1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing - for a full statement please see the following thread:

VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing

Dismiss Notice

Rail mounted rod holders

Discussion in 'Boat Owning, Equipment and Maintenance' started by jonC, Jan 9, 2017.

1. jonC

jonC Member

I am after a few stainless rail mounted rod holders, I am sure they have been covered here before but wondered if anyone has recently bought any?
    Also when they are in use how secure are they? Do you trust them in use or put lanyards on?
    I currently have some flush hole type ones, but would like a few options. Jon

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Oddball62

Oddball62 Member

ive got the plastic ones but im going for the s/s ones but you should always use a lanyard better to be safe than sorry they bolt on and a grub screw secures them in place stops them moving at least the ones ive looked at do

4. jonC

jonC Member

Yes all the ones I've seen clamp on around the railing . I wondered how well they would cope with a decent fish running or more likely a raft of seaweed!

5. paullynam

paullynam Member

You can zoom in on this photo and see how they can be fitted to the rail. I have lost rods when plastic holders have snapped under strain. Never had a problem with the steel holders and even leave the rods in them when streaming around and again have never lost anything.

In the long run, IMHO, you're better off with the steel holders.

Attached Files:

6. garry23flyer

garry23flyer Member

7. jonC

jonC Member

Thanks, they are what I have looked at, but my Arvor only has limited vertical sections to mount on, so may need to mount on the horizontal section, do you think they would wrap around tight enough to hold?

8. garry23flyer

garry23flyer Member

most rod holders on a horizontal rail will at some point spin round the rail.

mine are mounted on uprights and dont move at all.

you could possibly tighten them up quite tight which in tern may crush the rail slightly which may stop it spinning round.

i have found the stainless rod holders do grip better than the plastic rod holders.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  9. jonC

jonC Member

I guess I could suffer the light cosmetic damage on the rail, I will order a few and see how they go, thanks jon

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steveh24

Steveh24 Member

11. jonC

jonC Member

Good idea thanks. Have you ever tried putting one of those rubbers on a bat, I put one on my boys bat last summer, murder...

12. Steveh24

Steveh24 Member

Yes difficult to get on and even more difficult to get off, but they do give you great grip when holding the bat.

At least when fitting it to the rail you have to slit it first so it's easy to fit.

I've four of the Rod Rests that Garryflyer has given a link to, they are very good, but like Garry I wasn't quite sure about the plastic tube inside, but for now I've left mine alone and I'm getting used to the rods only going in so far, I guess with the rod at the right angle they are not going anywhere.

13. Arvor 215

Arvor 215 Member

IMG_2018.JPG
    I have these on my Arvor ,
    Great rod holders , google down east rod holders

Dave

14. jonC

jonC Member

They look good too Dave, I will look at them this evening. I have the four flush holders that are standard, I think I may put 2 extras in on each piece of wood on the side. The existing ones drive me mad, feel like I am watching tennis, I like to have rods together so I can compare the movement. Jon

15. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor