1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Penn fathom 15 service.

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Maintenance' started by ken1989, Apr 11, 2015.

1. i think the standard bearings in all penn reels are poor. the grease problem hasnt changed sine the very first 525 and 535,s came out either. think i must have done about 20 of them when they first came out for mates and club mates. new bearings or bearing washed out and oiled.

i used to be able to get quality bearings at better prices than penn and daiwa from the local bearing services place, but the funny sized ones daiwa use in slosh,s have gone up a helluva lot. a pity as it used to be economical to buy a new main shaft when the end snapped off and a new bearing kit from the local place, now they are the same price as daiwa the reels just go in the bin.
    cheers rab

• Like Like x 1
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. blakdog

blakdog Member

Very good for the money ... cheap bearings can be changed when they get rough (probably won't last long for you on the rough stuff) but they cast well and have pretty good gears. The parts aren't stupid money and they do have bearings in all the right places, though I think the lower drive bearing is a bit too small. The pinion face is square which makes the link between gears and spool very sound but you do have to watch that it is lubed ... and the plate it engages with on the spool is steel so that needs to be watched but personally I like them. All the good points of the old 525s but without the plastic. I don't think you can do better for the money at the moment.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. thanks blakdog ,that is what i was hoping to hear . they are nice compact reels as well. by the sounds of it a mag conversion will be well worth it .do i need to send the reel down to you, or is it new parts i can fit myself ?
    cheers rab

5. blakdog

blakdog Member

We need the side plate and the white cog/brake assembly from the end of the spool. You just bolt back on when we send it back.

I have a 12 and love it ... very clean ground down here which means this reel will handle absolutely anything I'm likely to come across - the worst it gets is the odd bit of lumpy bottom, big weed or winding Dvices up the side of deep gulleys ... it doesn't even get a sweat on and has really fast retreive. As you say, they are compact and feel good on the rod, they don't feel like a compromise to balanced gear like some of the other "toughies" do.

• Like Like x 1
  6. thanks blakdog, i will send it down once i pick it up .
    cheers rab

7. ken1989

ken1989 Member

Can't fault the price of the fathom's great reels. Bet it's one of the best sellers now! Lol.

8. poutbasher

poutbasher Member

Sorry to bump this but!!!...
    Does this part sit this way image.jpeg or this way image.jpeg

9. blakdog

blakdog Member

smooth face upwards .. i.e. on the outside (second picture)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor