1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

New rod needed !!!

Discussion in 'Beginners and Improvers' started by King_fisher, Nov 15, 2016.

1. King_fisher

King_fisher Member

I need a new rod badly and would like to get a good quality rod for under £100. I fish over clean ground for flatfish but every now and again I go rock fishing . I'm looking into getting the tf gear banshee twin tip or the Shakespeare agility 15ft surf 2-4oz . Does anyone know anything about these rods or any recommendations ?

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. scholsey1

scholsey1 Member

Sorry not got much to offer as have neither. What I would say is have found tf gear to be a let down in other things. My suggestion to you on the basis of your mixed fishing needs would be to go second hand for something a bit quality. Maybe you will get lucky with a daiwa supercast or something similar. Good detection for flatties and a little grunt if you need it.

Regards
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. King_fisher

King_fisher Member

I'm thinking of getting the Imax 15ft surf twin tip rod , it has has good reviews and looks the part . do u know anything about it

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Torrsam

Torrsam Member

Not sure about the agility 2-4oz- have the 4-6oz version 15ft FS, can't fault it for the money-think paid circa £60 casts well and good bite detection

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tdxs

tdxs Member

I have 2 of these can't fault them.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tim

Tim Guest

I would look at the TFG Delta range, the 14ft model is a superb rod, and well capable of doing the tasks you require.
    They have been on offer of late so you may pick one up quite cheaply, def well worth consideration, I had a pair of the 14ft rods, actually preferred them to my Century mk2 Supermatch's for most tasks, particulary flattie and ray fishing, superb tips on them.
    quickest I could find : https://www.amazon.co.uk/TF-Gear-De...75&sr=8-6&keywords=tf+fishing+beach+rods+gear

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. King_fisher

King_fisher Member

does anyone know anything about the tronixpro envoy mag

9. Tim

Tim Guest

Abu 6500 clone, I tried the silver ones out, ok for the money but i doubt they would last more than a season, better off getting a SL20SH for £65, would do all you require and last a whole lot longer, might be a bit overkill for the flatties but would come into it's own on the rocks, quality bit of kit.
    Another alternative is to buy a good secondhand reel, plenty of 65 sized reels will be on the market before and after Xmas, only problem is they are not really suitable for the rock marks, back to the SL20SH !

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. King_fisher

King_fisher Member

would the daiwa sl20sh be too big for the imax 15ft surf
    rod

• Great Catch Report Great Catch Report x 1
  11. tdxs

tdxs Member

In one word.NO.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gilly1966

Gilly1966 Member

Yes they are for rough ground all you need is a small Abu or a descent fixed spool job done and the Shakespeare agility are not very good ether but that's just my opinion

• Like Like x 1
  13. King_fisher

King_fisher Member

What reel would ye recommend so?

14. Gilly1966

Gilly1966 Member

On a budget you won't go wrong with a penn surf blast or infinity the infinity is the better reel I have two and have 30 LB spectre braid on both
    Hope this helps they are great reels look on eBay you might get a good deal ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. nmdbase1

nmdbase1 Member

I wouldn't buy a Delta, I found it a floppy horrible thing. Leeda icon m sport match for £115 is a nice rod.

16. Gooseisloose

Gooseisloose Member

leeda icon m port power really good rod great bite detection but depends if u fish with multis

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stupidluke

Stupidluke Member

Fishing Republic have the Leeda Icon M Sport Power for £119.99 but I would be tempted by the Sonik SKS Blacks they are doing for £49.99 (13ft) or £54.99 (14ft)

• Like Like x 1
  18. stevielh

stevielh Member

would a 15ft rod be to long for your rock fishing..i fish with 2 penn vipers and at 13ft4 there wasnt enough room behind me..ended up getting a couple of 2nd hand 12 ft supercasts for the rock fishing...just somthing to bear in mind..

19. CCRML

CCRML Member

hi

which shakespeare have you got? i cannot find them in that casting range - 4-6oz. Only 4-8oz. i been looking for one as well to target flatfish with hence why i am asking.. i am on the verge of getting the 2-4oz but worrie it might be to weak to lob a 3 oz two hook flapper 150 yard +.. and snapped.

20. Torrsam

Torrsam Member

Hi, that was a typo on my part- should have been 4-8oz- apologies , I know mixed reviews on here, but for me work well at 4oz lead and above, not tried an 8 oz but 6oz + large baits no problem

21. ken1989

ken1989 Member

Agree with Tim, a tfg 14ft delta and a slosh 20 would make a great channel setup.

22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor