i specifically use the biggest razor i can get and double them up (i've caught bass of 2lb on baits about 10oz plus and they have no problem getting it in their gobs as long as your hooks are big enough)

And my favourite bait for the biggest bass i've had is whole 10-12inch mackerel mounted on a 6ft 80lb fluorocarbon trace with 6/0 pennel rigged mustad vikings set up on a running leger, i've had bass of 8oz get cleanly hooked 6/0 pennel rigged hooks with a large single razor, they are greedy EBTB (Eyes Bigger Than Belly) buggers,
  5. springwell

springwell Member

EELB2BIG has answered it fully, and he should know with the number of specimens he has had!!

I don't use rag or crab anymore and never two hook rigs.

I'd rather be patient and stick it out with the big baits and wait for the big one to come along.

Hooks I use 6/0 Kamasan uptide and usually a simple fixed rig or a running leger.

Bait, Whole squid, three or four razor or cuttlefish tipped with clams.

I keep my bait in a cool box, if its not used it goes back in the freezer and it may be refrozen three or four times as I believe this helps.

Be prepared to put the hours in though and expect blanks if you go down the big bait route and follow what EELB2BIG has said.

Bill
  6. ASSASSIN2020

What Springwell (bill) said and i agree also with althebass, i've always found that joey mackerel gets lots of fish but average 3-5lb whereas 10-12inch mackerel get an average of 7lb plus bass, i've had a 2lbder take a 12inch makkie and hooked perfectly,
  7. loonytoonz

loonytoonz Member

Where i fish in kent i use whole mackerel,whole bluey,mackerel head and guts,livebait joey when available,livebait pouting,whole squid,these baits are fished under the rod tip at night.i dont use any light just a headlamp which i just use to bait up.reels are set on ratchet and i wait.prepare for blank sessions.once the mackerel start to show in numbers the larger bass predate on these,so its worth fishing where the mackerel are.Also popular fishing beaches that produce lots of fish,these small pout etc are discarded by anglers,sometimes dead,large bass will scavenge on these beaches eating small fish and discarded bait left by anglers.Low tide investigation is always worth it.A diary can also be a good longterm project,keep a note of time,tide,wind direction,see if a pattern develops.What works in one venue wont necessary work at another although bass are generally creatures of habit.invest the time,reap the rewards!!!
  8. ASSASSIN2020

Defo agree with this they love mackerel big bass in particular, i fished a few years back a live joey 2yds out MAX off my local harbour whilst mulleting and within an hour i had an 8lbder, and one mark i fish freelined mackkie head gets LOADS of bass to 7lbsish, groundbaiting i reckon is the key to getting a better fish on my marks,
  9. John759

John759 Member

Thanks for all the pointers, tips and ideas boys, one thing we are not short of around here is Mackeral, Razor and a whole range of live baits ! Having read all the good info above I think I'm gona try a few weeks of larger hooks and baits like mackeral, Blueys, whole Razor etc and see if it makes any difference. Funny enough tried some Blueys last weekend off Port Talbot (Aberavon) beach but the weather was like Amagedon. Think ile kick off tonight down south beach (Tenby) with some larger hooks and some mackeral or blueys and see what occurs. Will keep you posted. Thanks once again - John

Snap-shot below of tonights trip.

South Beach.jpg
  10. ASSASSIN2020

Try north beach around the old and new lifeboat station with livebaits, goskar rock get a bait around there in a good surf, and north cliff below park hotel, bass hit whole makkies there in a surf at night, and giltar point with crab throws up bass, schoolies like worm, better fish smash razor or fish baits,
  11. John759

John759 Member

Just been chatting with a m8 who I team up with and we decided were gona give Monkstone Point a bash with new rigs as suggested above plus blueys, razor, mackeral and maybe some sandeel etc on 6/0 pellen and see what happens ! Any thoughts with Monkstone (EELB2BIG) ??? All the Best - John.
  12. ASSASSIN2020

Can be a good place but i hear lots of undersized bass being caught and kept there (again) with peeps spinning i've had good bass from there already this year, bottom fishing you need a good surf variety of baits there get bass, lug,razor,crab,mackerel,sandeel i use to spend a weekend up there friday morning till monday evening, had bass to double figures from there,
  13. John759

John759 Member

Cheers m8 you been a massive help and Ide be pretty dull to ask everybodies advice then not listen ! so we'll give it some tonight and ile shout back tommoroz, let you know how we got on. Just off to Pem Dock get myself some decent 6/0 hooks.

John
  14. pondfish

pondfish Member

Hi guy's are there any mackrel showing up on the beach yet,
    I ask because i'm down that way for a week in mid May,
    Any advice would be of help thanks
  15. ASSASSIN2020

My M8 said he had a load on sunday, have heard of the odd few coming off saundersfoot area from the shore, hope i can get on the mend and bag a load ready for the bass,
  16. John759

John759 Member

03:08 just got back from Monkstone Point ! Not the best night ever although Paul my mate had some success. A few points to note !!!!!!!!

1. BBC Weather forecast (Or should I say BBC lets just blagg it!!). Cloudy Dry North Easterly 15mph. Reality was .... Easterly gusting 20+mph shed loads of rain.
    2. If you drink, smoke and carry a little extra weight take an Oxigen Bottle with you to get back up the steps or pre arrange a stair lift!
    3. Take a shotgun with you to protect your bait (See below!).

Not too bad a night apart from "Buster" my m8's dog ate my blueys lol, My mate managed to foul hook two small ish bass but one was a keeper then caught another also a keeper and I for all my efforts with my new 6/0 hooks on a penel rig managed to bring in a flounder (the hooks were bigger than the fish !). needless to say it got thrown back. My m8 gutted one of his bass to reveal about 5 baby crabs in its stomack but they were not peeler, they looked like baby spider crabs and all hard back ????? It seemed to me that maybe Monkstone Point was a better low-tide mark than high and the closer you were to the actual Point the more chance you had of catching ? For me the storey continues as I try to catch a bass over 4 or 5lb. Happy Days.
  17. meanstreak

meanstreak Member

Bass will go for any bait, if you get fed up with Schoolies try a whole Squid or whole fish bait, it will be slow but when you get a fish it will be worth the wait,I never use Peelers as they are a rip off, cheaper baits still catch big Bass, just give them plenty on big hooks
  18. excel

excel Member

19. springwell

springwell Member

Totally agree, I never bother with peelers or worm too.

I prefer the wait :thumbs:

Bill
  20. cfish

cfish Member

Depending on what ground your fishing,be prepared for a conger to take your big macky/squid bait,ive had it happen to me several times,i was gutted on losing one after a 10 minute struggle on light gear,was deffinately 30lb + and bit through the line just as i was about to try and land it,a whole cuttlefish might be worth a try,live pout,scad or even small wrasse are also good baits.