1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing - for a full statement please see the following thread:

VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing

Dismiss Notice

Lonely Fishing?

Discussion in 'General Sea Angling Discussion' started by Ashley.Davies, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Ashley.Davies

Ashley.Davies Member

I don't usually fish alone but I am currently alone down the mumbles now (3whiting so far)

But if im being honest it gets pretty damn lonely, well at least for me. Do you guys feel the same or do you rather the peace?

1483746752641133407472.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Thrasher

Thrasher Member

I really don't mind either. Fishing alone gives a bit more flexibility normally.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Wrasse hunter

Wrasse hunter Member

Im usually a loner fishing, and sometimes i feel it would be nice to have someone to chat to especially overnight. I used to go out fishing with a mate and i enjoyed the company. But as we drifted apart and stopped fishing things have changed. Now im back fishing i just go myself and dont have anybody to fish with i dont get out as often as i would like. So sometimes it would be good to have a fishing buddy that can put up with the chat and sometimes just enjoy the silence.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. valleyboy

valleyboy Member

If I want fish I'd much rather fish alone even from dodgy rock marks at night. If you are fishing hard people are just a distraction. Having said that sometimes its nice to go out for the craic

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. MartynH

MartynH Member

I mostly fish on my own but don't mind either way. If I'm fishing alone and I'm not getting any bites and it is a clear night I just look up at the sky and at the stars.

• Like Like x 2
  7. doctor fish

doctor fish Member

It's a hard balance to strike for me :) Much as I enjoy the social side of fishing and the craic that meets generate it comes at the cost of fish to rod ratio ...... Up tomorrow morning myself for a low water session and I'll be glad of my own company, I can cover more water and,all being well, catch a sight more than if fishing among a load of others.

Nighttime though, if fishing some marks locally, a bit of company doesn't go amiss not least of all to deter the scratters that hang about Morecambe waiting for you to take your eye off your tackle box for 5 seconds !

I think time and commitments have made it hard to have a buddy for regular trips, though I fish with some lads fairly regularly...ish. I , like many on here, can't go 3 times a week and my trips are often subject to last minute cancellation due to family things so it's not conducive to a tight fishing buddy....ship??? :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ashley.Davies

Ashley.Davies Member

Shame you live so far away mate I would fish with ya :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ashley.Davies

Ashley.Davies Member

Yeah it has its good points mate

10. Steve Tr

Steve Tr Global Moderator Deputy Administrator Global Moderator Species Hunt Co-Ordinator
    1. Vintage Fishing Tackle Club

Normally I'm out on my own, and enjoy the quiet that isn't available at home with the kids playing up, sometimes I take the 5 year old with me to give the wife a little peace with the youngest.

If a member wants some help though at a local mark, I'm always willing to meet up and fish together, and give what pointers I can. I have been on the receiving end as well, and met members while on holiday for advice and locations. I also try and do at least one charity event a year if I can.

When meeting up, I am prominently on the beach, with the heavy rods, where it's possible to chat and just watch tips. Alone I may have the spinning rods out, be moving along the beach. I'll change tactics and methods to suit how I feel and what is happening, another person with me would hinder swapping and changing at whim from lure to fly to bait and back again.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ashley.Davies

Ashley.Davies Member

Yeah I totally agree, when your with your club mates etc the banter gets in the way of the work you should be doing etc

Because I have got two small children (4&1) and work a lot I try and mix the fishing with some sort of social life

12. Shirleycodlin

Shirleycodlin Global Moderator - The Cod Obsessed one. Deputy Administrator Global Moderator

I love fishing on my own. Especially mid winter on a cold wet desolate beach with nothing but the hiss of a paraffin lantern and the gentle tones of the TMS crew crackling away on 198LW on a little transistor radio for company.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ashley.Davies

Ashley.Davies Member

I'm going to start taking a small radio with me in the future actually thanks for the idea

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Nick Phillips

Nick Phillips *THE PLASTIC AND RUBBER GUY* Deputy Administrator Global Moderator Lure Section Moderator
    1. Topwater Hardbait Club

In the 80s I fished mainly with others and through the 90s a bit...
    The 2000s mainly on my own and these days apart from the evening sessions LRF with my lad........ I fish on my own.
    I like standing on a rock listening to the tide and smelling the salt etc.
    Sometimes I'm up to my elbows in water and I like that.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Ashley.Davies

Ashley.Davies Member

Nick I think I'm that annoying guy that comes over and talks to you and ask what you have caught ha

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Nick Phillips

Nick Phillips *THE PLASTIC AND RUBBER GUY* Deputy Administrator Global Moderator Lure Section Moderator

In my freshwater days I used to fish with a bloke who used to stick his licence in the back of his beanie hat so he didn't have to communicate with the bailiffs.
    The bailiffs used to ask us for permits all the time even though they knew we had them as they saw us every week for years sometimes.
    If someone came over to him whilst he was fishing, he used to wind his rods in and sit with his arms crossed not speaking until they went (seriously).

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. Nick Phillips

Of course in the specimen freshwater scene we would also give out miss information so as to protect our fishing.
    "Caught anything mate? "

No

• Like Like x 1
  18. Steve Tr

Steve Tr Global Moderator Deputy Administrator Global Moderator Species Hunt Co-Ordinator
    1. Vintage Fishing Tackle Club

:whistling: Never happen with lure or bass, would it :thumbsup:

Or for cod...

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Ashley.Davies

Ashley.Davies Member

Different with Sea everyone adds pounds to everything they have caught like the bass in my pic (20pound)

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Ashley.Davies

Ashley.Davies Member

It's my fingers they make it look smaller than it actually is...

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. Huss Hustler

Huss Hustler Member

Hiya Ashley,
    I'm more than happy to fish on my own unless its a bit of a dodgy mark as i can just chill out & do my own thing.
    I'm just as happy though to fish with my mates, most of them i've fished with for over 20yrs so we take the p#ss & have a proper good craic, though as soon as/if a decent fish is hooked we all get our fishing heads on.
    I do try to avoid busy marks most of the time especially summertime when the hordes of mackie bashers are out. This is when i'm usually by myself upto my tits in the water after dark chasing Huss, Thornies & Smoothies.
    Rick;)

• Like Like x 1
  22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor