1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

removing paint from lures

Discussion in 'Lure DIY: Home Made Lures & Lure Fishing Tackle' started by Northgarden, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Northgarden

Northgarden Member

Hi I have a lure that I bought unfortunately the colour is not what I wanted. I was wanting to repaint it in a different colour. The question I have is what is the best way to remove the paint. Can I use something like Nitro mors to strip or will this melt the plastic.
    Also how difficult would it be to replicate the 500p colour?

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. briney

briney Member

Maybe check out the thread entitled "Reclaimed lure id", posts 1 and 12, at the bottom of the first page in 'Bass Lure Fishing".

The guy's done a great job.

George

• Like Like x 1
  4. ccltcdrgn69

ccltcdrgn69 Member

Hi mate.You can sand it down,but you will spoil the transparent look you need for a 500p.not tried nitro,but depends on what lure it is.if it's what I think it is, if you don't leave it on to long it should be OK.only way to paint it 500p style is with a air brush .nice and light.regards chris

5. Northgarden

Northgarden Member

Thanks it's starting to sound like a lot more work than I anticipated. I may just settle for white:p

6. sawnee

sawnee LURE TOSSER

Paint stripper will almost certainly eat the lure.
    Gentle wet sanding with a fine grade paper (600 grit) will take the paint off no problem.
    Once you think you have removed all the paint just dip the lure in water, this will turn it clear again and show all the bits you have missed.
    Once a coat of epoxy is applied the lure will go clear again and stay clear.
    As Chris as said you will need an air brush to get the 500g look

Hope this makes sense???

7. swansea Jack

swansea Jack Member

I Read somewhere that somebody used nail varnish remover but i have no experience of using it

8. marc portch

marc portch Member

There's no good way to do it with chemicals. You've got to be very careful when stripping paint off lures as most things attack the plastic and/or the glue that holds the lure together. I wouldn't use nitro mors on plastic as it will melt it.

Only infallible way is to sand them down, but you can then lose the fine details like scales etc. Once epoxied you won't feel the scale details etc anyway.

If you are thinking of using car spray paint then use it outside with a mask on mate.. it's dangerous stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Northgarden

Northgarden Member

Thanks. I've been looking at using chemicals to strip the pain and havent had much luck. Looks like sandpaper it is.

10. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor