1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Marks near, Chichester ,Nab, Selsey etc for this summer. Help please.

Discussion in 'Boat Angling / Angling Afloat' started by mpk1, Jan 2, 2017.

1. mpk1

mpk1 Member

Hi all,

I've been fishing this side of the solent all year. Bramble, browndown, gilkicker etc for a while and I'm after some marks towards nab, and chichester, selsey way. I've noted the "hounds" on my fish finder but wondered if anyone had any areas worth a go ? I've not fished this area before so after some local knowledge of any dodgy areas to avoid or anywhere that's good. And a public slip nearby would be amazing.

Here's a few pictures of my boat. She's 16ft long makes 22 knotts cruises at 16-17. Can get a little wet some times but nice having some room. Needs a paint again this spring !

Thanks in advance IMG_0968.JPG IMG_0969.JPG IMG_0970.JPG

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Salar

Salar Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steveh24

Steveh24 Member

Depends on how much further East you want to go, but you can try Bullocks Patch, Bracklesham Bay, The Hounds and the Boulder Bank for Bream in the Spring/Summer, the deeper water West of the Boulder and off Bracklesham bay for Smoothhounds, for Tope you can try the Pullar Hole and the Utopia.

5. LandlockedAndy

LandlockedAndy Member

I launch my boat from Northney marina on hayling island. It's expensive at £25 a pop but the slip is decent and is all tide (except spring lows). It's a fair way to the sea but would give you access to all the eastern solent marks.

There may be some free slipways on beaches which are accessible around HW but personally I like the convenience and shelter of a marina

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. oldtimer

oldtimer Member

You csn launch at Selsey East beach car park for free,all you have to do is pay the car park fee

7. mpk1

mpk1 Member

That's great gents, thanks very much. It's a good 12 mile motor from my current spot that I launch from so probably easier to look at either northeny or the beach launches. I'll have a good look through that boat launch site too. Looking at my navionics most of those marks are about or no more than 4 miles off shore so easily doable within good time at 16 odd knotts.

8. bigben

bigben Member

9. Salar

Salar Member

You need to pay harbour dues to use either Langstone or Chichester harbours. They may be included in the launch fees - you need to check locally.

10. mpk1

mpk1 Member

Will do thanks for that, I've checked an it's only £80 a year at langstone so may do that. Kind of in the middle between me and the selsey marks. Straight into open ocean from the slip near the harbour entrance. And about a 5 mile motor max which isn't too bad. Plus gives quick access to the plaice marks you mentioned for the spring too.

11. Salar

Salar Member

Strong cross-tides in the entrance, when I launched there I found side bars on the trailer invaluable to help alignment when recovering.

12. mpk1

mpk1 Member

There is always two of us when launching but those side bars sound like a sensible idea.

Assuming they are easy enough to get hold of

13. Steveh24

Steveh24 Member

Side bars are usually roller arms or an aluminium pole that are bolted to the trailer chassis at a predefined location to match the width of your boat, they are very easy to get hold of and are essential when getting the boat back on to the trailer in a strong crosswind

14. Salar

Salar Member

You can buy them ready made but are expensive. All you need are a couple of sturdy round or square tubes attached to the axle with U bolts. My boat overhung the wheels so I had to get one made up that followed the curve of the boat. Worth it though.

15. mpk1

mpk1 Member

I'll certainly have a look into that. Will probably make them or get them made.

16. Steveh24

Steveh24 Member

On the trailer used for my old Shetland 535 I simply used 2 x 4ft x 2" diameter aluminium tubes that were bent once to come up the side of the boat, then secured to the trailer with a couple of U-Bolts, the trick is to fit them when the boat is on the trailer so you know exactly where they need to be allowing the boat to be centred on the trailer and they were invaluable in getting the boat back on the trailer single handed in any conditions.

17. mpk1

mpk1 Member

I've always launched with two for that exact reason as it's a pain getting back on the trailer on my own.

So I'm assuming the pole just has a bend at the bottom this brings it out to the side of the boat from the trailer with the whole pole being vertical. It's then clamped straight on using u bolts.

Would you just fit these midships or a bit further back. Seems like a great idea for not a lot of money.

18. Salar

Salar Member

As far back as you can because that is where you need the guide. You could create a giant U out of tube section (probably welded rather than bent) the width of the boat and bolt the horizontal of the U to the trailer, that might be easier and more rigid than single side posts.

19. Steveh24

Steveh24 Member

As Nev's says as far back as possible that way you are certain the boat is centred on the trailer, as I mentioned earlier the trick is to fit the guide posts while the boat is on the trailer.

Nev's idea of a large U shape sounds like a good idea

20. mpk1

mpk1 Member

Cheers gents, excellent advice thanks

21. SeaMouse

SeaMouse Member

If you are launching into Langstone, there can be, as Nev said, a strong cross-tide about mid-ebb. The run out of Langstone is pretty fierce, so a few hundred yards out from the harbour mouth on the ebb it can get pretty lumpy, especially with any south in the wind. Don't try and plough through it in that case, just head off west a bit and come in along Southsea shore.
    There are two slips - on the eastney side the slip is always covered in shingle from the high water mark down and at times it gets pretty chewed up. 4WD only unless you are prepared to rope her out or don't particularly want your car! Hayling side by the Harbourmaster, the slip is clear almost all of the time due to that cross-tide. It is a bit steeper and drops off sharply at the end but that's only a problem a couple of hours either side of low water on spring tides. Parking is a tenner though, although mid-week the café will often let you park with them for a fiver.
    Good luck!

22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor