1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing - for a full statement please see the following thread:

VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing

Dismiss Notice

Penn fathom 15 service.

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Maintenance' started by ken1989, Apr 11, 2015.

1. ken1989

ken1989 Member

Serviced my fathom 15 and took some pics to help you guys if you want to service yours in the future. Hope it helps. Here goes........
    image.jpg The reel was brand new, these are the products I use in it. image.jpg
    Start by removing the 3 screws on the left hand side plate.
    image.jpg Remove the plate and you will see this, the brake holder and blocks. Note the blue grease everywhere as standard on the penns from the factory. Clean off all excess grease. image.jpg A picture of the sideplate removed with brake drum and ratchet assembley, again remove excess grease. image.jpg You can now remove the spool and spindle from the frame, and then remove spindle from spool simply by pulling out. image.jpg image.jpg Picture of a clean sideplate ready for a light greasing. image.jpg a picture of the frame looking into reel. image.jpg Now back to the spool, remove the 3 screws holding the block holder on then remove the holder. These reels do suffer with block issues, they burn out and re engage themselves. I will at some point mag this reel or fit different blocks but until these burn out I will use them. Now then were was I, image.jpg Right then to stop the re engaging faults I removed the blocks I was not using, you can do this with a small nose pliers by pulling the metal pin up, be careful not to lose the block and spring setup, handy for when the ones in the reel burn out. I have mine running on 2 blocks as you can see.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. ken1989

ken1989 Member

image.jpg You can then remove bearing and shims from spool, then remove clip and washer from other side of spool to remove that bearing. Then soak the bearings in lighter fluid. image.jpg image.jpg Remove the bearings from the bath and dry with tissue, then add a few drops of red label oil on each side of bearing and re install bearings back into spool. Then re fit block holder and 3 screws also slighty oil spindle and refit that and the spool is built ready for re fitting. image.jpg image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. ken1989

ken1989 Member

Right then were ready for the gear side, remove the handle lock screw then the handle bolt with the spanner supplied. image.jpg image.jpg then unwind and remove star drag, and then remove drag clicker from shaft. image.jpg image.jpg You can then remove 2 washers from shaft under clicker, take note how they come out, then remove the 5 screws to get remaing side plate free from frame. Like in picture above, as you can see heavy grease that needs to be cleaned then new applied lightly. image.jpg Now then this is what you will see looking at the frame, dont panic it's pretty simple! Start by removing the complete main gear from the post by simply pulling off. image.jpg Then start removing washer stack from gear by pulling off but take note which way they are removed. image.jpg Wipe blue grease from washers and apply a little bit of cals drag grease to prolong the life of the drag, then simply rebuild the washer stack the way it come off, grease very lightly! image.jpg Now you can remove the pinion gear and yoke mechanism, remove the springs from the posts, then pull the pinion gear and yoke up off the posts and then slide out the eccentric jack image.jpg image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. ken1989

ken1989 Member

Now you can clean the plate and lightly grease. image.jpg And then clean the frame before refitting the parts you removed from it. image.jpg You can remove the Instant Anti Reverse bearing by pushing through side plate and add a few drops of oil to it and then refit it back into plate. image.jpg image.jpg Rebuild pinion gear and yoke, eccentric jack and main gear in reverse order, grease gears lightly with marine grease, refit post springs, then refit side plate and 5 screws, grease the threads on the screws to stop corrosion build up. image.jpg image.jpg
    Refit the 2 spring washers correctly and refit the clicker assembley and star drag, then the washer, handle and retaining bolt and screw. image.jpg Now your ready for the left side, I oiled the brake drum lightly to see if this will prolong the life of my brake blocks in anyway, time will tell, this is not necessary, just personal preference. Grease plate lightly and refit plate and grease screws, refit the 3 screws.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. ken1989

ken1989 Member

Wipe all excess grease and oil from reel with rag, check all screws are tight, check there are no noises from reel when operated and check everything works, load with line and shock leader and your ready for the beach. Hope this helps!! Thanks for looking. image.jpg Sorry for dodgy pics and text, done this one my phone!! Reels right for a few months now!! Tight lines all.;)

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. gorby

gorby Member

Very nice Ken.....I know where to go when I need mine done now then!!! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. blakdog

blakdog Member

Excellent job, I bet that was a lot of work to put that together Ken .. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. ken1989

ken1989 Member

It was doing it on the phone Russ, that's why it's a bit all over the place! Ha, hope it can help somebody out one day.

10. ken1989

ken1989 Member

Cheers mate, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  11. blakdog

blakdog Member

Its hard work to take the pictures with one hand I know from experience .... but hats off to you, that was a lot of work and I suspect it will help tons of people.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. ken1989

ken1989 Member

Thanks again Russ.:)

13. Tim

Tim Guest

Ought to make this a sticky

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. gert

gert Member

Hi ,

very useful post Ken , thank's for sharing the nice work ! ;)

Gert

• Like Like x 1
  15. ken1989

ken1989 Member

No prob lads, happy to share, I've learned a lot from this site over the years.:)

16. AndyT46

AndyT46 Member

Should be a sticky this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. gorby

gorby Member

Ken

So glad you did this, wind blew my rod and reel over today down morfa...rod and brand new fathom under water and full of sand :eek::eek::eek:

Just stripped it down, cleaned it out and removed half the beach, hope it all goes back together :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. ken1989

ken1989 Member

Lol, what a coincidence, hope all goes well. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  19. gorby

gorby Member

All clean and re greased, fitted together and runs very smoothly!! Very surprised by the amount of heavy blue grease in there....cheers Ken!!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. ken1989

ken1989 Member

Glad of that Geraint, yes penn do pack the grease in their reels. Enjoy the reels mate, they are tidy reels for the cash.

• Like Like x 2
  21. ken1989

ken1989 Member

This is also the same for the fathom 12 lads. So don't be afraid to have a go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor