1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Lazy anglers giving us all a bad name

Discussion in 'General Sea Angling Discussion' started by Ashley.Davies, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Ashley.Davies

Ashley.Davies Member

Busy night last night down mumbles a lot of boys fishing I came back this morning to fish the tide coming in again and found this... A bin was 10 yards away its nut guys pick your stuff up

20170102_054527.jpg

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Steve Tr

Steve Tr Global Moderator Deputy Administrator Global Moderator Species Hunt Co-Ordinator
    1. Vintage Fishing Tackle Club

My personal opinion, if you've drunk that much, you shouldn't be near water, let alone lobbing 3-6oz missiles about in a public place.

• Agree Agree x 16
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Thrasher

Thrasher Member

It is probably just me, but i have never understood the fascination of alcohol when fishing, after it yes, during it no but each to their own.
    Leaving all of that crap behind which is being discussed on another thread is just not on.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Ashley.Davies

Ashley.Davies Member

I have seen cans before but a whole empty bottle of whiskey? You can fall into pretty deep water at that point of the wall as well

6. Nick Phillips

Nick Phillips THE PLASTIC AND RUBBER GUY Deputy Administrator Global Moderator Lure Section Moderator.
    1. Topwater Hardbait Club

I also can't see why anyone would want to drink when fishing.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  7. fechellbaits

fechellbaits Member

More to the point was whoever partaking in that lot sober enough to drive home.

just a note
    I've been asked to put together a few ideas for angling related snippets for a local newspaper in the north west area and after thinking about the benefits rsa may bring into an area. I am more tempted to highlight how anglers are one of the main contributors to the amount of litter left along the coast....quite easy to collect photos to back this up and it may just kick start local authorities into sorting out the coast.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    • Disagree Disagree x 5
  8. Leon Roskilly

Leon Roskilly Member

When I'm fishing, my senses are more acute, my reactions sharper and I'm more tuned in to the environment around me.

That's one of the reasons I enjoy fishing.

Even one drink dulls my senses and makes me less aware of what's around me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Ashley.Davies

Ashley.Davies Member

People that go fishing and litter I don't really regard them as anglers because we value the coast

I agree that a lot of rubbish is left by these "anglers" but I also find the people usually cleaning up after them are fellow fishermen that are trying their best to keep our amazing coast clean as possible

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Ashley.Davies

Ashley.Davies Member

I like a drink as much as the next man but when I'm fishing I'm working trying to get the most out of it which is what I find enjoyable about it

Plus dragging cans of larger around just adds to the weight you have to drag up/down the beach etc.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. colina

colina Member

Wouldn't it be better to highlight the positive aspects of angling instead of the mess left by the less enlightened people who go fishing - I would not consider them anglers.

Highlighting the rubbish left behind may result in loss of access or restrictions on all anglers.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  12. fechellbaits

fechellbaits Member

That's my point plenty say they take it home but plenty do not. Close areas off until a system is set up to solve the problem...
    Sorry it is our own fault.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Nick Phillips

Nick Phillips THE PLASTIC AND RUBBER GUY Deputy Administrator Global Moderator Lure Section Moderator.

It's a tiny minority that spoil things for the rest.
    Like with most things.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. fechellbaits

fechellbaits Member

so someone disagrees that the person, persons drinking would be sober enough to drive...mmm...DR10....the norm then

15. fechellbaits

fechellbaits Member

according to the poster it was a group of guys not one person....and like most things its always someone else's fault...tiny minority sorry nick that's bollox to many posts complaining about litter in all sections...it is just too easy to blame a few for what is a nationwide problem .
    As I asked above same mentality as the ones who disagree that drinking that much and driving home is ok.....RSA all need a wake up call .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. ken1989

ken1989 Member

Thats the problem with easy access fishing marks like Mumbles, you get a lot of scum so called fishermen who ruin it for the minority of us anglers who actually care for our environment and the future of our sport, I agree drinking and fishing dangerous marks is a no no, especially a bottle of whisky. Even worse did they drive home after consuming all that alcohol?? That's why I don't fish a lot of these easy access venues, You won't see one of those scumbags walking 3 miles to get to a mark especially after a bottle of whisky....:nutswinger::nutswinger::nutswinger:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. blakdog

blakdog Member

I hate litter with a vengeance (and drink driving even more, with good reason) but I couldn't disagree more with your idea of getting your fellow anglers banned from local spots - not least because your playing with fire quite frankly. All you will do is punish the decent anglers that take their rubbish home as the litter louts don't really care that much (that is after all why they continue to dump their rubbish) and will just move somewhere else and do the same all over again.

Much better to use the opportunity to encourage the local powers that be to police the area a bit better, possibly suggest hidden cameras at local littering hotspots with police visits on selected tides - news travels fast and high fines talk louder than other forms of education.

For the OPs example I've seen the litter in Mumbles first hand as I'm a regular visitor to the area. Again it would be to everybody's benefit to police it better and it wouldn't be that hard to set up cameras along the front at Mumbles. No doubt someone would argue about the cost but if there was a ban that would need to be policed too so at least this way you are only punishing those that are doing something wrong rather than all anglers.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  18. fechellbaits

fechellbaits Member

Disagree by all means I am just stating my own thoughts on the matter and after seeing so many reports on litter at fishing spots and all complaints action is needed...all it will take for easy access marks to be closed is a child,pet etc to get a discarded hook in an unfortunate area of their body and the area will be closed...local councils cannot afford to police areas just because of anglers (some ) they are all struggling to run their areas ....but if anglers took over raised cash and cleaned up now that would be excellent PR....

19. Nick Phillips

Maybe anglers should take a pic of people that leave litter ?
    Then report it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Ashley.Davies

Ashley.Davies Member

Your totally right it does attract the knob heads that basically want a night out from just being in the pub all the time, was a bin literally 15 yards away...

21. blakdog

blakdog Member

The trouble with that is that becomes people taking the law into their own hands ... which doesn't sit well with the courts or the police. A much better way of doing things is to work with the local authorities with a view to evidence gathering so they can prosecute. Littering is not just restricted to angling it is a nationwide problem and a big part of that is down to the lack of policing and the ****-poor punishments that are given out to the individuals that get caught. The message doesn't seem to be hammered into the kids at school any more either.

No doubt that action needs to be taken but it seems mad to think about banning the sensible anglers as they are the ones most likely to challenge the ones that leave the litter. Nick's idea of getting pictures (both of the louts and their number plate) is an easy one to implement given that almost everybody has a phone with a camera on it nowadays ... even better if they get done for drink driving. What I find shocking is that the litter louts are usually people you wouldn't expect to be doing it .... over the years I've caught out quite a few well respected local anglers, they preach about not leaving litter but when they think they can get away with it they behave atrociously.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor