1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Penn 525 Mag 2 washer

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Maintenance' started by gadusmorhua, Dec 17, 2016.

1. gadusmorhua

gadusmorhua Member

After viewing JV's excellent step by step guide on a part service of a 525 Mag2 on seaanglingreports.co.uk I felt confident enough to replace the factory oil in the reel's bearings.
    Following the guide I removed both bearings and left them in an egg cup of lighter fluid for the proscribed twenty minutes, then removed them to drain on some kitchen towel. Remaining in the egg cup was a thin washer/shim, having the same external and internal diameter as the bearings. There was no mention of such a washer in the guide so I checked the exploded diagram, and there is nothing shown there either.
    Obviously the washer was adhering to one of the bearings, but which one, and on which side? I assume whichever bearing it belongs to it sits under the bearing, so I've tried placing it under the bearing at the click ratchet end of the spindle.
    The reel is reassembled and seems to function correctly, spinning faster than previously, though I've yet to cast with it.
    I've studied the diagram and can't see any such washer/shim anywhere, and in any case I only carried out the simple part service- why is it always me who ends up with the part leftover? :confused2:

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. bracklesham boy

bracklesham boy Member

if I remember rightly it sits behind the spool bearing on the mag end.:)

4. gadusmorhua

gadusmorhua Member

Thanks, I guessed right then- for once ! I wonder why it isn't on the schematic diagram? I also wonder how important it is.

5. blakdog

blakdog Member

They are fitted as needed I think to centralise the spool in the cage .... adding the shim effectively pushes the spool to the right away from the magnets.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. gadusmorhua

gadusmorhua Member

Thanks everyone, I must have it got it right as I got the reel to sing for the first time yesterday. Apart from the rocket fuel I've reduced the mags to six clicks off the minimum, which has made a big difference, but I'm still waiting for my first birdsnest !

• Like Like x 1
  7. Norm B

Norm B Member

:) As it's Christmas you can have one of my birds nests if you like. :)

8. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor