Mariner 60hp Bigfoot (2 stroke)

Discussion in 'Boat Owning, Equipment and Maintenance' started by startmeup, Nov 7, 2009.

1. startmeup

startmeup Member

Was Making my way back to the harbour today cruising at 18kts when the engine just died, ther was no splutering before hand it just totaly shutoff? I instantly turned the key to restart and all seemed to be fine after that?

Any ideas chaps as to what this could be?

Cheers

To remove this advert Register for a FREE account

2. ETEC

ETEC Member

The TCU sensor contacted the apd overide and created a shift in the pdq which inturn caused the dst to fail

SIMPLES

ETEC

3. startmeup

startmeup Member

Cheers for your reply etec, any chance you could go into s bit of detail as to why this happens and is there anything I can do to stop this happening again?

Cheers

4. ETEC

ETEC Member

HE HE HE :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Havent realy got a clue to the answer i gave but it looked good :laugh:

the only time i have seen this happen is when something has been picked up on the water intake and the engine starts to not get water so it shuts down
    when the boat grinds to a halt the obstruction then floats away and then all is fine

my mates did it when he picked up a plastic bag but his didnt clear its self but when he went to the back of the boat and tilted his engine up just to have a look he saw the bag got it off and it was fine

yours sounds like something like this

ETEC

5. Maywood

Maywood Guest

Sorry mate you are compleatly wrong,i am 100% sure it is the gigling pin,you know the one connected to the laughing shaft,when it gets upset this problem occurs,please pay attention in class.

6. startmeup

startmeup Member

Can't see the humor in my thread?

I supose an outboard cutting out is a funny thing.

Cheers guys!

7. David N

David N Guest

Dirty fuel, water in the fuel, blocked jets. Could be one of these or an electrical fault. Corroded wires or connections? Check the main connecting plug where your control box cable connects to the motor there may be corrosian in the pins causing an intermittent breakdown. Could be lots of things. All of them fairly simple - but time consuming to track down.

Dave.

8. Nos4r2

Nos4r2 Member

What sort of kill cord do you have? Is it the switch type or has someone changed it?

9. seaangler53

seaangler53 Member

startmeup Can't see the humor in my thread?

I supose an outboard cutting out is a funny thing.

Cheers guys!

I know we all have to have a laugh at some point in are lives..(and i to have a terrible sense of humor)But me being me spent a few hours last night looking at finding what the cause could be from what was said in ETEC post on the internet..(to NO avail)And got to a point about making a silly remark my self..As i could not find any thing as to what the cause could have been from what was said in his post...As i would put it down to (what we say a glitch happening an electrical fault some ware in the system to cause it to shut down temporarily and then restart again(locally enough for you)

And as Startmeup says an out board cutting out at sea is not a funny thing when at sea and lives are in volve...

I am that person that would help any one out in need be it on land or at sea..And have done so in the past....

I know that Yamaha engines will close down of there revs when the engine runs hot or oil is low..

And the the Yamaha i had on my boat be for done the same and shut down altogether and then restarted up at a quarter revs) until i got back to port..So i can only assume that it was some thing almost identical happening to your engin at the time(or may be)...Chris

10. BrianR

BrianR Member

As it stopped suddenly it sounds electrical to me (a loose connection), dirty fuel or jets wouldn't have cured itself.
    If it was a blocked water intake I would expect an over temp alarm.

11. Clinker

Clinker Member

When you say just died without spluttering, did it slow down, as if you'd pulled the throttle back, and die, or just cut out immediately as if you'd pulled the kill cord? - I had the former once with my Tohatsu and it was traced to a small piece of plastic in the fuel connector on the engine.

12. startmeup

startmeup Member

It just shut down like what would happen if you turned it of by the key?

It deffinatly wasn't anything round the intake so it's pointing towards electrical by the sound of things, where would you Start looking?

13. Nos4r2

Nos4r2 Member

I quote my last question.

14. ETEC

ETEC Member

Thats Exactly what happened to my mates mariner when he had a water flow blockage there is a flw sensor that will if started with no water flowing just shut it down

as for the remarks about it been funny well where did it say people were hurt or anyone was in danger no it didnt and if it had then the funnies wouldnt be there

c'mon guys lighten up its probably a glitch on the engine

but if we want to be sure i know if my engine did this the first place it would be going is to a dealer to have it checked out on the diagnostic money well spent in my eyes

ETEC