1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing - for a full statement please see the following thread:

VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing

Dismiss Notice

Saltwater rod and reel help

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fly Fishing' started by Chris BVF, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Chris BVF

Chris BVF Member

Morning all. I've been spinning and beachcasting in saltwater for 30 years and fancy giving saltwater fly fishing a go. I also do a fair bit of trout fly-fishing so I can cast, tie flies and set up fly gear etc.

I have a budget of around £300. Can anyone help me with suggestions for a rod and reel? I'm thinking 8 weight. I'll be using it for pollack, coalies and wrasse on the west coast of Scotland. Bass would be a nice bonus.

Obviously I'd also need a fly line, recommendations for the cold Scottish waters appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Chris

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. SALTWATERFLY

SALTWATERFLY Guest

Its a good budget

For the rod, I'd dpend £230 on the BVK 8wt 9foot 4 section, really superb, excellent lifetime warranty and 5 star after sales.

http://www.pecheur.com/en/gb/buy-fl...ml?gclid=CKO1ksW2ls8CFQkq0wodlbQHPw#af=393329

For the reel, I'd spend around £15 + £9.99 spare spool on the Airframe 7/9 graphite reel.

https://www.fishingmegastore.com/okuma-airframe-fly-reel~2097.html

For the line

Plenty of John Norris lines to chhose from, either the P3 or big fly at around £13

https://www.johnnorris.co.uk/fishing/fly-lines.html

Spent your budget, good selection above

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Solent area

Solent area Guest

Great choice of rod saltwaterfly and set up on £300 budget

5. piker20

piker20 Member

I would spend a little more on a line that has a pronounced front taper. Makes pushing into the wind easier.

And for fishing anything subsurface I like to make my own shooting head from Di5 or Di7 lines that are cheap off the net.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Solent area

Solent area Guest

Hmm never used a shooting head bit of a embarrassing thing to say lol
    As been fly fishing 20 years and can cast a full line 15 yards into backing on a good day wind behind me and teach casting from working at a trout fisher on the side,not a professional teacher on casting as a job just get more satisfaction on improving people new to the casting in a easy style to be honest

Is there any advantages in huge distance piker ? As I use the old orvis fly line as you know bit longer ,or do you find it easier to combat wind only ?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2016
  7. piker20

piker20 Member

I find casting a full sinking line a complete pain. I tend to use flies with dumbell eyes- clousers etc or flies with bulky shoulders, EP minnows etc and find that I can make a head that loads my #8 rod from a #12 line that is relatively short, easy to lift and shoot, just makes it all easier for me.
    Also there is less wastage when the line is worn on rocks or sand. Just a head being changed.

Shooting line management is necessary and I make a cheap line tray from an Ikea stool, golf tees and a wading belt.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Solent area

Solent area Guest

Thanks mate makes alot of sence on rocks

9. piker20

piker20 Member

If you follow lots of internet threads you can find grain weight to load your rod and then you chose a short stumpy head or a longer head that weighs same. Then just a couple of hauls and watch it sail.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Otisthedog

Otisthedog Member

£300 will buy you a secondhand sage (I'd go xp, z-axis or rplxi etc), a vision koma and an airflo 40+ or sixth sense line in whichever density to suit your fishing (I'm guessing di3, 5 or 7 where you are). Alternative to the sage would be a guideline Lpxe. I presume it may be often windy where you are, in which case a typical shooting head / running line setup (depends on the running line) will do your head in with regards to tangles. I much prefer a full line.
    Line trays are a pain but vital.

11. Otisthedog

Otisthedog Member

oh, and yes I reckon 9ft-10ft 8wt is about right

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  12. M.O.Lech

M.O.Lech Member

Must admit I would go with SWF on this, the warranty on the BVK is second to none , I snapped a section, emailed the details and had a replacement from the states in 3 days. Second hand high end rods rarely come with the warranty which is a large component of the price when new and in my opinion the actual performance of a midrange modern rod is as good. Lines I find shooting heads a nightmare in coastal winds, I only use them for T14 T17 sinking heads. The John Norris lines are better than the price suggests and you can cast into snaggy ground without worrying about your £60 line. A good adage is sinking line short leader buoyant fly floating ling longer leader weighted fly. The reel he suggests is so cheap as to be disposable but I have a couple over 10years old still working perfectly and it will do all you require in the UK.
    And you will need a line tray.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Otisthedog

Otisthedog Member

Replacement sections can be bought for both sage and guideline rods, warranty card or not. It may cost you a little extra (circa £50) if you need to buy one, but they would still be my first choice. And always airflo for sinking lines for me - prices are usually sub £30 if you look and the coatings are tough.

14. Chris BVF

Chris BVF Member

Thanks for all your help everyone, some very interesting tackle suggested. I'd never have went with a cheap reel like that but have to say it looks pretty good!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Chris BVF

Chris BVF Member

Is the BVK rod designed for saltwater?

16. SALTWATERFLY

SALTWATERFLY Guest

The 8wt is certainly, designed by Lefty Krey (hence the BVK - first name Bernard) probably the most respected name on the US Saltwater scene.

Several experienced friends have them and rate them very highly.

TBH, I dont have one myself but I have cast mates and they are superb, just that they don't suit my style. They are a cannon!

• Like Like x 1
  17. SALTWATERFLY

SALTWATERFLY Guest

They are graphite, bomb proof disposable if they go wrong, which my two are in their 11th year of abuse. I do have hi end reels, but for UK work, they are admirably suited.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SALTWATERFLY

SALTWATERFLY Guest

Like Lou, I'm no fan of shooting heads. They may give a few extra yards and purportedly help in swift change of lines BUT, they are as subtle as a flying brick, prone to running line tangles You can always carry a spare spool for quick changes. They are mischievous in wind and virtually impossible to mend the line, slowing a drift.

Much better is the WF line, especially in wind, if you can, use some time to gain distance by learning to cast well.

I'd give them a wide berth

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  19. Solent area

Solent area Guest

thanks for info guys on shooting heads ,has filled the gaps in after using weight forward lines for years myself

20. andy1967

andy1967 Member

Double Haul would be useful m8

21. MakesNoSense

MakesNoSense

I never understand why people starting something new feel the need to spend so much money and everybody else just helps them spend it without hesitation. £230 for a rod? Any decent second hand carbon 9ft #8 with a medium fast taper will do the job. Simple cork handle, full wells grip and a Fuji dps reel seat. 2 piece. There are hundreds available on the usual selling sites, many in mint condition, for anything from £30, some of those rods were state of the art in there day.
    There is nothing you will catch from the shore in the UK that you cannot land on a rod like that.

22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor