1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Magging slosh30

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Maintenance' started by Gooseisloose, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Gooseisloose

Gooseisloose Member

Hi guys, I have slosh 30 which i got as a present. I have had it out fishing a few times and probably the best multiplier i have ever used. I have had a birdie more or less each of the 5 times i have had it out. the reel spool cast like a dream but is fast so i would like to mag the reel for controlling the cast a bit more.

Where can i buy a mag kit for the reel and does anyone know where i can find any tutorials or videos for magging the slosh30

thanks

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. barnacle

barnacle Member

Straight out of the box I am pretty sure they don't have the brake blocks fitted. Have a quick look, that maybe the problem. These reels cast really well with the red blocks in. If 2 of those is too much go down to one. I wouldn't bother magging it.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. The Third Earl

The Third Earl Member

As far as I know Blackdog ,who posts regularly on here sells the conversion kits, here is a link to a post where a guy did the conversion himself on a slosh 20, same reel, just a bit narrower.

http://www.shoreangler.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?5995-SLOSH-Magnetic-convertion

You will have to google Blackdog tackle, or maybe send him a PM ?

As Barnacle says, Sloshes are very user friendly , I use mine with a single red block and have no trouble, maybe two would sort it and when you get more used to it take one out,or use one block and some heavy gear oil to slow the bearings down.

Dave

5. Gooseisloose

Gooseisloose Member

With the box there are 2 red blocks and 2 clear ones which are hollow what are they for do they have to be put on or not or just the domed top red one ?

6. barnacle

barnacle Member

They are brake blocks. You'll need to take the side plate off (ratchet side). Once the side plate is off you will see a pin going through the spool spindle. Slide a red block onto each pin. Put the side plate back on. Adjust the spool tension knob until the spool has a tiny amount of lateral side play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. ken1989

ken1989 Member

You don't need a mag as barnacle already mentioned, fit the red blocks then you'll handle it. ;)

8. Gooseisloose

Gooseisloose Member

yes i have it worked out im going to see how i get on with this then ill make my mind up for magging or not

9. Norm B

Norm B Member

:) I use 1 red block and it's fine. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. MoJocvh

MoJocvh Member

gear oil in bearings slow them nicely

11. Norm B

Norm B Member

;) Yes it does but changing a brake block on the beach is a lot easier than flushing the oil and replacing it with thicker or thinner oil which is why mags are so popular, instant change. :)

12. MoJocvh

MoJocvh Member

Indeed but you lose the ratchet to fit the mag on the slosh and just who flushes the oil on the beach?

Your just being a contrarian Norm!

13. Norm B

Norm B Member

:) My SLOSH isn't magged, it doesn't need it and there are plenty of magged reels if you want them. :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. blakdog

blakdog Member

Not necessarily ... they can be fitted without losing the ratchet but its beyond many to do at home. You can also fit a static mag that retains the ratchet ... very popular with the guys that use them for uptiding.

• Like Like x 1
  15. The Third Earl

The Third Earl Member

I have thought about fitting a static mag to my slosh 20, for uptiding, on account of not liking the idea of fiddling with a knobby mag setting. I know HOW to do it, but cant really decide how strong a magnet should be to reduce the chance of an overrun.
    I dont really have a problem with the plain brake blocks tbh, just fiddling around really.

Dave

16. MoJocvh

MoJocvh Member

Same hereX2 lol.

Can't help but wonder if the magging craze has gone a bit too far tbh, in "t old days" it was a combination of correct line lay and depth, oil selection and casting prowess [ie smooothness] never had problems with mine casting wise [although for heavy ground "distance" casting it was and still is the 7500ctc3 blue's] there used to be a tuning guides available for all these reels [rocket reels] but it seems to have gone all "plug and play" now....

In fact here ya go...

http://www.pierandsurf.com/fishing-forum/showthread.php?108977-REEL-TUNING-by-Neill-Mackellow

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor