1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing - for a full statement please see the following thread:

VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing

Dismiss Notice

Reel up or reel down

Discussion in 'Casting' started by Gooseisloose, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Gooseisloose

Gooseisloose Member

So i thought i would start a thread to see what the most prefered option for casting is. Ill start off with reel down seems more cofortable and cn get a bit extra distance

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. chukka

chukka Member

Reel up for shorter rods or where spool grip isn't an issue ( eg a fixed spool)

Reel down for long multiplier rods or ridiculously powerful rods that are too powerful at full length.

Having the reel about 12 inches from the butt cap means your effectively casting a shorter rod.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Ftp900

Ftp900 Member

I used reel up on all my multi rods back in the 80s, , most were glass just moving into semi carbon ,really externally fast tapered rods that due to the materials and procesesses were a bit heavy so typically sub 13ft, since things progressed the lighter thinner longer rods seem to benefit from reel down , seems a lot better for spool grip too, still winding in is a monumental pain with these rods and I hate it , I even made some 24 inch reducers to try, bit dodgy tbh (obviously dont leave the reducers in for casting ), bought a butt harness now that ive stuck in my pocket so the reducer dont rip your groin out,end of the day if youve got 13ft of rod above your reel theres a huuuge amount of leverage, having reel up reduces this by , what 3ft??, you can stick the butt in your welly , against your leg etc , soo much easier , still , I tried this with the kompressors and they felt really wrong, with 13 ft tip tornado lights felt much better reel up , moral is try it and see i suppose you may find lighter shorter , reel up , just my opinion

• Like Like x 1
  5. Huss Hustler

Huss Hustler Member

Totally different to most but-
    Grey's Syntra's 13' 6", use multi's reel down.
    Grey Triplex 16fters, use both multi's & f/spools reel down.
    Rick;)

6. IMAndrew

IMAndrew Member

Like chukka says :)
    Carping, spinning, luring, jigging, boat hauling uptide and down tide, all prefers reels at the top.

Only instance where reel at the bottom is power casting with a longish rod for fishing with bait from the shore.
    It just feels right with the weight of the reel at the bottom to balance the rod. It also depends on the particular rod if it is suitable for it.

Effectively, since the distance of the reel to tip is now longer with the reel lower, it uses the whole length of the rod to compress. I am compressing 12 ft and probably 8 inches where I grip at the butt of the 13 ft total length. I have a short reducer that makes my rod 13 ft and 6 inches when I am winding in. My other rod is 14 ft total.

Makes the rod feel softer and easier to bend and compress with the extra length that now comes into play.
    My pendulum swing can therefore be slower, right before the snap crunch-time. If I have the reel up, I would have to rush my swing.

But some well known anglers can cast very well with reel up though. Probably with a bit shorter rods designed for reel up casting style, or over 14 ft continental rods.

7. Poseidon.

Poseidon. Previously sharkbait-oooo-ha-ha

It reely is a personal preference

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Wobbler72

Wobbler72 Member

Reel down all the way for me ...... cos I can't bend my right thumb ;)

9. saltzworth

saltzworth Member

if you find more comfort and distance use the reel low,i use the reel in either depending on rod and find distances similar.as chukka says overly long or powerful rods can be tamed by moving the reel about a foot from the bottom,so reducing overall length.normally when i use low reel i place it so there is just enough room for my hand to be secure on the rod below the reel,therefore the rod's casting length is the same as it would be with a high reel.on low reel rods i use a short extension for reeling in,i fit a good rubber button on the end for comfort so as not to dig in.rod diameter is also a determining factor for reel placement,i have a gs match with a tapered and relatively thick butt,i enjoy casting this reel down even though this means using the wider part of the butt.what ever you decide,it is always worth experimenting as when you change reel position you may find you have to slow things down a bit to accommodate the change.slowing things down can bring a few bonus yards.this is my recent experience both fishing and casting on the beach. atb and happy new year.

• Like Like x 1
  10. essexkenny

essexkenny Member

I definitely prefer casting with the reel low when using a multiplier (most of my fishing except when using my bass rod with a fixed spool and braid)
    Ive found it feels much more of a secure grip on the spool when casting, due to the hand seeming to wrap around the entire reel more.
    Used to always use reel up when i was younger as the first couple of rods had fixed reel seats, but do prefer a low reel since starting to cast/fish this way.

Also the reel is in a more comfortable position when reeling in again (fish on or not) being only 10" inches or so above the butt with my left hand a few inches higher up the rod.
    More confortable than have 2 1/2 ft of rod below the reel.
    Tuck it under the armpit and it puts strain on the wrist and back, otherwise it ha to be tucked into the groin, then the reel is too far away and puts a strain on the back reaching it. Tucking it between the legs is just a no lol.
    With the reel only 10" or so from the butt though, rod butt can be tucked into where my appendix used to be and all is good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. IMAndrew

IMAndrew Member

Funny, but don't see shore anglers or casters casting fixed spool with the reel down.

Can anyone find anything on Youtube casting or fishing with fixed spool down ?

Or is that not suitable ? :)

12. Huss Hustler

Huss Hustler Member

I fish f/spool reel down, when i use them but so far never bumped into anyone else who fishes the same way.
    Rick;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. stewart46

stewart46 Member

Gary Pye seems to use them reel down in all of his recent videos. I get the impression that it's more the northerners that use f/s down.

Just for the sake of the thread, I fish multiplier, reel down. I find it much easier to grip the spool and it feels a lot more natural than when using reel up.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. chukka

chukka Member

I'm a Northerner and definitely in the minority as I fish fixed spool reel up (multi down).

Been extolling the virtues of FS up but I think it's hard to change ingrained perceptions.

A lot of it I think stems from the use of poker stiff rods that are a bit of a handful reel up (T1000 being an example and very popular in my neck of the woods). Most simply cannot handle them at full length.

Definitely a bit of a my rods longer and stiffer than yours thing going on!!

• Like Like x 2
  15. chuckit

chuckit Member

Used low for years, moved it back high and much nicer for me :whistling:

• Like Like x 3
  16. dabhanded

dabhanded Member

i have heard it said off a few who have seen you cast and this is wth a trc wth reel up braid on f/spool and 200grms of lead plus bait would love to see it myself and its not that i disbelieve but would like to do it myself.as i sad i know you are doing realy well i haved taked about casting as we do.

17. chukka

chukka Member

I only just get away with it tbh, it's borderline length and power and I'm not getting any younger, unless your bigger, heavier and much stronger your really going to struggle. It's all about getting the lead wide and using body rotation and not powering in too early, the TRC tips are very very powerful and casting inside the tip just seems to lead to ring wraps. Tbh I'm coming to the conclusion that the rods about 14ft are lot more pleasant, the GB Fs and Big Beach mk2 are lovely on 6oz, maybe not casting quite as far as the TRC when your on it but definitely not as on off and much nicer braid "fishing" rods.
    There are a couple of things I like about reel up.
    Your expensive reels don't get trashed from sand or barnacles
    You can use your left hand properly to rip the rod around you which definitely adds a lot of distance.
    Retrieve is much easier with less leverage against you.
    Only negative, the butt rings always feel too close hence the use of a 40mm K Guide.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. dabhanded

dabhanded Member

sounds all sensible andy,

19. Stupidluke

Stupidluke Member

Have a look at the Kent Sportscast videos, Roly Cannon regularly hits 240 mrs doing pendulum with fixed spool down.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. gorby

gorby Member

I fish with all my rods reel down, once I tried it just seems more natural.....don't bother with a reducer just stick the butt cap under my beer gut......and reel about 10" up the butt!!! :whistling::whistling::whistling:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. poledark

poledark Member

Yep, me to, reel down whether multi or FS

Den

• Like Like x 2
  22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor