1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing - for a full statement please see the following thread:

VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing

Dismiss Notice

Lightening the load

Discussion in 'Tackle & Equipment Discussions' started by skidmk, Jan 11, 2017.

1. skidmk

skidmk Member

Hi all,

I have been reading about a lot of you out there travelling light and am getting inspired, not just light rod set ups as not always the tides/rips/winds etc will allow but in terms of gear and carry weight. I normally have a trolley with my tripod/shelter/bivi / dropnet/ and seat box containing every weight from 1-7oz in all shapes and sizes with grippers flat and plain bombs etc. Then spare reels, multiple lights/head torches all hook sizes, all swivels, knives chopping board, disgorging equipment, cool bag inside cool box blah blah blah…..like a tart going for two weeks in Malaga:rolleyess:

I think most of my problem comes from not really knowing my spots and being an in lander so when I get the time I don’t go and study the locations I visit as I would rather have my rods in the water but mainly as I don’t get to get out as much as I would like. I do all the reading up and google maps etc but hard to find gullies and know exactly when im dealing with, like when I fish king down I think I was casting the wrong place and loosing so many complete rigs so this was one that taught me to have loads of spare weights.

Since I have been having back problems this is getting too much and when I compare it to when I try the lures and LRF I really like the free feeling of not carrying around the kitchen sink.

So this is where I could use some tips or examples of what you tend to carry for your beach fishing, not as much for lure or lrf.

I have just purchased the Wychwood Flow Pack-Lite Stool which I think looks great for around £30 price tag and this should make life easier. I think the strap wont deal with all my gear so need to scale down.
    lg_wychwood-flow-pack-lite-stool-bag.jpg

So how many weights of various types etc do you carry and what tips do you have for scaling down as I know some of you are pro’s in this department?

Thanks for your time

Tight lines

Mark

• Like Like x 1
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Norm B

Norm B Member

:) That looks really comfortable, I use a rucksack but can't sit on it and If I use a tackle box it's more weight, can't win. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. skidmk

skidmk Member

same problem i had that is why i got this, i also needed a back rest. would prefer it if it had ruck sack straps rather than one shoulder strap tho

5. Captain Bb

Captain Bb Member

I currently use a Daiwa Team Sea seatbox with harness, along with a Sandstorm quiver containing tripod & beach shelter, plus a Greys Ready holdall for two rods with reels attached. Holds all I need and I can walk a fair way with it.

The Daiwa seatbox doesn't have a backrest and I haven't missed not having one but I've just got hold of a Shakespeare Team box that I intend to fit the Breakaway conversion kit just to see if I prefer it. This may end up replacing the Daiwa seatbox or maybe I'll use it as an alternative option.

• Like Like x 1
  6. skidmk

skidmk Member

Thanks mate I did look at getting the box strap and back rest and still probably will at one point but i thought the bag is really small if not much in it so if i do just take the bass rod and just touch ledger then i dont need much terminal tackle so can rome around and still have a seat but not the bulk... also useful when im on holiday with the misses in cornwall i can always have my gear on me and also look like a bit of an endbell when walking around the shops and pubs with her lol.

Really looking for advice on what people do to save weight etc the bare minimum they ever carry but enough to safely land/unhook and release fish.

7. mikeyfelley

mikeyfelley Member
    1. Topwater Hardbait Club

I had a bad back & tennis elbow or repetitive strain injury as it's known for over 18 months, I had it bad and couldn't go fishing at all and my work were good giving me light duties anyway that's when I got in to lrf it was brilliant my arm and back were still in a bit of pain but I could cast with one hand and actually didn't have to throw it far at all. I don't think lrf is for everybody but most people that try it love it. Give it a go it's very inexpensive if you want it to be

• Like Like x 1
  8. skidmk

skidmk Member

Agreed mikey i have got the bug especially as i now live on a canal i will be trying it more for perch and pike. Im not good tho only had one sea scorpion need to spend more time at it..cant wait to get a schoolie or a mackerel on my rockfish ul. Still love my bait fishing tho so like to mix it up. Hope your back and elbow are not giving you too much jip now. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fishylee76

Fishylee76 Member

last night small bucket three rigs three leads discorger scissors tripod n rod with reel on weighs nothing

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. valleyboy

valleyboy Member

Know your marks and have the confidence to take just what you need for the type of fishing you have planned

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. skidmk

skidmk Member

i did try the bucket for a while but sometimes it too cold for the misses, good shout tho;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fishylee76

Fishylee76 Member

my missus has her own gear as she fishes
    she uses a small box still light tho
    if you know area no need for loads of gear

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. skidmk

skidmk Member

thanks Valleyboy, agreed i need to learn my marks more all it comes down to really, just being so inland i always worry i have spend 5h on the road not to have that extra lead etc.

tbh im a richard... wtf dont i just leave the seat box full of gear in the car and then use this light bag with a few rigs and can run back to car if needs must haha :nutswinger:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. valleyboy

valleyboy Member

As I say depends on the marks and species I'm after the weather .I might load everything in the car then decide what to carry when I get there and see the conditions

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. mikeyfelley

mikeyfelley Member

You'll get there m8 the fact you've caught says your doing things right. Good luck with the perch fishing I love it

• Like Like x 1
  16. skidmk

skidmk Member

thanks mate, my plan was to be cheeky at first and dropshot a worm least when i can find the Perch i can then get creative with the lures, cant wait for summer tho just walking the coastal spots in a pair of shorts....seems so far away tho:rolleyess:

• Like Like x 1
  17. mikeyfelley

mikeyfelley Member

Yeah it really is good m8 don't dismiss the rubber worm alternative I.e isome or the small gulp angleworm these are prolific. I'll look forward to your fist report

• Like Like x 1
  18. vmax1

vmax1 Member

Depends on where I'm fishing but my last trip to chesil I took 2rods,gaff,tripod and bivvy in my imax rod hold-all

In my lidded bucket I put my bait, cutting board , 4 x 6oz grippers and 2 8oz grippers

In my seat box I tried to carry around 10-15 rigs of varying sorts. A small pack of spare rig bits - enough to make up or repair a pulley or running ledger. Then spare headlight and batteries . Pliers, bait needles and bait loader tool along with elastic. An IKEA tray which sits in top and I use in the shelter for laying bits out in. Then it's mostly food and drink . You never lose as much gear as you think unless fishing rock marks imo

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Toonmania

Toonmania Member

I do like the look of the seat/bag and would have bought one if it had got backpack straps

20. Captain Bb

Captain Bb Member

21. jackjock

jackjock Member

All of us at one time or another take to much gear, trouble is when a long walk is involved it becomes like a SAS exercise, not much fun. A lot of sea anglers are getting like the carp brigade tackle tarts with all the comforts of home taken with them. This is ok if your fishing not far from your car . Never weighed my gear but its not that light and I only take the minimum that I can get away with. The marks I fish where I am often involves a muddy cliff climb and that's not that good especially when your knocking on in years and weighted down with to much stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor