1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Reducer

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Shirleycodlin, Dec 15, 2016.

1. DINOBOY

DINOBOY Member

Your problem is that you just have to twist the obvious. Not biting to your childish yip

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. STAN M

STAN M Member

:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy: Handbags at 30 paces .

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. liphook

liphook Member

Your problem is you don't understand much about
    A. blank production
    B. basic english

Enough of your ego now, just admit that you were wrong when you stated all Zziplex blanks are reinforced to take reducers. It's not difficult. Nobody is going to put a pin in your baloon:BigGrin:

5. STAN M

STAN M Member

Well I know a wee bit (more than a wee bit in fact) about blank production and I`m not too bad at English but I reckoned they were all reinforced as well, having said that they would not be if it were models designed before reducers, I must hang my head in shame, I am undone, my reputation (what little I had) is in tatters, doomed I tell you I am doomed :(:(:(:(:(:(

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. liphook

liphook Member

Stan you know I have massive respect for you and the work you produce. If I've offended you or anyone else then I'm sorry. I wasn't setting out having a pop at anybody but Dino is wrong and just not admitting it. Apologies that its REDUCED into a handbags jobbie involving a TUBE! But seriously, having rolled a few at the old Singer factory (and a few at DNs kitchen table!) and watched prodution at other well known factories, I've an insight to how it's done. Not saying I'm an expert like TC was but I did gleen quite a lot of info from him over time. Added to that I've watched carbon cloth (mostly but not all prepreg) used to create F1 car parts and masts for top end racing yachts. Those projects make rod production look positively stone age by comparison. Being inquisitive I asked all the techy questions that nobody really wanted to answer!
    So no not all Zziplex blanks are reinforced at the butt end - why would they be unless designed to take a reducer/extension? The lads in Liverpool use 'internal' strengthening by changing the flag pattern and lay up in the key areas. You could chop the blank up and find the different materials and dimensions if you were so inclined.
    Anyway I've said what needed to be said so will leave it at that. I'll sit back and wait for Dino to apologise :rofl:

7. STAN M

STAN M Member

What you on about lippy ?? Offended, me, you have to be kidding, I`m not one of the modern little buttercups, take a lot more than some forum posts to offend me I can assure you so no apology needed :gtfo:;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. liphook

liphook Member

I'm gone mate!

9. DINOBOY

DINOBOY Member

Lol you will be sitting back for a long time mate

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. liphook

liphook Member

You will be an ignorant eedjit for a while longer than that I suspect. Hard of thinking and short of substance would about sum up your stance so far. I doubt it will change but any way have a Happy Christmas Dino :poop:

11. DINOBOY

DINOBOY Member

So you keep saying but it ain't getting you anywhere is it?
    You just keep falling for your own silly game.

12. Shirleycodlin

Shirleycodlin Global Moderator - The Cod Obsessed one. Deputy Administrator Global Moderator

I only bl00dy asked about a reducer for a rod, not an effin lesson on what rods are strengthened to take them!
    And am still none the wiser about the size needed!
    Fortunately, a friend from the casting world has come to the rescue and has organised for some to be made for me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. saltzworth

saltzworth Member

glad you found a supply,the thread did seem to go off topic for a while there.i have always needed to improvise with old bits of rod turned down by hand.atb

14. DINOBOY

DINOBOY Member

Sorry Shirley but someone started going on about carp & uptide rods and blew it completely off topic.
    Good shout on the manufacture of some tho mate, she will need the extra leverage;-)

15. liphook

liphook Member

More sweeping half truths! Re read the posts Dino. Your wrong but can't admit it. What a shame for this thread and indeed section of the forum. A little knowledge really is a dangerous thing. So just to spell it out for you Dino - Not all Zziplex blanks are reinforced at the butt as you so boldly stated. Fact. Goodbye

16. Shirleycodlin

Shirleycodlin Global Moderator - The Cod Obsessed one. Deputy Administrator Global Moderator

Update:
    Have had some reducers made.
    Now for something interesting.
    Not all Zziplex beach rods were designed to take a reducer. Found out that one of the F1's Jax has was NOT designed for one, due to minus one wrap of carbon to allow the 22mm trigger grip to fit. :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. silly blanker

silly blanker Member

Hi Bud, Just stripped a Zziplex VMAX F1 for a pal, there is a reducer set into the butt of the blank. The reducer is 11" long and a definite step in the blank. The butt of the blank is around 27mm and the fitted reducer around dia 22mm. Whether this is original that I can't say. I believe the reducer was originally set into the butt sections to allow a smaller dia for the reel to sit on. I have made a further reducer to enable more comfort for reeling in. If your blank doesn't have a step in it then I have heard that the reducer is the same as the M4 series (19 mm) reference UK Hooks. By the way the butt of the blank is reinforced to a length of 3.5 to 4 inches, this above the fitted reducer (ie 22mm). If you require any dimensions for the additional reducer don't hesitate in asking.

18. sealine19

sealine19 Member

Try fitting the
    Shove the spigot from the
    Top section into the butt. Most of them will fit as most (?) are ground to the same internal taper
    Assuming that is so you can size the spigot with a Mike and get the correct size from that

19. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor