1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Out of touch !

Discussion in 'Casting' started by JimmyJ, Jan 2, 2017.

1. JimmyJ

JimmyJ Member

I've been out of the casting, well the fishing thing for many many years now, but I am starting to get the idea of trying it again. BUT...

Im very out of touch with rods these days, reels I should imagine are still much the same, Abu's etc with mag brakes.

But when I left, the Dymic HST was the top Zippy Rod. I completely forget the Century rod that was popular, I just remember it was 14ft. Greys were not long added to the field, Apollo if I remember right.

So what is hot now ? I just read that Terry Carroll is no longer with us, which is a true shame. I've missed so much would love to catch up :) Any help is appreciated.

(The only rod I kept is my Conoflex Ballistic, which unfortunatly would not cope with field casting lol)

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. coach

coach Member

I used to Cast- just for fun you understand.. half a brick tied to corlene on a broom handle with a nail in the end. Your Ballistic will 'field'!??? cast... if there is such a thing,. as will ANY!! other rod.
    A rod is A rod. It Will cast. How far is up to how good you are!! And very little to do with the rod!...
    Until you are 250 plus.... IMHO.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. WoodsmanUK

WoodsmanUK Member

Had to switch to 9" hollows when his eyesight went.. :p

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stupidluke

Stupidluke Member

I have just bought a Dymic HST Evo I thought it was a modern rod, don't tell me I have been ripped off with some old Flintstone Zziplex. :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Stupidluke

Stupidluke Member

Half a brick, that was in the caveman days! We use a modern material these days coach....it is called lead. You can get some from a church roof near you.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. coach

coach Member

Everyone else beat me to it:(:cry:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. JimmyJ

JimmyJ Member

Obviously a rod isn't just a rod. And I'm no beginner. So I'm looking for info on the newer casting rods.

9. coach

coach Member

-
    Matthew b. And what exactly in my post did you "disagree" with????:mad:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  10. Aidan.z.may

Aidan.z.may Member

To be honest all the Zziplexes and centuries will put a 125rg lead 200m (even the profiles and TTSMLDs which are stupidly thin and seem soft). In my experience (and I've only been casting 1 year) all rods will do good distances (I've got and old conoflex super 5 and I've put 150gr 160 mtrs with it which isn't bad for a rod that's nearly 30 years old). If you really want a seriously good field rod for an average sized guy, you can't go far wrong with a Zziplex HST or a century Excalibur C curve. The top casting rods (to the best of my knowledge) that Zziplex have done recently are: Zeteque TXL, TRC, TBR, M427SU among others. The casting rods that century have done (to the best of my knowledge) are: WR300, Excalibur TT, TT-R, E1000, T1000 and the recently released T1200.... But bear in mind that if you stopped casting "many, many" years ago the rods were a very different in stiffness and action so the stiffest rods nowadays don't suit many people apart from massive guys and the best casters... My advice: get down to a local casting club and have a look at what people are using.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. JimmyJ

JimmyJ Member

Thank you, some new names there I can look at. The rod I was using before I stopped was a basic Century Kompressor. But I used zippy hst 's and my best was with a century TT Blue if I remember right. I will go to a local event if I can find them, any one know where whatever they are called now, they used to be the surf casting federation of Wales.

12. crack off colin

crack off colin Member

If your technique is sound then most rods will put a lead a long way

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. lipslicker

lipslicker Member

Just a guess, but one imagines the flippant chat about stealing from churches might grate?
    I am no God botherer- far from it - but imagine a few decent people might have raised their eyes at Luke's comment.

14. coach

coach Member

Seriously!!!.... I am a Christian and I wasn't offended!!! Nor by your flippant use of the term 'God botherer'....
    Unfortunately we'll never know since Matthew b didn't see fit to expand.

• Like Like x 1
  15. lipslicker

lipslicker Member

My flippancy over imaginary beings should not really be equated to a flippancy on vandalism and theft, even by a Christian.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. lipslicker

lipslicker Member

Just banter.
    :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. coach

coach Member

Just for a minute there thought we'd have to start calling you Mary Whitehouse:BigGrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. coach

coach Member

I've been waiting for someone else to post..? ... but they haven't so,..

Reels are Not the same.. one piece machined lightweight cages (QTC) Ceramic, or hybrid, or higher quality s.s. bearings..
    hardened spindles..
    Lightweight spools machined to proper accurate tolerances (Zeta)..
    blackdog I understand is the man to talk to about this ( and even more !!)
    ..and i'm surprised no one has mentioned Veret- especially the Gloriosa???... my personal experience of these rods is limited- we don't seem get too many of them 'Oop North'!! (potential BIG opportunity for someone here???) But from what I have heard and in my small experience they are right up there at the cutting edge.
    I 've read your original post two or three times now and to be honest I can't decide whether you are asking about casting or fishing rods/reels?
    However since this is a Casting forum I've answered from the casting side. Hope this is O.K.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor