1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Leeda icon ultra power ?

Discussion in 'Shore Angling' started by Samuel chapon, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Samuel chapon

Samuel chapon Member

Hi guys anyone used the leeda icon ultra power before ? What did you think ? ..
    I have a pair of leeda icon match rods which I love.
    I was thinking of buying a leeda power rod but just so happens I won a ultra power in a competition ( iv not usedit yet) so was just wondering what they are like iv heard mixed reports and was unsure whether to go buy another so as to have a pair .. Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. sampeg

sampeg Member

I have one of the original Icon Ultra Power rods. The one with the captive reducer (Reel down the butt to cast, and then twist out the reducer to retrieve)

Very powerful blank which makes an awesome conger / tope rod, (which is what I use mine for) but you can, with care cast big baits a good distance with it. I have used mine to cast 9oz of lead plus bait on Chesil right at the end of some stormy weather, a few of times.

I hope the rings on the later models are an improvement though.

The first time I used mine was on the breakwater on Alderney a few years ago. A young lad let his float gear drift down the side (in the dark), and on retrieve managed to pull a number of other people’s rods over onto the deck, including mine. The ring inserts (all of them!) didn’t so much as pop out as shatter. I would have needed a dustpan and brush to pick up the fragments.

I have had mine re-rung with Minima’s and it’s now tickertyboo.

In short ( And only my opinion) – A great versatile heavy duty rod that you can cast big leads and baits with if necessary, and more importantly, now it’s been re-rung, the best deep water / rough ground rod I have ever owned.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Samuel chapon

Samuel chapon Member

Ok cheers il see how it goes .. Yeah I was warned about the rings being a bit crap on the Leeda range .. I hope I can look after it enough .. Will hopfully get out next week and give it a bash .. Atm I'm using 2x diawa theory rods for the congers .. The rods are fine but it's like casting with a broomstick lol

5. Toonmania

Toonmania Member

I love my Ultra powers and like above I'm happy to change the rings if/when need as the blanks are great, get out there with just the one first and give it a really good whack see what you think, I've used mine for nearly a year and no issues with the rings yet (except when I dropped it and broke one) but that's no fault of the rod just the idiot holding it :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Samuel chapon

Samuel chapon Member

Ok brilliant cheers guys looking forward to getting some sessions in soon ..finger crossed !!

7. simon8132

simon8132 Member 2016 Species Hunt
    30 Species

You could wait till September and win another one

8. Gooseisloose

Gooseisloose Member

Cracking rod i have mine paired with a slosh30 and it is the best rod i have casted so far it casts so well the power in the blank is great and has great bite detection i had it out the other day at a local harbour and it was great for seeing the smalls bites from the millions of coalies (lol) well i mean i was targeting cod but fishing for them is close in because of the rough ground but believe me! you will not be disappointed with how well it casts.

9. ken1989

ken1989 Member

Good rods, use to use mine for conger, very steely stiff butt and mid section, a really powerful rod capable of casting big distances and catching big fish. Pm Bill Bajaj, he use to do vids on youtube with his and done some good reviews.

10. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor