1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing - for a full statement please see the following thread:

VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing

Dismiss Notice

Replacing ring with roller tip

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by NickK-UK, Dec 22, 2016.

1. NickK-UK

NickK-UK Member

I had some fun on sunday with my 50lb boat rod and large blonde rays in strong currents. I lost two rays - one with a 30lb mainline snap and one with a 40lb line snap. A multi with 50lb braid + 80lb+ snood seemed to be the order the day. Although the Spheros had enough drag I think..

I've replaced a ring on this before with a Fuji and all is well. However the tip ring is concerning me with the ring taking some grief so is it worth me changing this over to a roller tip ring?

I can see that the other rings are fine and they have less angular pressure when attempting to lift the ray or pull against the tide. Hence thinking adding a ring would go some way to helping.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. STAN M

STAN M Member

You could do if you wanted to but possibly the type of guide on at the moment is just a bit light. I`ve built dozens of rods for common skate using PacBay cradle guides and HD tips, never a need for a roller tip and commons go a wee bit bigger than blondes.

If you decide to opt for a roller you will have to look at Alutecnos, Everol, Winthrop or Stuart, they are all recessed rollers most others are not and you have a good chance of trapping braid between the roller and the frame if not recessed.

4. rch 1988

rch 1988 Member

Ive stuck a roller ring on my broom handle got it off the bay and no probs with it trapping braid

5. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor