1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Power gum

Discussion in 'General Sea Angling Discussion' started by Bykerfisher, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Bykerfisher

Bykerfisher Member

The old man dusted his 2 greys Apollo rods off and we head up to amble for a throw. When I was fishing one of my crimps come loose on my 2hook flapper, so asked my dad had any pinchers. Told him what for, he said just use abit power gum, didn't know what he ment. Long story short come over with this line tied some kind knot, problem solved. Just wondering is this an old school thing, or do many people use it?

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Nismo

Nismo Member

powergum is widely used for bait stops, i dont like it as a crimp as it can slip when a fish is on and will get in a proper tangle with the other snoods but good for a quick fix

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Huss Hustler

Huss Hustler Member

Hiya George,
    I use a 14lb powergum stop knot (grinner) above a couple of sequins as a bait stop on my clipped down rigs, i also use the same knot but with 2 or 3cm tag ends above a bead as a float stop when floatfishing.
    Rick;)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Mal Edwards

Mal Edwards Member

I use it instead of crimps. When you are lucky enough to catch a sizeable fish, it pulls the lot to the bottom and then the lead is out of the way (like a pulley rig). If you prefer for it to stay in place, tie two (one after another).

Stopped using crimps when I realised that I'd been over squeezing them and how dangerous this can be.

Regards,

Mal

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. silver fillet

silver fillet Member

Telephone wire

7. Bykerfisher

Bykerfisher Member

It was just the top crimp on my 2hook flapper had moved down when I got snagged. Was the only way stop it coming down, as left my pinchers in my other box in the house

8. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor