1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Penn fathom 15 service.

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Maintenance' started by ken1989, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Steve Tr

Steve Tr Global Moderator Deputy Administrator Global Moderator Species Hunt Co-Ordinator
    1. Vintage Fishing Tackle Club

Made sticky. I have left it open for now, but, if Ken asks later, I can clean up the thread to just the instructions.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Riley04

Riley04 Member

Hi Ken I've just come across your excellent tutorial on a penn 15 service,I've just finished doing mine but not quite sure which way round key8 x2 washers and 18a keyed spring washer everything was going great until my dog got in on the act any info be much appreciated.
    Cheers Kevin.

4. dean191

dean191 Member

Had mine in bits today after it became a bit grindy. The culprit looked like the pinion bearing that sits in the side plate and is held in by a circlip. Took a fair bit of wiggling and persuading to get out, didn't do the circlip much good in the process, probably due in part to dissimilar metals? Packed the bearing with grease and had a time getting it back in because of how beat up the gold alloy housing got getting the bloody thing out. Something to watch out there for guys, tons and tons of blue grease except where it could have done with a bit!

5. Big bait up

Big bait up Member

xcellent pics/detail,very good of you to take the time to put this all together,cheers:)

• Like Like x 1
  6. ken1989

ken1989 Member

Thanks. :)

7. blakdog

blakdog Member

Wouldn't normally grease a pinion bearing (the one the pinion gear sits in) personally ... need to be cleaned and oiled regularly like a spool bearing). Be careful because the grease has a knack of finding its way into the spool bearing that end and causing grief. You tend to find that grease will actually make them sound grindy on the retrieve .. much quieter with oil. If they are not quiet with oil, throw the thing out and put a new one in ... the standard ones are not the best you could fit.

Would agree on the standard grease job ....

• Like Like x 1
  8. dean191

dean191 Member

Mine's a boat reel so I won't really mind a bit of grease getting into the spool bearings, not desirable but won't kill it. I'll give out a try on the wrecks at the weekend, hope it's a touch less grindy but if it's still a bit second hand I'll re bearing the whole thing. She's a good old girl, worth spending a quid or two on.

9. blakdog

blakdog Member

See your point ... they tend to get a lot more of a salt wash in a boat too don't they so very logical. Well worth a few bearings, I suspect the ones that Penn fit are not what you would expect to be long life. I'll shut up now :):)

• Like Like x 1
  10. dean191

dean191 Member

The bearings that are in there are rubbish :) no idea where to source new ones. Someone who runs one of the country's top online tackle/ reel spares/ tuning shops ought to start doing a kit really with full a set of bearings and new circlips. Bet he'd sell loads ;)

11. mike hemming

mike hemming Member

i bet he's thinking the same , he's going to have 2 of mine 3rd week in august, whanting a full services and mono maged , AND new bearings , bless you russ lol

12. blakdog

blakdog Member

All of the bearings in the fathom (with the exception of the IAR) are already available on there ... they are all labelled as fitting something else mind as I haven't had time to sort myself out :( I'm doing the accounts and putting together a completely new website at the moment as well as busy with reels so I've had to prioritise a bit :confused:

I will attempt to find some time ASAP because I reckon you are right and they would be a good little earner as Dell-Boy would say.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ken1989

ken1989 Member

Hi lads, had mine magged a few weeks ago by Chris Macey, would of had it done by blakdog but Chris is local to me so easier to drop the reel to him rather than post to russ, (they both do a great job) anyway back to the magged reel. I used the reel a few times, started off very docile, controllable, quite fast and smooth, after about 5 outings it became unusable, removed sideplate to find blocks burnt out, thought about going down the abu block road but then thought a mag would gave me more control with wind etc. glad I did, the reel is superb, its turned a great reel into a superb reel. If penn put their mag system on the fathom, they could discontinue the 525 and 515 range and these fathoms would fly off the shelves. I would like another to pair up but the missus thinks I have too many. Lol image.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. ken1989

ken1989 Member

So if you lads want yours magged because of the weak brake blocks on the fathoms you need to speak to Chris Macey or Russ (blakdog tackle) both excellent at what they do. Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. mike hemming

mike hemming Member

i had mine to bits today followed the pics and was so simple ,allso had my end plate maged by blackdog all so replacement bearings from russ as well , im very impressed with it allsuch a smooth reel, :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. frankg

frankg Member

just got a pair. this will help me know end, cheers ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. mike hemming

mike hemming Member

send the end plates of to blackdog get em maged it completly changes the reel into a fantasic reel , while your at it change the bearings as well, then you will have the perfect reel

• Like Like x 1
  18. ken1989

ken1989 Member

Great reels mate, even better when magged as Mike says.

• Like Like x 1
  19. japost

japost Member

Hi Ken, Newby Joe here, thank you for your post. I just bought a Fathom 30, as I go about chasing large pelagic's here out of San Diego and Baja. I have never serviced my own gear but as I am getting a bit older now I have a hankering to do it myself. I just came back from an overnight and used the 30 for the first time. My first impression was I am now in love with my reel, ha. It casted like a dream right out of the box and I was throwing Wahoo bombs half the day. But looking at your pictures and seeing all the grease in there I am wondering how much more distance I could get by a good clean out. However, I have the 2 speed lever drag version, I am thinking there is quite a bit more to servicing this puppy. Have you ever worked on a 2 speed LD? 1014152001.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  20. ken1989

ken1989 Member

Hi there, glad you enjoy your new toy. Yes they do pack quite a bit of grease in them, I've never worked on the lever drag myself but a simple clean and service wouldn't be to hard to do. Even if you just remove the spool and bearings, flush them out and oil them etc using quality oil. I wouldn't of thought thers a lot of difference in the main guts of the reels as you say just a more complicated drag system, sometimes before taking apart, each step I take a photo so you remember how that part goes back on. All the best with the reel hope you catch many with it. Some people are happy to use straight out of the box! Enjoy. :)

21. what is your opinion of these reels blakdog ? i am thinking of getting one or a pair for the mixed ground fishing we have up here now the cod are spreading out a bit and the usual marks are getting very busy. they look well built at a glance , like they will take a bit of abuse withoyt problems.
    cheers rab

22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor