1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Noob fly equipment for salt flats sport

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fly Fishing' started by landed, Jul 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. landed

landed Member

what wt fly rod to go for ?
    I once enjoyed and got the hang of casting and will be adding a fly rod and reel to my Arsenal for flats fishing in Antigua. But what wt rod should I take ... I know you are going to say 2 rods needed as tarpon need a 12 wt ?
    I would also welcome some advice or links to reels and any good books - I need new knots to learn too right ! That's why I'm excited and going to supplement my quiver with a fly rod :)

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. dexy

dexy Member

Ive got a 9wt snowbee deep blue 4 piece vgc im looking to get rid of if you are interested?

4. landed

landed Member

Hmm that could be used for snook and bone fish right ? But I think for tarpon I am even pushing things with a 10 ? what sort of money for it as i could start out fishing for other species...

5. dexy

dexy Member

Sent you a pm

6. FlyguyUK

FlyguyUK Member

I've not been to Antigua but for wading for bonefish my no.1 rod is a 7wt CPS or GLX. Forget 100ft casts - its all about accuracy and typically you'll be spotting and casting to fish 30ft to 60ft tops. If the wind is bad then a 8wt might be better. On a boat for bonefish then an 8wt would be my first choice as you'll be fishing deeper water and slightly heavier patterns.
    A 9wt or 10wt for reef and inshore and if you have genuine shots at big tarpon a 12wt although a 10wt or 11wt will land fish up to 60lb.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MakesNoSense

MakesNoSense

Good post. Only thing I would say is a 10 or 11 is more than capable of landing 100 pound tarpon, even more in the right hands. Would I recommend it for a beginner, no, #12. Good post, good information.

8. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor