1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

mono v braid..my experiences so far..

Discussion in 'Shore Angling' started by vdubsmudge, Dec 31, 2016.

1. vdubsmudge

vdubsmudge Member

There's been load of threads regarding mono v braid,what breaking strain etc etc so I'm not going to go into all that.

my last couple of outings I've been playing about with braid on a fixed spool reel...just one brand which so far I'm happy with.

2 rods ( trabucco poetica in my case)..2 reels (shimano ultegra xtd1400s) 2 hook flapper 5oz lead.

reel number 1....ultima f1 black 18lbs with 60lb tapered powerflex leader.

reel number 2....diawa j braid 29lb straight through. .

if I was a power caster then I wouldn't be using 29lb straight through! as I'm new to braid and tieing it I wanted to get the feel of it before getting in a tizz overy which or what knot

my results so far

bearing in mind that I've been using mono for years and really like the f1 with powerflex leader. .the braid is smashing it!! I'm not the best of casters!! the braid feels alot smoother and lays really well on the reel..the bite detection is out of this world! even a pout looks like a shark! so far I've bought in pout whiting dogs..the best being an undulate ray of around 4 pound. ...

I'm not ready to ditch the mono just yet as I feel there will be situations where the mono will be best to use.

no science involved some will like mono over braid...we are all different..just my personal experience. .

get out there and give it a go!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Pelamid

Pelamid Member

I have been using braid for both shore fishing and boat this last 20+ years. Although I always carry spare reel spools with mono (just in case!) I have never changed back to mono yet (Oh! except for one circumstance!)

Fixed spools do suit braid better, but Penn 525 GS and mag slidey have also worked easily. As long as I stuck to .35 braid and above they cast more easily than most mono lines. Just need to take care with braid on a multiplier when snagged as it will "dig-in" on the spool and mess up the next cast. You will learn how to avoid that!

When you are snagged with braid it is so much easier to break out. A few paces back with the spool locked up and out it all comes - you will straighten hooks and break traces before the braid in nearly all cases!

When you are snagged on mono you can drag back 20%+ of your casting distance before breaking out anything - and then it's usually your leader knot, leaving yards of leader and trace with hooks on the sea bed!

As long as your rod has a forgiving tip braid should not cause problems when playing a decent fish.

To date I have caught shark to almost 260 lb, skate to over 200 lb, pike to 26 lb and plenty of cod and pollack on braid. Only time I have preferred mono is when boat fishing shallow (<20') for pollack. The stretch in mono when a pollack power dives avoids pulled hooks! Even a soft spinning rod is not enough on it's own to cushion the hook hold on a short line!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bykerfisher

Bykerfisher Member

I've only been using braid for 3month and would never go back to mono. there's so many times when I would of lost my gear fishing in kelp or off the rocks, but now might lose an odd snood or hook. I also think you can get your self off the bottom a lot quicker and actually feel the fish more.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. jackjock

jackjock Member

Good post smudge. Once you get braid sussed your on a winner.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. are soles fish?

are soles fish? Member

I have to agree, lots to learn still, but i will not be going back to mono. Or multipliers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Fish bone

Fish bone Member

Hi I use braid on multi for its good for diameter I use 0.20 at 17.5 breaking on rough ground and is very good ' the bite detection' and a smooth strike or it can flatten and pull out of your catch " also is a bit unsociable when fishing next to mates when busy as it cuts through mono :gtfo:' tight lines guys'

• Like Like x 1
  8. JonD

JonD Member

I rarely use mono on anything including game fish.

• Like Like x 2
  9. IMAndrew

IMAndrew Member

Thank you for you useful review, and the reassurance of braid and the Ultima Ultegra 14000's.
    Both of which I will be using when I come around to it. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. vdubsmudge

vdubsmudge Member

one thing I for got to mention is how well it shows up at night with a head torch. .I'm using the multi coloured j braid..mate has the green.can follow the green right down to the water..I've not tried it in bad weather yet but hoping it will help with tip bounce being a conti rod user

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. vdubsmudge

vdubsmudge Member

No worries pal... put your spool reducers on bud..no point in loading on 375 yards of expensive braid if your only using 200 yards of it... the 1400s are sweet as a nut..was reading how the ci4 was better and thinking of coping mine in for a pair but so far no problems at all. .in fact I've had more problems with mono as I didn't allow for stretch in the mono so my leader kept running off the bottom and getting jammed.

• Like Like x 1
  12. chukka

chukka Member

Braid is not the be all and end all.

There are times when it can be a utter pain, especially in a strong crosswind where it can pull out a grip lead, you may also get the occasional crack off and wind knot (even on a well filled reel and with a braid leader).
    You need to have an open mind and adapt to conditions, when fishing for small fish or when fish are ultra fussy the stretch in mono can be an advantage and doesn't put the fish off, the non stretch nature of braid can result in lots of bites and dropped baits, hence why a lot of match guys don't use braid.
    Fishing in a crowded area amongst novices with your expensive braid can also be a problem to say the least, tangles with braid can be almost impossible to untangle.

Saying that I use braid for most of my heavier fishing but I have realised the benefits of using both for different types of fishing. Braid excels in a tailwind, when fishing at ultra long range or in heavy ground. Tackle loss is minimised and fish can be retrieved that otherwise would be hung up and lost.
    Like every form of fishing you need to learn the skills in how to use the tackle and be adaptable and not blinkered, a spare spool or reel loaded with mono is always a good idea.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Chippy Jim

Chippy Jim Member

Stick with your reels till you get your casting right. They wouldn't add yards to a bad cast. Like to see your using all my advice mate. See you do listen.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. poledark

poledark Member

I've been using braid in all BS from 6lb up to 100lb for years and years. Just one tip, when tying on a swivel or eyed hook, pass the braid through twice before making the knot. All my testing over many years has proved it makes the knot a LOT stronger,

Den

• Useful Useful x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  15. vdubsmudge

vdubsmudge Member

reels arnt going anywhere bud.may get another pair for the winter bashers they are performing very well for me..pointless forking out when what I have works..as for your advice...I'm always listening and watching you bud..you are alot more switched on than me when fishing so like to sit back and learn..I usually switch off when you start talking b*ollox :-D...

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. Bykerfisher

Bykerfisher Member

I was fishing yesterday in 25mph winds with 70lb straight through and didn't have problem. Caught canny few cod biggest being 2.8lb on penn spinfisher, wind didn't bother aslong as put bail arm down asoon as lead hits the water.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Chippy Jim

Chippy Jim Member

Haha cheers smudge. Only joking mate. But it's good to see you listen then try it for yourself and then give your Feed back. You ask me loads and sometimes I think you try to do to much in one go. Slow it down . You have a great set up with the poetica. And shimanos. And j braid . I used it till I got used to it and felt I had mastered set up then slowly changed bits .you saw the distance I was casting . It's down to getting used to set up. I would say stick with yours till September next year then get heavier set up. You can always ask me advice on the beach. Ditch those rigs of yours and use similar to what I gave you the other day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. vdubsmudge

vdubsmudge Member

I'm a soft southerner..25mph wind..that's pub time for me :-D

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. Chippy Jim

Chippy Jim Member

Byker what weights u using ?

20. vdubsmudge

vdubsmudge Member

I didn't go much on the pulley rigs bud..I made up a few winter cod paternoster rigs but left them at home with the sausages and bacon :-(..

21. Chippy Jim

Chippy Jim Member

No the pompey rig. And the up and over rig

22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor