1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing - for a full statement please see the following thread:

VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing

Dismiss Notice

Multi and Braid

Discussion in 'Casting' started by chrishconnolly, Dec 30, 2016.

1. chrishconnolly

chrishconnolly Member

Used braid alot on fixed spools but is there any advantage of putting say 65lb braid onto my 7000 multi which has a level wind.
    I know I can do away with my shockleader but some say you need some kind of leader on for abrasion resistance.
    Can I cast as far with braid as I do with mono.

Over to you guys what are the advantages and should I do it yes or no.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Stupidluke

Stupidluke Member

Not unless you cast really badly with mono. If you must, make sure the braid is wound on really tight otherwise it will be a nightmare.That way it is good for a lob or an 80 yard overhead chuck. Only speaking from my own experiences attempting to botanist with braid.Have a look at Sandman's Tackle time, he uses braid on multipliers and seems to get on ok with it.

4. are soles fish?

are soles fish? Member

I am going to most likely be speaking from where the sun does not shine on, BUT i am sure that ABU round bait casters i.e., blackmax,silvermax/promax, all had something called TRIPLE CROSS LINE LAY level wind, I always assumed it was so that Braid could be used.

5. coach

coach Member

The problem with braid on a beach casting multiplier is that if you get an overrun or worse a bird's nest the chances are you will end up having to cut it out, and that is expensive!- its virtually impossible to unpick it. So in order to prevent this you have to seriously overbreak the reel....Way more so than you would with mono line. Which means that you will cast (much) farther with mono.
    Braid is brilliant on a fixed spool and a nightmare waiting to happen on a beach multiplier.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. vmax1

vmax1 Member

I use it successfully on multis for year, but only for rough ground close in work. 60-80 yards and as above the reels are made very safe to avoid any birdies. I have just put some .32mm on my 525 and it's ok for a bit more range but defiantly casts short of the mono reel. As usual it's a trade off of the benefits vs pitfall. I like the strength and sensitivity of braid, but my all out distance rod is still mono, not because the braid can't cast as far - but I don't have the confidence to back the mags off or even fully hit the cast in fear of a blow up

• Like Like x 1
  7. justblue

justblue Member

I'm using 0.16 braid in my Penn 525's and I don't have any issues with birdnests and most of the times I'm fishing with headwinds.
    I use yellow rocket oil and 3 magnets.

I mainly use braid for sensitivity but now just curious isn't get heavier after wet? Do you think you would cast further with 0.16 braid over 0.31 using a multiplier eg 525?

8. lighty

lighty Member

You'll be fine with braid on your 7000, I use a 7000e with 100lb braid to 130lb hollow braid leader and it casts well. By threading the braid through the leader with a couple of overhand knots you end up with a very small leader knot.
    I don't use mine for distance work, maybe only up to 70 yds, and I don't get problems
    Give it a try and learn as you go along so you end up with stuff that suits you and that your happy with.
    PS. not all braid is equal, you may need to try different brands to find one that you can get on with.

lighty

9. coach

coach Member

You are casting "up to 70 yds" with 100lb b.s. line!!. Why on earth are you messing about with a leader ???

10. coach

coach Member

What distance are you looking to Cast ???

11. lighty

lighty Member

Its the way I fish, I always use a leader. This particular reel is used on some real rubbish ground, hence I use a long heavy leader to keep my mainline clear and help protect it. Also use at least 8oz leads or more if the tide is running, and it does run.
    It is a method I use at a partcular spot, guys with lesser gear give up and go home.

lighty

• Like Like x 1
  12. jackjock

jackjock Member

Just my opinion, but whats the point in using braid on a multi, wheres the advantage , might as well just put it on a good fixed spool reel . Why make things difficult , not saying you cant cast it on a multi if you know what your doing but fishing to me is about being functional and braid more suited to a fixed spool reel

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. winkler

winkler Member

Perhaps make sure your using round profile braid also .I use 100lb braid straight through in the very worst ground imaginable I only fish short ie 10-60mtr easy enough to cast far enough to empty spool which due to 100lb diameter isnt hard also use two large brake blocks snd thick oil

14. IMAndrew

IMAndrew Member

I have a pair of Abu 6500 C's with level wind that I have been using with 30lb Power Pro braid straight through, for 12 years to fish clean beaches between 20 to 80 yds on my pair of 12 ft Daiwa Interline Carp rods.
    No over-runs as just lobbing it out or a nice smooth thump to cast out up to 2 oz breakaway grip lead to hold bottom.
    My review : Definitely looks the part, great light line clean beach tackle for bass, and great sensitivity and feel.

BUT - why use a multi ??? errr.... looks nice, multis looks and feels more like seafishing than carping :)

I have since loaded my 21 year old pair of Shimano Aero 6010 Baitrunners with 20lb braid and using 50lb braid leader and using this instead of the Abu multis.

Benefits so far ? Ease of usage, thinner diameter mainline, completely no worries of over-runs, and the benefit of the baitrunner function. Perfect set-up, I will never go back to multis on this pair of rods.

BUT - Will still be using mono on my big beach tackle set up for distances over 100m on my 14ft Surf Rod and Abu 6500CT Mag elite. Using mono of .35 to .40 mm mono, I am confident to launch it out there with my high pendulum.
    Just cannot be confident to really pendulum with braid on a multi, no matter brakes or mags, as any little thing that is not right will end up in a total disaster, ie. mother of all birdnest :cry:

I have also been using my second Abu 6500CT Mag elite with mono on my second beach set up with a 13 ft Daiwa X Interline Surf Rod. Does the job well and also cast a long way, reel down with my high pendulum.

BUT will be looking forward to getting a Shimano Ultegra C14+ XSB 14000 fixed spool and braid to replace the multi.
    Reason ?
    Will still be able to launch it out there reel down with a high pendulum on braid, and what I really wanted is the benefit of the Baitrunner function. Looking forward to this set up. :happydance:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. OLD CROC2

OLD CROC2 Member

I agree with coach's comments re braid. From experience I loaded a 7000 with a spool of 70lb b/s braid which cost £30, went fishing on Dover breakwater, had two casts, the line snagged during the cast and snapped, with half the line in the English Channel and the other half on the reel. I was unable to find the end of the line and had to cut it all off, so not for me thank you! I would suggest if using braid on a multi, especially with a level wind you would need a well braked spool. I would also suggest using on a f/s on the beach, absolutely brilliant for bite detection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. IMAndrew

IMAndrew Member

Is it for conger fishing in IOW ?
    I sold my Metalite ( Richard Holdgate ) built Conoflex Nemesis Plus 10 years ago on ebay to someone in IOW for his Conger hauling.

Agree that strong braid will straighten hooks and bring back your gear, whereas you would lose your entire terminal tackle including the leader if using mono as it normally breaks at the main line and leader knot.

17. lighty

lighty Member

No, its not for conger. If I have to walk a long way to some very rough ground then I don't need the hassle of carrying more than I need, hence one rod, one reel. The super strong stuff means that I don't lose much line on snags etc, my reel and line last the whole session, so i do not need spare spools of line to carry with me, or the hassle of refilling the spools
    after getting snagged and losing the lot

lighty

18. Torrsam

Torrsam Member

I have a 7000 with level wind and as an experiment loaded it with 100lb chinese braid,no leader,careful thumbing to start and then much less as confidence improved- no bird nests ( yet) work well on rough ground for me, distance maybe less than with mono but able to pull out of snags- good pay off

• Like Like x 1
  19. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor