1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing - for a full statement please see the following thread:

VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing

Dismiss Notice

RESIN OVER LONG DECALS, VIDEO (maybe)

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by STAN M, Jun 18, 2014.

1. STAN M

STAN M Member

Seems to be a subject that causes all sorts of problems so thought a video may help out. Not done one at this minute but with luck later today. In the meantime a few pictures to get started with. Not certain if they will show in sequence but sure you can work it out.

On the video, be kind to me, never done one in my life so doubt it will be that great but I can only try.

At this minute in time I don`t really have any long decals to do, most obvious are beach rods with zzipy / connie decals, (8-12 inch) or whatever but having said that I do have a 20lb rod for halibut to do (for me :ph34r:). Whilst the decal area is only around 6 inch there is also a butt wind and given the butt and first guide positions the application of resin from the winding check to the end of the first guide will be overall about 17inch. That has to go on in one application with the exception of the first coat onto the guides / butt wind. Covering that area in one coat is no different to a long decal in any shape or form. The second coat will be a continuous 17 inch application. If I can get the video to work I might as well show the resin application to the entire rod. The decals on the rod are my own waterslides that show hardly any edges.

The resin process will be in a sealed drying box which has a hinged lid and two front lift out sections. First job is to hoover out the box and then clean all over with normal kitchen worktop cleaner. Four Flex-coat, 18rpm dryer heads with slipping clutches and individual on off switches.

The black mess in the background and base is simply old, hardened spray paint from coating blanks. My old friend the dod of flooring in the bottom must be the best preserved bit of timber in the country, been under the dryers for around 10 years now catching drips and the likes. Keep meaning to replace it but it aint broke so not fixing it.

The other thing that is not broken is the resins and related consumables so I stick tried and tested, resin, CP, adhesives and brushes are all from one manufacturer and deigned to work together.

On the rod, with the exception of the metallic A under wrap threads, no CP has been used.

Anyway a wee start, with luck get back later with a Spielberg attempt :doh::doh:

If one of the mods spots this perhaps they can put the pics in sequence, can`t see anything on the " manage attatchments" to do this.

Just bear with me on the video, may work, may not, may take a couple of days, may end up in divorce or serious assault as herself is going to assist as producer and director.

Attached Files:

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Rossco99

Rossco99 Member

Look forward to the video Stan,

I like how you have tidied up first ;)

4. STAN M

STAN M Member

Ok guys and gals, finally got it done, first attempt so be kind. And before the comments start I know I need a haircut and a beard trimmer but I prefer the " brown overalls and pencil behind the ear look", mad scientist type of thing, vanity has never been high on my list of priorities :clap:.

I must give a big thanks to David ( Vid) the admin of River Clyde Fishing forum for making this wee video, he`s a good pal and really did manage to edit out all the sweary words, (he left the annoying fly in mind you :sad:) Never fails you try something like this and a fly buzzes you :nono: By the way check out a few of the other salmon / trout videos he has done for Clyde, best in last few years, 32lb (salmon, not trout)

Anyway as I say be kind, never tried it before, it`s on a Clyde Youtube thingie, if Mods find another way feel free but at the moment a link is best I can do.

It is not in English it is in Glaswegian so if you need a glossary of terms " darn sarf" then it can be provided for a small(ish) fee. Kidding guys, up here we talk twenty to the dozen so tried to slow the chat down but any queries just ask.

Hope it helps some of you on these "long" decals which are not in the slightest different to any other resin.

Earphones with a Glasgow dictionary and if stuck get in touch. Bit of luck a Mod will make it a sticky.

PS. Did not know Vid had panned across the certificates and things. The last one, an amberjack was not mine, it was caught by a great friend, (sadly departed) Dave Bird who, amongst many other angling related achievements, was also the original importer of Pacific Bay components to UK. Sadly missed.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    • Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Rossco99

Rossco99 Member

Brilliant video Stan, :)

I'd put it in #1 post so it's not missed

6. nuttyfisher72

nuttyfisher72 Member

Nice video Stan, top job.

7. CRB

CRB Member

Great video Stan!

8. Endurothumpers

Endurothumpers Member

Cracking video Stan very informative.

9. silly blanker

silly blanker Member

Thanks a lot Stan explains a lot

10. tatch

tatch Member

Great video stan that's going to be no end of help to a lot of people

11. north west piers

north west piers Marmite

Yep a great video.:):)

12. SHARKHUNTER

SHARKHUNTER Member

Top class video Stan. Thank you.

13. STAN M

STAN M Member

Glad you guys like it, never tried anything like that before but hope it helps somebody out. Made a few errors on terms as you will have noticed but easy to work out what I was meaning ( I hope) . Just waiting for notification of when I fly to L.A. for the Oscar.

14. captain albrow

captain albrow Member

Thanks for taking the time Stan, excellent advice, brilliant video. Regards Mark

15. fletty

fletty Member

Another thumbs up to stan for helping me out today

16. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor