1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Lure or fly

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fly Fishing' started by louis cyper, Feb 2, 2014.

1. louis cyper

louis cyper

So what method is more skilful or is there no difference .

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. SeaCoarseGame

SeaCoarseGame Member

I fish both ways and being honest both ways can be classed as skillful, but only when you have something to compare to, like-for-like. I don't know which one gives me more fish per hour fishing and I'm not about to look back through my logs to find out, but I do know which one is more rewarding - and that's fly fishing. Just being able to make a good cast when fly fishing is, I find, a reward in itself and playing a fish out on a fly rod is a hoot. Last year I even went Mackerel fishing with a 4 weight fly rod just to see what it was like - let me tell you if those things grew to 10lb (and this might be heresy on the lure section of WSF) I would even trade a few days Bass fishing in for them!

SCG :thumbs:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. cfish

cfish Member

Done it myself back in the summer with a very cheap freshwater flyrod,i was out on the boat after a bass but there were mackeral all over the place,had the flyrod with me and had a mackeral every cast good fun!!!

5. louis cyper

louis cyper

I tend to agree both take skill to be competent at ,but as a beginner a lure has to be easier to catch a fish on .If you gave a fly set up and a lure set up to someone that had never fished before the chances are they could at least cast the lure rod I'm not so sure they would be able to cast the fly rod . The lure by its design gives it life but its the person using the fly that gives that life .
    For these reasons the fly has to be more skilful doesn't it?

• Like Like x 1
  6. KOKOMO

KOKOMO Member

As a dyed in the wool obsessive saltwater flyfisherman I'd have to say, err, flyfishing.

Naa, I would imagine lure fishing takes practice, practice and practice again and years to perfect.

But after years of flyfishing, learning to firstly cast, then double haul, then casting into wind, casting in restrictive environs, casting to spooky fish, different leader set ups, blah, blah, blah I do err toward the fly, but in no way, shape or form do I class myself as any kind of expert.

Still learning and that is part of the joy, and I imagine the same can be said for lure fisherman as well, what ever tickles your fancy, they both have different components involved that makes each method unique.

7. LOOSE GOOSE

LOOSE GOOSE **72**

Fly is 100% more skilful, a lot of fly anglers make their own flys where 99.9% of plug anglers buy their chosen piece of hardware, however it would seem the fly guys on average catch smaller fish... Fly is quite a pure method of angling and for some learning salt water fly could totally blank the entire season where maybe sometimes the lesser not as pure method would have landed a few decent size bass, say 4-8lb range.. End of the day its a hobby and if people love it it's all good to me.. :victory:

• Like Like x 1
  8. John M

John M Guest

Anyone could fluke a fish on either method but to be consistent with a fly takes better watercraft than a lure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SALTWATERFLY

SALTWATERFLY Guest

When I started saltie fly fishing, I hardly ever met anyone as crazy as me. Now I meet loads of anglers who go down the same route. Some good, some on a learning curve. A few of the lure guys are really good at their craft, most however seem to be stuck at a point of development insofar as they believe that the next goto lure will give success. Widely a lure angler seems to rely on casting range and equipment and as John says, appear not to particularly enage watercraft.

I think that lure anglers, as a wide generalisation, would do even better if this overlooked aspect were to be more fully exploited.

Fly angling is definitely a more difficult technique to master but because we suffer limitations on range, we have to exploit watercraft. Furthermore, because the method is deadly at replicating some prey, if a pod of fish is within both our range, we will do better than a lure angler fishing side by side.

I agree with Loose Goose that we tend to get the smaller fish, as an average, however big fish are not impossible. My best is just under 10lb and a friend has had them up to just under 15lb. Stateside a friend landed a 22lb fish !. My best tide produced 5/6/6/7, = 4 fish over 5lb in an hour. It can be easy to fish a tide where 1-3lb fish are plentiful and it is difficult to pull yourself away from such sport to chase the lunker.

I think if more swffers presented bigger flies, close in and at night especially, then the average would rise exponentially.

One thing I would claim superiority over, fluff chucking is definitely the best fun.

K

• Like Like x 3
  10. galoshes

galoshes Member

I do both and love them both. I try to fish what makes sense at the time; carrying both setups increases my options but I do wonder if it stunts my SWFFing skills growth. Totally agree on the comments on watercraft above, this is where the real skill resides as opposed to fly or lure being harder. I know which setup gives me the most satisfaction yet just a quick scan of the memory banks from last year shows me that range brought me lots of fish. It's all part of the colourful picture of skills and choices that makes up the sport.

Do you SWFF Louis?

11. louis cyper

louis cyper

I fished every way possible but for the last 7 or so years I've only really used the fly, not that I'm very skilled using it I might add .

• Like Like x 3
  12. SALTWATERFLY

SALTWATERFLY Guest

Don't believe him Folks

Lou's one of the most successful fluff chuckers I've had the pleasure of fishing with.

SWF

• Like Like x 2
  13. louis cyper

louis cyper

Very kind of you SWF it's more luck though

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mullet Mick

Mullet Mick Member

Fly fishing is an art, it takes many years to master(if ever) anyone who has fished before can cast a spinner or lure after 10 mins instruction, but not a fly, in my humble view,

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mark333

mark333 *BASS LURE GURU*

fly is way harder ..Far more skill set ..

You can lure fish in nearly any conditions , only top fly anglers can fly fish in real harsh conditions ..

Think the thing is , when people get so good on the fly , THEY think its easy , because its like 2nd nature to them ..

The one thing i could not agree on is when a group of bass is within distance , you catch more on the fly ..

I have fished with a few top fly anglers , with lure , softs and surface , the fly was not even half as effective imho ...

Different if there just feeding on say maggot out a pile of weed , but on normal bait , not a hope would a fly beat a lure in Dorset ...

I have tried fly , still useless at it , but this year not taking lure rod on a few trips ...

Have tried with fly , maybe 6 times , but only 7 hrs total , as always just pick up the lure rod after an hr of blanking ...

Must try harder ...

• Like Like x 1
  16. gusmcg

gusmcg Guest

Used to fish roughly equal times on bait, lure and fly. Last year went bait fishing once, lure fishing didn't bother with just picked up fly rod and out the door. Find it more relaxing and enjoyable myself.

17. SALTWATERFLY

SALTWATERFLY Guest

Perhaps your top guys, weren't. :laugh:

K

18. mark333

mark333 *BASS LURE GURU*

LOL:eek:hmy::crazy::laugh:

There the best we got :victory:

But if there taking the same bait , bass can be hard to get off the same size / profile even speed comes into it big time ..

Saw one chap bagging up using a really tiny white red gill as a fly ( take it thats still a fly not a lure :unsure:)

Only fish to couple pound , but nearly a fish a chuck ,,, evening , going into night , under lights ....

Another one cleaned up in another area on maggot fly ...

I love to sit back and watch ,,,, its such a gracefull art form ....

• Like Like x 1
  19. KOKOMO

KOKOMO Member

Hi Mark.

I agree its a graceful art form, BUT.

Ive got videos of me starting out double hauling, (practicing in a field) it was far from graceful, :laugh:

In fact I have the scars to prove it and so do several poor buggers that were behind me when trying to form a perfect loop whilst trying to coordinate my left and right arm to work in tandem.:unsure:

However at one point I did 'catch' a lovely little terrier that was being walked (innocently) by his owners.:laugh::unsure:

20. John M

John M Guest

• Like Like x 1
  21. SeaCoarseGame

SeaCoarseGame Member

Ah, as Lee Trevino once said '....the more I practice, the luckier I get!'

And so it is.

SCG :thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor