1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Reducer

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Shirleycodlin, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Shirleycodlin

Shirleycodlin Global Moderator - The Cod Obsessed one. Deputy Administrator Global Moderator

Evening.
    Anyone know what size reducer is needed for a Zziplex V Max F1 ?
    Looks to be somewhere between 18 and 19 mm
    Dont want to order 1 and find it's too tight!
    Thanks
    Shirl.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. DINOBOY

DINOBOY Member

you sure its not the one with the built in reducer mate? there were two models of the F1

4. Shirleycodlin

Shirleycodlin Global Moderator - The Cod Obsessed one. Deputy Administrator Global Moderator

Could be. Got 2. both are 13tf.
    Either way, the reel is used about 3 inches up from the butt. So a reducer will make life easier reeling in!
    If the reducer was a built in one, would there be a join in the butt? There is not one.

5. DINOBOY

DINOBOY Member

there would be no visible joint, the rod with the reducer built in had a trigger grip reel seat on them from new.
    this rod was also a bit softer than the other one, see if i can dig up some info on them as it was a pretty grey area when they were new on the block. I had the reducer one and quite liked it but it did lack pulling power for me, joy to cast tho..

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. liphook

liphook Member

Are you talking about a captive reducer? Like the Conoflex design of old?

7. Shirleycodlin

Right, I have one of each then!! (Well, my other half has one of each!) Trouble is, she fishes reel down and really does need a reducer to aid winding in, especially when cranking in through the weed and rocks of Norway.

8. DINOBOY

DINOBOY Member

I would put a vernier in the ends of the blanks and see what you got mate and go from there to see what size tubes you need. It's not for casting off so glass will do it

9. liphook

liphook Member

1st thing to ascertain would be wether or not the butt has a reinforcing wrap to facilitate the safe use of a reducer. If not I'd recommend a thread wrap with resin. I'm not familiar with the VmaxF1 so can't help there.
    It would be nice if you answered the question about the captive reducer or explained how a reducer could be built in otherwise? Surely if you can't remove it or retract it then it reduces nothing and is just a built in permanent extension!

10. DINOBOY

DINOBOY Member

All zziplex are reinforced at the butt end as standard. The reducer was made as a factory built part of the rod. 'No step' can be seen other than a slight taper. Removable or not terry called it a reducer so that's its name.

11. Bomb

Bomb Member

reducer ...to reduce diameter.
    the last sentence above sums up terry to a tee ,
    what you see is what you got ,
    very straight talking guy ,
    sadly missed by all .
    bomb

• Like Like x 1
  12. liphook

liphook Member

Well I live and learn! It was explained to me as removable section to reduce the overall length when it came to casting 'reel down'.
    I can say with absolute certainty that not all Zziplex blanks have reinforced butt end wraps having built and rebuilt my fair share over the years. Either way I'd check that you can safely add a reducer to an existing reducer Shirl if that makes any sense! The last thing you want to do is split the blank when reeling in under a heavy load. If it's got a reverse taper then fitting anything could be a challenge!
    I had some interesting conversations with TC and the world is a poorer place without him that's for sure. The same can be said of the demise of Conoflex but that's another story. Thanks for the info gents and good luck Mr and Mrs Shirl

13. DINOBOY

DINOBOY Member

Liphook, I had a pair of these and to gain extra length I added reducers/extensions 'call em what you like' they do the same thing lol. I actually put the reel on the reducer at the time and clamped the reducer in place with a single coaster 'safe n sound'
    You can't actually see the reinforcement on most blanks but it's there without a doubt as I remember reading an article terry wrote about his blanks including that. As you pointed out tho a whipping add on is a good backup.

14. STAN M

STAN M Member

Calm down guys, you are talking about a tube of glass/carbon :) The Zzippies are reinforced, on a lot of models that is internal and impossible to see. The latest Harrison fly blanks are the same, internal 85mm reinforcing means only a 1/2inch wrap is needed over the female end rather than a longer wrap.

Reducer / extension ???? I can simplify it when I was doing beach rods I called it a butt tube :laugh:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. alekee

alekee Member

Original Vmax F2 with factory built in reducer retrieval extension and Fuji 22mm trigger reel seat:

Butt end reinforced (3 1/4") at the factory by Terry and remember him telling me you ain't going to break it fishing.

If you do an add on then add reinforcing threads to be on the safe side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. liphook

liphook Member

Great info as always on this section. We reamain 'all calm here' I hope Stan. Unlike the reel modding/nodding threads! Still I can state with absolutely no doubts that not all Zziplex blanks are reinforced at the butt end. LDC, Quatra Carp, SeaRaiders are the obvious examples but there are many others , mostly early pre extensions! I know TC had some collapsible mandrels for parallel butt sections. Many were cut down to finished length to remove the lower flag scrim that often 'flaked' when extracted from standard 'needle' mandrels. Discuss :BigGrin:

17. saltzworth

saltzworth Member

with the present demand for reducers/extensions exceeding demand and most rods seemingly sold without,it's a wonder that someone stepped in to knock some up.back to reinforcement,i have 2 powertex butts which seem to have an extra layer of material to take an extension,not the fibreglass wrap you get at the top;just extra material for the last 3 or 4 inches.these are the 5 foot butts and would need an extension for low reel use.rods have become much longer these days and i personally would need to mount the reel higher up the butt(low reel)anyway,depends on the user i suppose and the consideration of powerpoint and fulcrum butts where your hands really need to be in the right place. atb

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. DINOBOY

DINOBOY Member

Another pointless spew, second bit is interesting tho.

19. liphook

liphook Member

Pointless spew? You are a tube. :gtfo:Cheerio

20. DINOBOY

DINOBOY Member

See what I mean! Lol.

Carp rods uptiders and pre reel down rods lol. Obvious I would say so yes pointless spew.

21. liphook

liphook Member

Knob of butter Dino. The point is you can't make sweeping statements that are wrong and not get pulled up. If I'm wrong I'll hold my hand up. You obviously don't so are either ignorant or hard of thinking. Either way :gtfo:

22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor