Long Distance Casting Fixed Spool Reels

Discussion in 'Tackle & Equipment Discussions' started by trippyjames, Oct 13, 2009.

1. trippyjames

trippyjames Member

I'm not getting on too well with my multiplier but intend to keep practicing. In the meantime I'm after a F/S reel that is good for distance casting.
    I understand the shallow or tapered spools help to achieve better casts lengths. Does anyone have any recommendations?
    Preferably in the £50-£80 range. I don't mind second-hand as long as it's fully functioning so bearing that in mind what do you think I should look for?
    Much thanks to anyone with recommendations.

To remove this advert Register for a FREE account

2. Big Vinnie

Big Vinnie Member

I've got a Penn SM850 which I've had no problems with and are around £50 new. Been thinking of needing another, has anyone used the Grauvell Zenith Z5000 ?
  3. scaffscazz

scaffscazz Member

i have the small size grauvell zeus, takes more then enough 30lb whiplash, and unlike me, casts like a dream.
  4. Ravelling Tangler

Ravelling Tangler Member

I had the cheaper one of the two versions of Grauvell Z5000 (can't remember whether that's the Zeus or the Zenith). Very good.

If you use superbraid (not allowed, of course, for casting competitions) you can afford to go to a smaller reel....so long as the body. stem, foot and gears are all strong.

I now use a Grauvell Delphos 3500 baitrunner. That baitrunner option is surprisingly helpful (becuase you can set it from completely free-running to fairly stiff) if you put your rod in a tripod sometimes.

Shimano and Daiwa F/S reels are always highly regarded, as are the bigger Fox Stratos ones. But most of them are over £80.
  5. trippyjames

trippyjames Member

I was looking t the Okuma Synex which is currently half price at £40 in the latest Glasgow Angling Centre catalogue.
    Anyoneused Okuma reels? How do they rate?
  6. parrot

parrot Member

nothing wrong with okuma reels m8,,i use their fixed spools,,multipliers and even their fly reels and have never had a problem with them,,,parrot........
  7. pokerfish

pokerfish Member

i can recommend the shimano navis or biomasters. they are great bits of kit and will last ages. superp casting machines with massive spools and perfect line lay. no problems with braid.
    used my navis for 3 years with no problems. you should find them in the carp catalogues for around 70 i think.
  8. Tel

Tel Member

2nd hand ultegra very robust and ive cast them over 260m

had one for 5 years now still going strong :0)
  9. pokerfish

pokerfish Member

260m hmmm i think u mean yrds m8
  10. Poughill Reef?

Poughill Reef? Cliff Dangler

Okuma multipliers and FS's have let me down and just can't take the use/abuse imho.

Use Mitchell 6500 (Braid) from rock to clean and they are ok but die after 12 months for me. Had quite a few. They do tend to fold slightly on large fish and under load. Had other reels fold completely. Looking to upgrade to Shimano Baitrunners after countless recommendations but been dithering over spending the cash. It hurts but I reckon you get what you pay for. Spending too little can be a false economy perhaps.
  11. nicksmith7

nicksmith7 Member

i've got 4 shimano biomasters that i use for carp and sea fishing, can't fault them, mine are the older ones about 6 years old now. reckon they can take pretty much anything i throw at them. nothing fancy so not much to go wrong.......
  12. Tel

Tel Member

No i mean metres :)
  13. Ulsterman

Ulsterman Member

Tel, What was your set-up with the Ultegra? (line and rod)
  14. wriggitt

wriggitt Member

Nice reel going in classifieds, Daiwa Emcast advanced 6000, good price aswell. Mate uses or should i say abuses these, solid robust reels and can handle rough ground, can get new ones for less than £70.
  15. beachcaster

beachcaster Member

ulsterman tels set up was probably .31 line and a zziplex m427 or harrison p3 mate.john
  16. Tel

Tel Member

Harrison P3 with 50mm fixedspool ringing, ultegra reel, 0.28mm sakuma, powerflex leader and 125 lead

at sussex sportscast

Nearly right john LOL
  17. CoatbridgeAndy

CoatbridgeAndy Member

Gotta be a Biomaster XTA-8000....Great coned reel, perfect line lay and tough as nails....Depends on your fishing though, but if you are after a thoroughbred reel that will pay back in service the ticket price I would higlhy recommend. :) I also have a pair of Tournament 4500 Linears which I rate a lot higher, but wouldn't even contemplate a rock session with them - They are perfect for Loch Etive though! :victory:
  18. Garfish1

Garfish1 Member

I'd second the Mitchell reels - use a 7000 with braid and it is excellent. Absolutely abuse this reel - think I've washed it off twice in 2 years!!

Starting to show signs of needing to be replaced now, but not failed me yet.

Not caught anything of any size on it yet (biggest 3.75lb Bass). I know Matt has landed (and lost) some big fish on his.

I also have an Emcast, but too heavy IMO to get the distance.

Hope this helps.
  19. mr lee

mr lee Member

Yup. Currently using one and it is fantastic apart from the free spool lever underneath which gets stuck in the freespool mode if you move the lever underneath. Bloody annoying trying to sort it out after you have just cast out. I now have mine taped over so it can't be knocked into free mode. 3 spools as standard too. Casting is very good as is retrieve. No problems with the bale arm either unlike some Penn models.
  20. Led

Led Member