1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Rod build project from scratch

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by STAN M, Sep 26, 2009.

1. STAN M

STAN M Member

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. johnsy1953

johnsy1953 Member

just brilliant nice one mate

4. lefty940

lefty940 Member

This is a great thread stan thanks

5. WIGHTFISHER

WIGHTFISHER Member

Good Post, very useful, Check out Diamond Sheen Polymer on eBay. It's just like the old Gibbs stuff that you can't get anymore.

6. nottah1

nottah1 Member

Hi,
    Just bought one of the Stonefly rotary fly dryer / rod turner with the chuck and support as mentioned by Stan M online from "The Essential Fly" .They are on special at the moment for £27.00 plus 20% discount and free shipping so works out at about £21.60 total.
    Cheers
    Pete

7. bristolspark

bristolspark Member

8. Brian3

Brian3 Member

A brilliant post!!! Very easy to understand. I am going to try it and save myself some cash - Thank you very much.

9. Joe Allen

Joe Allen Member

Very helpful thanks

10. fantastic thread cheers. going to reincarnate my dads old rods.

11. Rectro

Rectro Member

Just read through it all, thanks for this well put together tutorial, im going to give it a shot.

12. Hi stan. What's the score when your strengthening a spigot?

Underwrap. Over wrap
    Then put the guide on?
    Over wrap guides.
    Finish?
    How do you get a neat finish at the female end of the spigot? any tips or tricks

Thanks
    Sam

13. STAN M

STAN M Member

I`m popular today Sam, get all the questions over this week, full week off doing hand to hand combat with a new aluminium greenhouse and other "housy" things she wants before she bogs off to Espania next week with her mate (peace glorious peace) :doh::doh: First few days off since end January

Not 100% sure what you are getting at but as you mention both spigot reinforcing and guide wrap I`m guessing the guide may be more or less at or on top of the joint, (male or female).

Lots will tell you not to bother strengthening joints, my own practice is to over wrap the male joint a small amount and the female fully, normally visible externally by a build up of the carbon or glass. There is no real need to under wrap if the rest of the guides are not, the two guide feet wraps will form the reinforcing. If they are all under wrapped then treat exactly as any other guide.

Getting a neat finish at the end of the female is not that difficult, stop your reinforcing thread or trim band or whatever about 1/8 inch back from the end and simply feather the resin down to the end of the blank. I do it carefully with a hairdryer which allows me to move the resin in any direction I want so I can eliminate it going on to the male, (if in position say on a four piece rod) or any insert I may have used to allow me to put the section into the dryer, old bit of blank, whatever.

Over the next few days I`m hoping to put a wee video up about resin over "long" decals, if I get the video to work I will actually coat an entire rod I`m building for myself, no joints but the feathering over the thread wraps is exactly the same.

See how it goes and check the thread on this section re resin over long decals. Struggling to find out how to get sound working on the camera but herself may work it out, I`m carp at most things electronic so may be a day or two :wacko:

Pic below shows what I`m talking about on a four section fly rod, no difference on a beach rod , spinner or whatever. Othe pic shows a set of Cono-flex Triologies with the couple of guide wraps right on the female (guess which one for the lady) The triologies were specials done for me for travel and in three sections, the male spigot was heavily reinforced so did not need any longer wrap.

Attached Files:

14. Wonderful as alwayd. All questions answered!
    Even with my cryptic question!
    Many thanks

15. CRB

CRB Member

Nice pic of the fly rod Stan... loved the color scheme... I've never considered using grey as every time I imagine it, it kind of looks dull in my head but now looking at what you've done... I like it. Time to buy some grey thread. :D

16. STAN M

STAN M Member

That was a Harrison blank and the thread was Pac Bay GM Grey stay true with silver trim bands at butt / decal, first guide only and then at the joint threads

17. CRB

CRB Member

Thanks Stan... the more I look at your pic...the more I like the grey on black... not too over whelming either... hmmm.. I have a #3 ,4 pc fly blank that I want to build but have been debating on the color scheme and reel seat. I think I will go with grey now looking at yours... as for the reel seat.. I got a silver Pac Bay size 5/8". (Similar to the pic below). But it looks kind of big for a #3 blank and it is also bigger than the reel seat on my Airflo Bluetooth... I have been contemplating about making one that will look the part. Just need to source some material from my local metal offcuts shop.

[​IMG]

18. captain albrow

captain albrow Member

Hi Stan
    Just built my Zziplex Profile EVO, followed your sticky to the word and the results are excellent, thanks for all your help so far. Kind Regards Mark

19. STAN M

STAN M Member

Glad it helped you Mark, remember not written in stone, many, many ways to achieve the same end result, adapt a bit and discover methods that may suit you better. I use totally different methods on 80 and 130lb trolling rods than those I use on 3 and 5# fly rods.

If I could suss out this darned video thing I stick up the "long decal" dod that seems to give problems to quite a few.

20. captain albrow

captain albrow Member

Thanks again Stan, the Meths and synthetic wire wool really does the trick, Very kind regards Mark, Ill send you some snaps when its cured.

21. SuperBassMaster

SuperBassMaster Member

Whats the best way to strip a rod back ready for a build? Im gonna have a go at an old greys apollo!

22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor