World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Rod rings

919 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  sniggle 
#1 ·
Looking to get some rod rings for
Two Zziplex blanks can't decide between minima 4 tich or Fuji Alconites Black !, I have had Black Alconites before on a rod years ago and the finish wore pretty quick have they improved??

#5 ·
I think the minima 10mm has a larger bore then alconites do. I thought the size referred to the inside diameter, but I had a primo syncro last year and leader knot sounded awful with 10mm alconite. Another rod I have is 10 mm minima with no trouble.

#6 ·
Nowt wrong with the alconites but the black coating does wear quick. 10`s or 12`s depends on the rod I suppose, 10`s handle most things, some people like 16`s ??? Not sure what the modern thinking is as I don`t touch beach rods these days (or rarely). Back to the dark side today :( finishing off a highlander but it`s a one off for porbeagle from the shore, even that has a 10 tip but HD PacBay cradle guides.
I think the minima 10mm has a larger bore then alconites do. I thought the size referred to the inside diameter, but I had a primo syncro last year and leader knot sounded awful with 10mm alconite. Another rod I have is 10 mm minima with no trouble.
Hi , Have already bought 12 mm alconite tip rings but undecided on whether to go with minima tich 10 s or 12s to match!!

#10 ·
I went from black framed Alconites to the polished stainless steel Alconites...similar pricing, looks spectacular when finished. Top end, I use the single leg versions, and a size 10 fly rod ring next to the 10mm tip ring.

PTR

#11 ·
Used to use a lot of PacBay products, specifically on surf rods, and after some severe problems with the quality of the material (stainless steel???) used to make their frames; we switched to Fuji - about 10 years ago. Since then we haven't looked back, and found that our faith in Fuji has been well founded; and seen through a lot of repair work to factory built rods, that we are repairing a lot where PacBay guides have failed - in some cases replacing all the PacBay guides for Fujis for clients.

With Minimas, both series, the problem is compatability with braid in heavy surf fishing and the overall robustness of the frames - they get bent with slight knocks.

Never had an actual problem with Alconite ceramic inserts, very braid compatable and nylon friendly.Even the cheaper 'O' series (BNOG & NOG) are very good.

But no rings will take so much abuse that the ceramic inserts might not break or chip; however we see 100% more with cheap Chinese rings having problems than Fuji.

As Phil points out, if the scratching of the black coating on Fuji guides is a problem, try firstly not scratching or abusing them, or switch to plain polished stainless steel.

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

#12 ·
The thing is with minimas if you bend them you can bend them back and finish the days fishing.
Bend a couple of alconite liners and you are going home !
The beaches here can be pretty hard with weather to match but the fish are much softer.
Pretty much all our beach caught shark could be used for Bronze Whaler livebait .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.