1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

Soft Inflatable Boats & Kayaks

Discussion in 'Boat Angling / Angling Afloat' started by Overki11, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Overki11

Overki11 Member

Hi all, not sure if this is in the correct section for posting but after some advice regarding the above.
    Looking to purchase firstly a SIB and maybe at a later date a kayak. Just looking for what would be the best equipment firstly for the SIB! Already purchase life jacket (first on the list) and a small Rovex kayak rod. The SIB i'm hoping to get is approx 8ft in length and will only be used in bays and approx 200-300 yards offshore, looking as to what else i would need. Plans are to get 2.5hp engine even though the sib comes with an electric motor but unsure whether that would be up to the job, 2kg max anchor setup, flares, preferably some kind of wireless fish finder and gps system and some kind of rod holder which could be used on an inflatable etc.
    Unsure whether a radio because i'd only be fishing at max 300mtrs from sure around the South West Wales coast and hoping to still be in an area so i can pick up a signal on my mobile.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Gilly1966

Gilly1966 Member

If your only fishing that far out just get a kayak you are wasting you money on a sib iv had a sib for a while now and the fishing is great off it but you have to go and find the fish and that can take you out a lot further than you think and that engine won't be up for the job and you also need insurance if you buy a sib buy new and don't scrimp on the safety gear you said 3 hundred yards out that is very deep when you get in bother join a forum and get the right equipment or you could get yourself into trouble safety first and then fishing good luck Neil

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Ron Willmer

Ron Willmer Member

I have a Honwave 3 mtr sib with a 6 hp mariner outboard which I'm having to sell due to not being to pull it up the beach ( old age). Found it great for fishing of the shoreline.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Jonny w

Jonny w Member

I have the same set up as you Ron....I bloody love it...can launch it anywhere, light to carry (with 2 of u)....over, I asked a question the other day on here about radios...I got some great advice, check out the thread....u may not be going far off shore, but it's far enough if something goes wrong....I was going to get a cheaper radio set up then thought twice after the advice on here...it may save ur life...how much can u put on that...but yea, as mentioned above, the honwave I ve got is sound and I ve loved going out in it!! Launching it at chesil cove (if u know the area) was no problem!! A decent radio comes with GPS by the way...I ve been told standard horizon are a good make!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jonny w

Jonny w Member

Also I always wear a wetsuit when I go out...ur gonna get wet launching and whilst out in an inflatable so I ve found it helps...plus waterproof coat to keep warm!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Clinker

Clinker Member

I fish from my tender SIB - 10ft long with a 10hp outboard. It's about as small as I would want to go, but 8ft will probably be OK if you're only by yourself. Everyone worries about hooks with an inflatable - but my experience is that a fillet knife is the risk!
    I used to have a 2.5hp outboard - enough to push it OK, but will only do about 5 or 6 knots.
    When I go out in mine I have a day/night flare attached to my lifejacket (auto inflatable) and I wouldn't dream of going without my waterproof VHF also clipped to my lifejacket and attached by the lanyard so it can't get too far from me - even at only 200-300 yards it could be a lifesaver - I have an iPhone in a waterproof case, but I can't imagine being able to successfully making a call from it were I in the water - and even in the boat, you can only call people who's number you have (I have the CG in my contacts) - VHF goes out to everybody in range (a potential rescuer might only be a few hundred yards away). Also if a lifeboat is searching for you, they can get a direction to you from VHF transmissions.
    Go for a DSC with a built in GPS (then no need to buy a handheld GPS), not only can you save money (a DSC handheld can be bought cheaper than the price of a separate non-DSC handheld and a handheld GPS), you can also summon rescue and give an exact location by just pressing the emergency button.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. stray

stray Member

It's not the £199 one on EBay is it?

[​IMG]

If it is, DON'T waste you money, it's a toy, it's no better built than a cheap LiLo.

Apologies if it isn't, just that "comes with Electric motor" rang alarm bells.

If you want a SIB, look for one with 3 separate air chambers, plus high pressure floor, or solid floor with inflatable keel and a solid transom, with the tubes made from a good quality PVC. Better to buy good quality second hand than cheap new.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Jonny w

Jonny w Member

That looks like something kids would play in!!

10. Overki11

Overki11 Member

Thanks, some great info there.

11. Overki11

Overki11 Member

Funny enough i did take a quick look at that but thought nah. It does look as though its the same electric motor mind, all i know is that it's a T18 motor. There is one i found on on the auction site for £300 and i believe it's called Classic and there is one called the zodiac, not sure what they're are like.

12. Overki11

Overki11 Member

Thanks all for the great info, much appreciated.

13. Clinker

Clinker Member

Avoid anything like that for use on anything more challenging that a swimming pool or a tiny leisure park type lake - as noted, they are toys not real boats. You need something like this as a minimum and even then it's a little small to be practical:- http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/Inflatable-Boats-for-Sale/-2-6-ar/91253

This is what I have, but I removed the inflatable deck and replaced it with plywood deck which transformed the way the boat handles in anything but a mirror calm sea. http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/Inflatable-Boats-for-Sale/mercury-quicksilver-310-air/147033

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Overki11

Overki11 Member

Thanks Clinker much appreciated, do like the look of the Mercury to be honest. You able to pack it up and pack it in the boot etc. Planning on keeping it down the caravan in New Hedges and be used mainly just off Amroth. Would you say a 2.5hp be ok on there?

15. Clinker

Clinker Member

You would need a big boot - in a Focus/Astra sized car, you have to fold the seats down. If you stay in the bay between the west end of Pendine and Tenby North Bay you will be fine with 2.5hp if you're not in a hurry to get anywhere - if you want to head into Caldey Sound and over to the island (which would take quite a long time to get to from Amroth with 2.5hp of course), unless you want to plan your trips to run with the tide, I would think more like 6hp which will be enough to get in on the plane if it's just you in the boat.

16. Jonny w

Jonny w Member

I got a mondeo and fishing gear boat and engine fit in the car with the seats down...I got a 5hp motor...don't think I'd wanna go with less that that!

17. Muffy

Muffy Member

For £300 you will be able to get a half decent 4-5hp petrol outboard
    My mate has a beat up old estate car and all we do is strap the inflated boat straight on the roof, with two of us it is very easy

18. Gilly1966

Gilly1966 Member

Forget that 2.5 you won't in joy what you are doing you might as well row

19. Yabadabadoo

Yabadabadoo Member

Couple of websites below with loads of info for SIBS

On ribnet there's a post listing useful/lifesaving things to take with you

I'd say at least take
    1. Anchor and warp
    2. VHF radio
    3. Lifejacket

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/

http://f-ribsandsibs.com/viewforum.php?f=47

If the engine packs up make sure you've got some oars, if you get caught out by tide with no power put the anchor out until help arrives

We are still one of the least regulated countries in Western Europe when it comes to the sea, the RYA champion this as it encourages people to use the sea but they expect people to do so (as does the RNLI) with caution and safety in mind

I like that approach and have had a few days in my sib (Honwave) over the last couple of years with a smile on my face, weird at first to use the anchor by the way but very reassuring after that!

Be safe, have fun!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Pete E

Pete E Member

Not to start any arguments with the SIB users here, but for the same money as a half decent RIB you could get a used 12ft GRP dinghy, possibly even with the trailer...

If you have somewhere reasonably secure to store it at your caravan, you might find it a more practical/enjoyable than a SIB....This set up might me easier to trail locally than loading and unloading a deflated SIB from the back of your car and then blowing it up before you start fishing, and then packing it away when you finish ect

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  21. Clinker

Clinker Member

But you also get into storage costs at the caravan site (unless you're very lucky) having to go to a launch site rather than just a beach that you can carry the dinghy onto, find somewhere to leave the trailer etc (all difficult at the beach the OP mentions) - plus I've been out in my 10ft SIB in seas that I would not be happy to be in a 12ft hard dinghy - all horses for courses which you have to weigh up. One option for a 10ft SIB is to put it on a roof rack if you don't want to inflate/deflate it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor