1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing - for a full statement please see the following thread:

VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing

Dismiss Notice

Reel up or reel down

Discussion in 'Casting' started by Gooseisloose, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Stupidluke

Stupidluke Member

How is that creative Chukka? I have seen him do it and the evidence is on Youtube. Have a look at Kent Sportscast 23/3/2016, what can't speak can't lie. A couple of times per year is still regular and even on his worse days he is well over 200 mtrs.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. chukka

chukka Member

240 metres is 260+ yards, regularly with a fixed spool that is why it's a bit Jackanory. Even a regular 240 yds with fixed spool is mighty impressive.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Stupidluke

Stupidluke Member

Have a look on YouTube. Kent Sportscast 23/3/2016.It was a decent day with a following wind but that was the same for everyone and I have seen Carter and co cast further. If you think 24o yards plus is impressive watch all the other Kent sportscast videos as he is often doing 220 mtrs+ regardless of weather conditions.

5. chukka

chukka Member

On the same day Danny Stone did 278 m on a multiplier in what look like perfect conditions. Not saying his cast is nothing but impressive it certainly is but to do it regularly is in the realms of dream land. I've seen casts over 300yds but they are not regular, certainly not at NESA. Not trying to be a smart arse but you are the one that mentioned regular and I disagreed. The definition of regular, is recurring at uniform intervals. That would mean every event.
    This is why a lot of people think casting 220 m plus is easy, there are lots of days when that is not possible unless your name is Moeskops or Carter.

6. Stupidluke

Stupidluke Member

That was the original question.

That was you original answer

And then having been proved wrong you start quibbling over the definition of regularly. I have seen Roly Cannon land a lead over the 240 mtr line on several occasions this year All using a fixed spool, reel down. That is regular enough for me.

7. IMAndrew

IMAndrew Member

Thanks guys for answering my query about using fixed spool reel down for distance casting and shore fishing.
    Thanks for your video links and putting up your hand to fishing fixed spool reel down.
    This is because I am about to do likewise.

The rods I have are traditional surf rods which I have always used with a multi reel down.
    Thinking of getting a Shimano Ultegra long cast bait runner fixed spool reel to use on these rods instead of multis for hounds.

I am not into modern rods or conti rods designed for casting fixed spool up.
    Having watched the videos on the links, think it is just so natural to cast and fish it fixed spool reel down on my type of rods.

1) Like some of you say, it is just in the most comfortable position to wind back and fight a fish with the butt in my waist belt rod holder fighting pad.
    2) Just use the fixed spool with the same reel seat position as the multi and don't have to worry about butt ring sizes.
    3) Looks so much easier to cast as the whole set up is more balanced with the weight at the bottom of the rod, and using the whole rod like an archery long bow same as my multi, so don't have to change my pendulum cast much.

Pretty straight forward then, cheers :) :happydance:

8. jackjock

jackjock Member

Reel down for me, fixed spool . Back casting. Reeling in is a doddle.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Fishylee76

Fishylee76 Member

10" up the butt! oh dear

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Stupidluke

Stupidluke Member

Be careful, that is what killed George Michael.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Cesar AA

Cesar AA Member

only on the field. reel down helps to use the left arm. or to bend the butt? or to cast further? im casting reel up and thinking into moving down

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. saltzworth

saltzworth Member

seen this done,makes perfect sense to me and something i will try sometime.not used a f/s for sea fishing for a long time,never got to do back casting but have always considered that low reel and f/s would be the method to try. atb

• Like Like x 1
  13. saltzworth

saltzworth Member

do it Cesar,you might like it straight away.in my case i struggled with the change but got into it later.now i like to switch between high and low,both positions have their pros and cons.low reel is fine for fishing if a little awkward at times,especially clearing weed from the tip jammed leader while your reel behind you is dangling in the sand. :oops: atb

14. OLD CROC2

OLD CROC2 Member

Go to youtube and type in john french or kent sportcast and there are plenty of casting videos including Roly Cannon casting with a F/S down

15. are soles fish?

are soles fish? Member

Hi John, hope you are well, I miss casting at Sutton Valence, damn inconsiderate of them to build on OUR field.

16. dabhanded

dabhanded Member

as for topic heading,maybe i am trying to be clever, but realy if you like reel up use it that way if not use other way simple realy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. IMAndrew

IMAndrew Member

Thanks old croc2. Visited SV once 15 years ago in 2001.
    Yes, most use multipliers mounted low.
    Roly Cannon avg 220m on fixed spool mounted low. Impressive.
    Might take me awhile to make the switch over from multi but would be nice to try.
    Cheers, Andrew.

18. OLD CROC2

OLD CROC2 Member

Yes, they were good days at S V although to be honest I don't think it would be big enough now, seeing as how the distances
    have increased.

19. Stupidluke

Stupidluke Member

It would still be big enough for me John, and only 5 minutes from my front door. We don't have to invite all those flash buggers up there:D

20. bri1960

bri1960 Member

Old Mr Medd was fishing along from me in a match up our way over Xmas and he was flinging it a good way on the backcast.Well impressed i was as i believe hes 74.And the mark we were fishing takes some getting to :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  21. jackjock

jackjock Member

Good stuff in these old parcels , was all that cod liver oil we was made to take when we where kids , yak.:frown:

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor