long distance fixed spool reel

Discussion in 'Casting' started by skillpot, Jul 6, 2007.

1. skillpot

skillpot Member

:)hi. looking in a recent sea mag, the record was broken in the fixed spool reel casting match. the guy casted over 249 meters with a fixed spool reel. does anyone know what reel he was useing. im looking to buy a new fixed spool reel that will get me out very very far. any suggestions. cant use multipliers so i wont be buying one. fixed spool. cheers

To remove this advert Register for a FREE account

2. ask wingbacker

ask wingbacker Member

I'm fairly sure it was a Daiwa GS9000 Millionmax, discontinued about 10years ago, replacement is T6000.
  3. Rich pickins

Rich pickins Member

Hi mate,

If you want distance with a fixed spool. Get a Grauville Zeus 5000 ( £89 )and fill it with 30lb spectra braid, shock leader etc., If you are any sort of a caster, you will easilly do 200 yards+. Alternatively the Penn 850 at about £50 is a cheaper alternative..........but you must use braid.
    Good casting,
    Rich
  4. skillpot

skillpot Member

thanks guy. i didnt realise braid will get you more distance when casting
  5. Ravelling Tangler

Ravelling Tangler Member

It will because it is so much thinner so the line level on the spool drops less quickly and the friction over the spool lip does not increase so soon. Also it is more slippery.

However, have a hunt (in the Casting and Tackle Discussion sections) to find out what disadvantages there are to using braid from the shore.

Personally I think it is well worth putting up with them for most shore fishing situations (but I just love the extra feel braid gives you during a fight. Actually having a better chance of catching fish may matter more to some people, and there will be some situations where you have a better chance with mono)
  6. skillpot

skillpot Member

thanks ravelling tangler. will do
  7. Rich pickins

Rich pickins Member

Hi mate,

Definately use braid.
    BIG tip for you: Ensure that the braid is securely anchored to your reel before you wind it on to the reel. Use several turnes of insulating tape or something similar. This will stop any slip which braid can do. Also most important, do NOT fill the reel to the rim as you do with mono. If you fill to the rim the braid will come off in multiple coils and will catch on a ring and snag. ALWAYS leave just about 1/4 inch between the line and the rim. Cast smoothly, no jerky casts. It will fly!
    Tight lines,
    Rich
  8. Grimmer

Grimmer Member

9. Ajohn

Ajohn Member

The person that broke the record may well have been given a Technium. Buy if you like but I don't think you will go wrong if you buy the grauvelle zeus 5000. I switched recently and it definitely outcasts an aerlex. I suspect that's down to the fact that it doesn't use shimano's 2 speed line lay. I've only used it with 20lb mono so far on the 2nd deepest spool. The shallow spool should be ideal for braid. The deepest spool takes 30 to 40lb easily. All you could want really.

John
  10. skillpot

skillpot Member

thanks for the help guys. im going to try braid for beach casting. been told to try berkley whiplash. what breaking strain do i use. 20lb is only 0.06mm diameter. was thinking maybe 30lb which is 0.10mm. i should be able to cast loads further with this size braid. my 15lb mono is 0.32mm so its 3 times thinner.

any suggestions?
  11. Ravelling Tangler

Ravelling Tangler Member

I suggest you go for the thickest you believe you can still cast a long way (e.g. about 0.25 or 0.28mm) , unless absolute distance is all-important .

Bear in mind that 0.1mm braid will wear (from abrasion) as fast as 0.1mm mono
    i.e. it'll wear as fast as 5lb mono would and soon be down to 12 or 10lb b.s.
  12. Rich pickins

Rich pickins Member

..Did you read the posts I left you? Some good advice there when using braid. I use it all the time. Go for the 30lb and you will be happy with that.
    You can buy it from BassPro ( google for it. ) in Canada for about £10 plus postage for a 300 yd spool. It is quick delivery and great quality. They have a sale on at the moment. There is no vat on imports orders under £30, so you could buy 2 spools and still be free of vat.
    All the best,
    Rich
  13. Ajohn

Ajohn Member

The vat and import duty limit is £18, about $36 including shipping costs at the moment. If over sometimes they don't bother some times they do.

John
  14. skillpot

skillpot Member

thanks rich. i read your reply mate. sounds about right, i was thinking around the 30lb braid. read previous posts on here about braid.

do you use shockleader. some say yes some say go with thicker braid all the way through. but i see it has no stretch so so shock leader must be essential.
  15. gareth1234

gareth1234 Member

16. Rich pickins

Rich pickins Member

Absolutely essential to use MONO shock leader ( about 60lb is right ) if you are distance casting.
    Once you have used braid you will never go back!
    Tight lines,
    Rich
  17. Csaba

Csaba Member

What colour of braid do you prefer, and why?