1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing - for a full statement please see the following thread:

VerticalScope Inc has acquired WorldSeaFishing

Dismiss Notice

Shock Leader

Discussion in 'Beginners and Improvers' started by Shaun Robinson, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Shaun Robinson

Shaun Robinson Member

Hi All

I currently use a tapered shock leader 15-50lb on my penn surfblaster 8000, with 15lb sensor surf main line.

Within the last month or so I have had 2 of the leaders break on the thin part of the shock leader (The Knot was still attatched) My local beach is mainly clean but I was snagged on a big rock or something. I have read that people do cut a length off the thin end of the leader. Is this normal practice? Or do people mainly use the 50-60lb shock leaders, weasel ect?

Many Thanks

Shaun

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Roryk11

Roryk11 Member

Had an issue like yours same shock leader switched to rovex 18 - 60lb no issues since bar regular snags ect won't break the bank either

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stubby73

Stubby73 Member

Even with Varivas 18-70, or the Rovex I still take off about 4 or 5 ft from the end. Snapped a couple just getting stuck in mud and with almost no effort, I also changed my knot to a spider-hitch & 5 turn yucatan. Line breaks are now usually at the yucatan knot, as you might expect but it takes a lot of pulling. I now have a lot more trust the knot as well as having really heaved on it have had few snap a couple of inches into the leader, with some breaks in the main line instead.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jackjock

jackjock Member

My preference is to just use a ordinary shock leader. The benefits is full strength along the leader and there cheaper as .

6. Shaun Robinson

Shaun Robinson Member

Thank you for the replies guys. Out of interest, what main line do you all use?

7. Roryk11

Roryk11 Member

Berkley trilene 15lb clear and green good line for me so farming the 60lb great for rig bodies

8. Boycehunter

Boycehunter Member

I use tapered and cut the thin end out till I've got roughly the same diameter as main line, it's the best compromise I've found.

9. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor