1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

new mould preparation

Discussion in 'Boat Owning, Equipment and Maintenance' started by garry23flyer, Feb 18, 2012.

1. bamberjim

bamberjim Member

Awesome Boat Gary, you must be well pleased

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. garry23flyer

garry23flyer Member

Yeah well happy how its turned out mate.

Just need to get out and use it now.

4. Steam Blower

Steam Blower Member

What can I say that hasn't all ready been said. Its been great to watch this build, top stuff. Now you have done the easy bit i.e. built the boat, the hard bit is to try and catch some fish. lol

Best of luck to you and She I take it the Boat is a SHE?

Wayne

5. garry23flyer

garry23flyer Member

cheers mate.

i'll catch some fish alright mate. just need the weather to sort itself out now.

the boat is not a she. im not one for saying boats are she's.

6. Steam Blower

Steam Blower Member

Sorry, its just being X RN all the Boats I served on were She's.

P.S. Like the You tube vid.

7. garry23flyer

garry23flyer Member

bought myself a nice boat cradle during the week and i have welded on some 6mm base plates and fitted 6 150kg wheels to it so i can move boats about when im working on them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jeff smith

jeff smith Member

Boat looks great Garry. Really hoping you get some build orders mate and, if you do sketch up some cuddy designs be sure to put em on here.
    I reckon an open cuddy version with fixed seats would go down really well. O.K, I've just bought a Warrior 175, so im not really in the market personally but, i've had a few comments from people who come out with me who own bigger boats and they all remark how comfortable the basic design is. I reckon with that size hull, you could have the two fixed seats underneath an open cuddy. My Warrior came with a vinyl cuddy extension which I use all the time. The extra deck space on the ' Garfish' afforded by that engine pod would work extremely well I think.

9. garry23flyer

garry23flyer Member

cheers mate.

fingers crossed mate i can sell one or two.

i have got a design picture in my head of how a small forward cuddy will look.

just need some to draw it for me on a computer.

also got idea of how a wheelhouse version will look as well.

deck space on a cuddy version would be HUGE mate.

as it is i have got around 90 sq ft of clear deck on my boat with full access to the bow for sorting the anchor.

10. jeff smith

jeff smith Member

Just a personal thought. If you do a cuddy with a hatch for anchoring, make it BIG. And I do mean really BIG.Preferably with enough room for a sizable angler to stand up straight when hauling the anchor line.I 'Alderney' my anchor so I'm just dragging rope across the surface when retrieving but, one slight design flaw of the Warrior is that restricted bow hatch and the fact that I have to kneel down to use it. I h. Something that may not get any easier as I grow older.
    I know I could anchor over the side but I like things to be neat and tidy with an uncluttered deck so the bow anchor storage makes a lot of sense.

11. garry23flyer

garry23flyer Member

no worries there mate.

with the cuddy id make you could easily stand up straight through a decent sized hatch.

under the foredeck would be storage for the anchor which would be accessed through the top of the foredeck so all outside of the cuddy.

there would be a drain in there to drain any water out through the side of the hull.

i can't really start on making a cuddy until some one actually wants to buy one and then with the deposit i can make the plug and moulds for the cuddy.

12. LilBrit

LilBrit Member

Wouldn't it be possible to make the cuddy in such a way that you could walk round to the bow rather than having the access through the front?

As for deck space it might be worth considering how many are realistically likely to fish from a boat this size, then weigh up the benefits of having more shelter, particularly given the dreadful weather we get! You've saved a fair bit of space by adding the engine pod rather than hanging the motor off the transom.

Would love to see the layout for a pilothouse version of this! :thumbs::thumbs:

Got to give you credit for putting your project together mate! It was a big job overall and you've just kept bashing away at it until it was finished and overall it didn't take you that long.

I wonder what Orkney did with the moulds for the PH24 ?.......................................................................................

13. garry23flyer

garry23flyer Member

if i was to make the cuddy so you can walk around the outside of it the cuddy would end up being quite small and i don't think it would really work that well.

i can make a cuddy any length to suit what people want so not really a problem there paul.

i have got couple people interested in a full wheelhouse version which i think will would work quite well as the boat could do with that little extra bit of weight in the bow which i have added to my boat already.

only problem i can see with a full wheelhouse version is that the hull is not really deep enough so the froward deck area would have to be fitted as low as possible to keep the wheelhouse in proportion with the hull otherwise it will look too tall.

i wouldn't be surprised if orkney still have the 24 moulds.

i know they were built at northshore in bedhampton for quite a few years and they have now gone out of business so i would of thought that orkney would of took the moulds back.

14. Catch Maker

Catch Maker Member

Great effort - looks super! - Well done

15. garry23flyer

garry23flyer Member

cheers mate.

im hoping to be out fishing in it soon.

busy with work for the next week or so after that im looking to get out and catch some fish.

16. StuFish24

StuFish24 Member

Well Garry you must have been out fishing too much?

As there is no mention of the new mould!!?,

17. garry23flyer

garry23flyer Member

ssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh

what new mould lol project is coming along nicely and all will be revealed soon.

not been out yet mate.

was due to be out this week with boat fishing monthly but had to cancel due to work and am now looking to get out with them week after next.

im hoping to get out next week with my mate to give my boat a good test.

18. garry23flyer

garry23flyer Member

got a nice little stainless rod holder for the wheelhouse roof this morning of a fellow forum member.

fits perfect on the roof and it also doubles up as a grab rail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. back lash

back lash Member

they look real nice mate and the roof looks complete now.

20. garry23flyer

garry23flyer Member

yeah they do look nice mate.

fits perfect.

all i need to do now is get out and use the boat for what it was built for.

21. Just Go

Just Go Member

one word WOW!

22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor