1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing - for a full statement please see the following thread:

VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing

Dismiss Notice

Removing A Reel Seat

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by STAN M, Jan 15, 2009.

1. STAN M

STAN M Member

And the last pic the MFI forum would not let me upload

Attached Files:

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. w3lchboy

w3lchboy Guest

:clap:its easy if you take your time i just use a dremmel 20 seconds its off job done , take off excess haroldite with heatgun , tape up the rod plenty of haroldite the stuff that takes 24hrs to go off not the 2min one thats crap /then on with the new seat ,,, i dare say its more harder with smaller rods as ive only done beachcasters ,,,:clap:

4. Ian Rycroft

Ian Rycroft Member

I have removed many of my reel seats by pouring hot water out of the kettle,it softens the glue without doing any damage to the blank and the seat just pulls of.

5. Fishyman

Fishyman Member

Great tip and good to know

6. afawtr

afawtr Member

wow. try a heat gun. done this loads of times. get the temp correct and the seat will slide of and so will most of the glue. of course, DONT OVER COOK YOUR BLANK !!!

7. MoJocvh

MoJocvh Member

Guys firstly thanks for a great sticky!

OK, bought myself an old C3ld Mk2 on impulse last week[!!!] needs rebuilding BUT it had the usual C reel seat.

I couldn’t move it at all, solid and I was thinking the worse...... it was pretty gubbed anyway so had a read of this sticky decided to have a go at getting it off.

reel seat had actually started to deteriorate and some plastic had broken off, I could see that it was ultra tight over the equally old shrink tubing so perhaps not glued on at all...

Despite near herniatic efforts couldn't budge it.....Hmm the previous owner had removed shrink from other parts of the butt so this once again wasn't looking good...
    However reading the sticky decided to line the reel seat along the thin track line with a couple of strokes of a sharp blade not all the way through just line it...

... now with the held of a cloth this time the seat split along the line and it just slid off!!!!

RESULT!!.

couldn't have done this safely or correctly without your contributions on this thread.

Thanks

Mo.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor