1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Quick Question(s)...

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Maintenance' started by Clear as Mud, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Clear as Mud

Clear as Mud Member

Took 2 of my 525 mag spool bearings out for a clean last week and put back together with no apparent issues...

Q1 - Does it matter which way the spool bearings go back in?

One of the reels is stinking inside and noisy when turning the handle as a result...

Q2 - What's the best method/solution to clean off the old grease from the working parts?

Will get some Cal's grease ordered for the replacement.

Any assistance appreciated.

Mark

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Clear as Mud

Clear as Mud Member

4. Airmech

Airmech Member

If the bearings are "Open" then I would put the open side inboard to prevent ingress of dirt, if they are shielded then it doesn't matter. I clean the grease and old cack out of my reel with a toothbrush/cotton bud and WD40 I find as good as anything else. if you are not willing to open up the RHS to re-grease then don't let too much WD40 get into it as it will break down the existing grease in there. It's likely that the bearing you can see in the RHS with the spool out just needs a bit of lube as I find that one susceptible to rusting up if you don't stay on top of it. Any proprietary reasonable grease will do the job but I use "Waterproof" bearing grease from work. If it's noisy and sticking don't turn it.....Take it apart and clean it, you won't be doing the working parts any favours turning it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Clear as Mud

Clear as Mud Member

Thanks Airmech, much appreciated. To be honest I have never gave them a thorough cleaning but have, after every trip, washed them down and put a bit of RF on the bearings...will give them a strip down and a good clean. the bearings are closed BTW.

Thanks again for taking the time to write that up.

6. Airmech

Airmech Member

Take the bearings out, I just pop them onto a cotton bud and spin them a few times by hand in a small pot of nail varnish remover (thanks for the tip Jim), dry them out just by blowing them, dry them again and make sure they are double dry and add a drop of oil then re-install. Before fitting it all back together place the spool on the spindle and spin it, if it sounds rough even a tiny amount it will be quadruple rough when assembled so do the same thing with the bearings, if you can't get them to run smooth, replace them. On re-assembly make double sure there is no cack in the rim around the cage where the spool fits, obviously it's closeish tolerance so any cack will grind away the edge of the spool.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  7. Toonmania

Toonmania Member

Personally I wouldn't use nail varnish remover to clean the bearings out, nail varnish remover contains Acetone which will leave a residue inside the bearing race although it will work the residue will breakdown the new oil or grease quicker, your better off using lighter fluid to clean them as the evaporates leaving no residue

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Airmech

Airmech Member

True. Jim did say not the "posh stuff" which contains acetone. thanks Toon.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Clear as Mud

Clear as Mud Member

Cheers guys...used white spirit, which I read somewhere that it cleans ok.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Airmech

Airmech Member

TBH anything will do as long as it's a proper cleaner and you dry it off so that it doesn't leave a residue which breaks down the oil you then apply. Did it work ?

11. Clear as Mud

Clear as Mud Member

Seemed to have mate...spools definitely run smoother...the rest will have to wait a few months as I'm now back at work in Africa but will be ordering some grease etc. in the mean time! Have already planned a maintenance day on 27 March prior to a West Bex plaice session on 28th.

12. blakdog

blakdog Member

I don't know where you got that from but Acetone will not leave residue. One of the reasons its so popular as a cleaning agent is the fact that it evaporates so quickly and leaves nothing behind. I use it in preference.

If you use acetone and the bearing runs badly afterwards then check that they don't have nylon cages in them ... solvents will often melt the nylon cages and that leaves a residue. The other great fairy tale going about at the moment is that you can't use solvents on ceramic bearings ... utter make believe as the ceramic balls won't suffer at all.

Just noticed the mention of white spirit ... awful stuff and it won't clear the old oil/dirt out properly.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Clear as Mud

Clear as Mud Member

Thanks for that Blakdog...I will do them again in lighter fluid before their next use.

14. Toonmania

Toonmania Member

It's a well known fact within the bearing game not to use acetone based products as cleaners in bearings they obviously only recommend there own cleaners but the closest off the shelf product would be lighter fluid.
    when I go to survey large industrial bearings onsite at power stations etc with engineers from SKF, INA and FAG I'd be thrown off site for trying to use acetone based product

15. blakdog

blakdog Member

Look acetone (propanone) up .... it leaves no residue, it does not harm ceramic balls or the metal parts and it cleans out the oil and dirt (very well). It evaporates much quicker than the likes of lighter fluid. Its widely used in industry as a degreasing agent because it leaves no residue behind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Toonmania

Toonmania Member

Ok we are told on all the courses I have been on with the major bearing manufacturers of europe not to use Acetone to clean oil grease residue, perhaps they tell you because they want you to use there cleaners, but I simply don't use Acetone then there is no arguments, the reasoning THEY give is because it leaves a residue.
    the likes of SKF spend tens of millions every year developing cleaners and lubricants for there bearings but the next course I'm on I shall inform them they can save those millions and that nail varnish remover should be used instead :thumbsup: I should get a massive bonus for that idea lol!!!

In small reel bearings perhaps it makes no difference I'm just passing on what the Bearing manufacturers suggest, I'm not suggesting you can't or it won't work I'm just telling you what we are told when working on a bearing whether that be £5 or £40,000

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  17. Airmech

Airmech Member

I'm with Blakdog on this one, we use it at work for cleaning bearings as it leaves no residue and is fast evaporating. I guess it comes down to the quality of the acetone you use. I'll experiment with lighter fluid and then acetone to see if the spool spin time changes at all.

18. Airmech

Airmech Member

bBy the way, the acetone I have is pretty good quality as I "borrowed" it from work and is the chemical itself rather than a nail varnish remover containing acetone.

19. Toonmania

Toonmania Member

Fill your boots I personally don't mind what you use, I'm just passing on what we are informed

20. blakdog

blakdog Member

Nail varnish remover is generally not pure acetone ... and the other components in it will leave a residue. I suspect your power station bods are concerned on the purity or possibly over contact with seals maybe, which acetone often doesn't get on well with.

Ultimately acetone is used in industry because it evaporates completely ... that's why they use it to degrease for some coatings and paints and in glass fibre production ... it supposedly leaves nothing behind to corrupt the job and I've used it for 30+ years to clean my bearings with no ill effects. I always get mine from a glassfibre source ... that way you get what you pay for and not cheap impure stuff which Ebay is awash with.

Just an ad while I think of it ... if you have silicon grease in your bearings (some come that way) then don't use acetone. The stuff is a pain to get out and the best thing I've used is blowing jizer through the bearing .. though by the time I worked it out it would have been cheaper to replace the bearings.

21. Toonmania

Toonmania Member

Possibly you are right in the fact they maybe worried about the purity
    I used the term nail varnish remover as it was used above, the term the bearing manufacturers not the end users tell us is "Acetone"so I imagine they only mean the pure
    stuff but maybe if they say "no acetone" then it rules out someone using a substance that isn't pure but contains it thus covering there own ass and increasing there own sales I don't doubt, but yes you are right seals wouldn't like it

the seals in the power station stuff are around 12" from the bearing in use and are removed for cleaning the smallest bearings they use in the coal mills where they grind the coal before being burnt are 980mm bore and 1850mm od and each roller is over 1ft in diameter

22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor