1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

2. 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet - 20th-27th of May

"As a lot of you will know, we have an annual boat meet at Portland (Dorset) which all are welcome to attend."

Read more: 2017 WSF Portland Boat Meet

Dismiss Notice

stolen boats

Discussion in 'Boat Owning, Equipment and Maintenance' started by murky depths, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Maywood

Maywood Guest

I keep asking the loss assessor,why are there not a list of stolen engines so that when somebody goes to buy parts it flags up. == Pat

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. richyc

richyc Member

try visiting www.stolenboats.org.uk if you have your engine serial number thatll be a great help, even the serial numbers on your boat, those who still have their boats, write them down, you cant read em when your boat isnt there!

4. murky depths

murky depths Member

you are right richyc..i never had my number..and the BU529 on the sides would have been peeled off and the white boat ould have been resprayed as the new gelcoat under the reg No would still show.i have seen 3 boats for sale on the web which i could say looked just like mine..give or take a few minor changes but other than the modifications and a few other things i would have had a job to prove it was mine..looking on the web site i just cant belive the amount of boats that are stolen..its about time every boat had its own reg number that stays with it untill the end..and it should be law that its displayed at all times...the scum would loose the stolen boat market over night..it works with nearly half a million ships on the worlds oceans so it can work with private boat

what miffed me off was last year my mate took his boat to dartmouth plaice bashing,while driving through totness at 6am they where stopped by the police as their reg plate had gone missing off the trailer board..they gave them a quick chat about it and let them go??no id check?just were you come from and were you gowing and have a good day boys..that could have been somones £17k pride and joy on the back!!!

5. TomBettle

TomBettle Guest

Hi Guys

Please keep an eye out for a stolen Tohatsu 8Hp outboard.

It has been stolen sometime between last Saturday and this morning from a boat on a swinging mooring at Parkstone Bay in Poole.

Model:
    M8BLEX
    S/N 010266

If you here of it or stumble across it, please can you let us and the police know. Our customer, who's boat it was pinched from is going to the police station now and will be getting a crime number.

Thanks for your help and vigilence.

Tom

6. Para Handy

Para Handy Guest

Having spent 18yrs in France, I couldn't agree more with the need for international boat registration for security purposes. Mine was moored 25km from the Spanish border, but registered in France, with great big reg. nos. on the side. A few boats were stolen from the moorings, but they were almost all British - no reg., = no papers required to sell them on in Spain.

Ian Barrett, with his 19ft boats and his contacts in the EU with his shark conservation project should have enough clout to start something. Surely an EU-wide policy with the UK accepting international standards (a first?) would be good for both owners and insurers. Maybe too much to hope for that we would save enough on reduced premiums to offset registration costs, but it would be a step, I think, in the right direction. At least it would screw up the thieves.

7. Maywood

Maywood Guest

I have to agree as I guess most other members,I just wonder why Insurance company's do not insist on this becoming law, it is not until your boat is stolen that it begins to hit home,more so if you are not insured to the value of what is stolen,we all purchase a boat,then start adding all the bits and pieces needed,then forget to add this to the policy,in my case I re`placed the outboard,and what I eventually was paid did not even cover that,so lesson learnt the hard way,but as to registering we should try raising a petition and badger this government (but dont hold your breath) and hope some minister will take action.

8. imperimus

imperimus Member

Not sure what the right answer is but something should be done. Criminals will always find away to get around things, just like car cloning which is now happening a lot.

9. murky depths

murky depths Member

even though i got another boat i would just like to remind the theaving feckers that its my boat,did have a yammah 25 auto lube, the steering seat is a wooden seat,whale gusher pump std side aft..on the steering consol there is a square hole cut out for a switch panel..this was coverd with wood..compass is screwed std side next to the ford hatch cover..i have 5 items inside the shell of the boat that will prove its mine plus i kept every tin of paint i used on her(forensics),her originl deck paint was yellow..the bow roller pin is a nylock bolt..the rest i will keep to id when i get it back..and i will..one day..3 boats on the web for sale..1 looks like mine after a new paint job,even if its not ..i have contacted the police..sorry if you get a visit from them and its your boat..im sure you would do the same..i have put some things on yer incase you are looking at one of the 3 boats that are for sale..wouldnt want you buying a stolen boat guys

[​IMG]

10. Maywood

Maywood Guest

Same here I still check Fly Bay every day still hopeing.

11. The Invalid

The Invalid Member

Do any of you boat owners ever Fibreglass your postcode or secret number somewhere on the boat? Even bond in a tracker transmitter?

I used to have a Norman 20 on the Canals and simply bought black letters and bonded in my driving licence number underneath the front deck.
    When I sold the boat I gave him a letter with those numbers on it authorising him to use them, but any code personal to you could be bonded in somewhere secret, or even bonded in outside on the Transom for everyone to see. It would then be obvious to all if it had been removed.

Has anybody spoken to Tracker about there being a tracker unit for boats

12. Why Worry Angling Charters

Why Worry Angling Charters Member

13. Ticketty Boo

Ticketty Boo Member

If this price came down a bit, would anyone consider it instead of theft insurance? What would be the pros / cons of that? Accidental damage / 3rd party insurance would still be required.

14. tony1412fishing

tony1412fishing Member

its not always good news , some years back i used to have a boat moored in weston, one night checking my boat i scared off two people trying to nick an engine off another boat, on looking i noticed that they cut through the cables and chain securing the engine, i called the police who came out, but we couldnt trace the owner of the boat, the engine was hanging where the transom bracket was undone the police agreed that i could lock it on my boat out of the way while they stuck a notice on the boat telling the owners to get in touch. the next day the owners came to my place asking about their engine and the thieves, i took them to my boat gave them the engine, and all i got was verbal abuse about the condition of the engine where the thieves had damage the cowling trying to get the motor off, i ended up wishing i let it be stolen, after all the greif i had trying to do someone a favour, not a hint of gratitude.

15. Cascars

Cascars Boat Moderator
    1. The Quicksilver Owners Club

GPS trackers are available on Ebay for as little as £99 plus the cost of a prepaid sim.

16. ivacaughtabigone

ivacaughtabigone Member
    1. Newhaven Anglers

hi guys ,hope you all get your boats back,a lot of time aswell as money goes into them- i have upgraded all my electronics ect which are not on insurance will be sorting that straight away -would having the boat name etched on windows not be a good starting point- also if insurance companys reduced premiums when we had these sort of things done,something should be started to stop this- have a good xmas

17. TomBettle

TomBettle Guest

Stolen from Shell Bay boat yard.

Lifted (yes nicked off the back of) from a Merry Fisher 625 a Suzuki DF115TL, 2006 engine. Serial Number 683822.

Also stolen was the inflatable dinghy stored inside the boat and the Suzuki DF6 that was under the dinghy.

...apparently the CCTV and the security lights were both broken!

Note, I know the owner and he has asked me to put the word out.

Crime Number 12909
    Officer PC Yates Number 1779
    Tel Wareham 01929 552222

If anyone is offered anything suspicious, please contact me or the police direct.

Thanks

Tom

18. I am going spinning

I am going spinning Member

19. valhalla14

valhalla14 Member

Hi All,
    There is also a section on boats and outboards website to post information and pictures of your vessel's,sorry to hear about your losses and hope this help's! :victory:

20. Mican60

Mican60 Member

21. iseaall

iseaall Member

Got pulled over from Anglesey on the way home with the boat
    nice friendly police man asked if the boats was mine and any proof of ownership
    bit hard to prove to be honest but had my Mersey membership badge in the window and one of our club stickers with the boats number in the window
    took all my details and let me on my way
    also informed me that they will be stopping all boats on the A55 for the next 3 months
    thanked the guy shook his hand and was back on the road in 10 mins
    but how long before we get people moaning about being pulled

22. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor